My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I want one in the worste way but i dont know anyone that has one. I asked this question on a lawn forum and it never got answered. We do lawncare and these seem fast, also seem great for getting on and off of it. Looks very straight forward repair wise and also i think it would be comfy...??? Commets please.
Not sure if your question was answered - In my opinion the answer is clearly NO! I use them all day long without issues on the knees but maybe the wrists :) LOL! .... they are the clear favorite of LCO's around here for a reason...solid support network is key for any success of course but they are great machines....it will make fast work in mowing lawns - for your business you will see a return on your investment - completing jobs faster, enabling you to be more productive. For personal use, no money in the pocket but you save time to do other things :)

·
Plow Day Man!
409 Posts
Not sure if your question was answered - In my opinion the answer is clearly NO! I use them all day long without issues on the knees but maybe the wrists :) LOL! .... they are the clear favorite of LCO's around here for a reason...solid support network is key for any success of course but they are great machines....it will make fast work in mowing lawns - for your business you will see a return on your investment - completing jobs faster, enabling you to be more productive. For personal use, no money in the pocket but you save time to do other things :)

if i were just mowing my house, no i wouldn't buy one either. but from a business pov they are great. why would your wrists hurt? haha, i only use mine to push the levers.

also trailer space is no issue for me, so if the toro is a little longer so be it, i could buy another ztr and still have room. they are so many nice machines out there, so little money to buy all of them haha...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
if i were just mowing my house, no i wouldn't buy one either. but from a business pov they are great. why would your wrists hurt? haha, i only use mine to push the levers.

also trailer space is no issue for me, so if the toro is a little longer so be it, i could buy another ztr and still have room. they are so many nice machines out there, so little money to buy all of them haha...
I should have said fingers because your index fingers and thumbs are in constant motion - the same can be said on the Toro.

Im not bashing the Toro brand, but there are specific criteria that matters to many, and such as the decision that ultimately has to be made by the LCO. Space on a trailer matters to most - the more machines you can fit, the more lawns that can be completed in a set area at once.

I see length as a direct effect to nimbleness, and ease of navigation in tight areas. You can see it on Toro's website as well as videos on Wright Standers...the stance of the operators feet (directly over the wheels play a huge part on hills and being able to shift weight where you need it)..
Great Dane is no longer around, and for some of these reasons -

If your in the business, then you make the decision thats best for you - factoring in all thats required to make the call. Comes down to personal choice in the end...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
yes they are....
Youre correct, I thought I heard it somewhere recently - not sure if Ariens recently got involved with them, or if recent cash flow issue caused a rumor to spread - dont even know if true or not but nothing surprises me with today economy. Also with Deere taking over Lesco, that had to hurt Great Dane presence.

Anyway lawnsite has much more info on these products - for the sake of sounding way too biased, I will let the others do the talking

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250201&highlight=great+dane

·
Plow Day Man!
409 Posts
Youre correct, I thought I heard it somewhere recently - not sure if Ariens recently got involved with them, or if recent cash flow issue caused a rumor to spread - dont even know if true or not but nothing surprises me with today economy. Also with Deere taking over Lesco, that had to hurt Great Dane presence.

Anyway lawnsite has much more info on these products - for the sake of sounding way too biased, I will let the others do the talking

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250201&highlight=great+dane

Deere bought and now sold great dane, apparently to ariens....

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
There is a very interesting download from Wright Mfg. that certainly explains the difference in positioning - keep in mind they have the patents and under license dole them out to the competitors. Of course this may have a slight slant in Wrights favor because it is a marketing brochure - but reading through it, it might make some sense.

http://www.wrightmfg.com/uploads/files/wrightcomparisonposter.html

I'm also not trying to be negative toward Toro, Great Dane or Deere products. Honestly they all make great products and I would be tickled pink owning any one of them. Its interesting to look into the design history of these machines and where a lot of it came from. Points back to one or two individuals, who now have their own companies (Wright Mfg.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I also belong to lawnsite and as for the BOP, i want something i can take to the dealer. I dont want to call an 800 number every time it breaks. As for the wright, i drove one just last week and hated every second i was on it. I am a bigger guy and it seemed as though i didnt have enough room for my feet/belly. I also drove the Deere and i am a big deere follower, and i loved it. So Deere it is.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I also belong to lawnsite and as for the BOP, i want something i can take to the dealer. I dont want to call an 800 number every time it breaks. As for the wright, i drove one just last week and hated every second i was on it. I am a bigger guy and it seemed as though i didn't have enough room for my feet/belly. I also drove the Deere and i am a big deere follower, and i loved it. So Deere it is.
Its good to hear a difference of opinion. First the BOB is a first rate product, their business model eliminates the need for the dealer. That can be both good and bad for some. Those that are handy and aren't afraid of fixing something out in the field, then this machine would be for you. The cost difference between a competitive model through a dealer is significant, so some view the savings as a huge plus (myself). I assure you there is nothing on that machine that cant be fixed easily, and parts are readily available. I would rather be up in 1 hours time in the field, than hauling my machine back to the shop or then to the dealer and then based on their schedule look at your problem (comes down to how much downtime can you swallow?). How much down time is important to you? again all the stuff is readily available, and the support is fantastic regardless to get you through the problem. Catastrophic failure aside (engine/tranny) every other part is locally available or should be on-hand for easy maintenance in my opinion.
Too date I haven't seem any competitors model come close to the price of the dual hydro walk-behind units they sell. Plus save the middleman cost and sales tax too...

Anyway its not for all folks, but for many its a great thing!

As for the Wright Stander and size constraints - they offer Sentar models and others if that works for you...The Wright Standers are real popular on that site for a reason, but I understand if comfort is an issue because of user size...no issues with that...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want one in the worste way but i dont know anyone that has one. I asked this question on a lawn forum and it never got answered. We do lawncare and these seem fast, also seem great for getting on and off of it. Looks very straight forward repair wise and also i think it would be comfy...??? Commets please.
Hello Amberslawncare. I'm new to this forum but not to the industry. I jumped from z's and walks with sulkies to JD' 652 standers. First of all the equipment is all the same. Kawi fx730's and kohlers, Hydro gear for the pumps. So that leaves us to the deck modifications. I'm a touch west of Philadelphia and we have morning dew and somewhat wet summers. I was getting fed up with my exmarks spitting balled up grass in the moist conditions. So I demoed the scag v ride, and the quiktrak 652R. Well both were PHENOMENAL in the wet grass, even early fall with wet leaves they spit grass and wet leaves with no problem. The decks have open baffles which allow air flow to throw grass rather then pass grass from one blade to the next then out the chute.
Secondly, they are extremely fast. I'm a solo guy and cut about 26 lawns a day with my quiktrak 36-52. Now solo with a hydro walk with a sulkie set up I was getting 22ish but was beat to death on it. There is absolutely no wear and tear on your body with the standers. (my yards are 8000-12000sq/ft) With another guy 35 lawns a day is achievable.
Lastly whats so awesome about these standers is that you don't have to put your z in neutral then brake and move the sticks. you can pull past the obstacle back up lean down and toss to the side or put it on operator platform until you can discard it.
I will admit when you're running hard in the hot summer in an enclosed trailer the lift block does not work because the latch expands so you can't get it back down when it's fully up in the locked (transport position) easy fix is to just not put it in the transport position.

Hope this persuades you to pick one up.:tango_face_wink:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts