My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want one in the worste way but i dont know anyone that has one. I asked this question on a lawn forum and it never got answered. We do lawncare and these seem fast, also seem great for getting on and off of it. Looks very straight forward repair wise and also i think it would be comfy...??? Commets please.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
If you are refering to a walk behind with a step-surrey.I myself have never owned one,but a good buddy has,and after riding my Exmark -O turn;he was sick of his.I would be concerned about backache also.If your young with a good back and knees maybe you can handle it.But if I did it for a living,I'd get a ZTR.Course,that's just me.:fing32:

·
close enuff works for me
2,959 Posts
A retired guy tried to mow at the local high school with a stand up mower with a sulky. He only lasted one week , that thing pounded his knee's and back so bad he could barely walk after a week on that mower. The school found a 20 year old who had no problem.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
A retired guy tried to mow at the local high school with a stand up mower with a sulky. He only lasted one week , that thing pounded his knee's and back so bad he could barely walk after a week on that mower. The school found a 20 year old who had no problem.
That is the way I would read it! Your back and knees have to take a pounding on uneven ground, Something has to absorb those changes and there is no suspension to do it!

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I drove a standup forklift for about 10 years. I am now paying the price for that. I think any machine that you stand on to operate will have a bad effect on your knees and back if it does not have a good suspension.
Dave

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I drove an electric stand up forklift for 3 years. Sometimes for hours at a stretch. There were days that my knees, feet and back would be hurting real bad. Especially the next morning. I know it's not the same as bouncing around on a yard but it still tore me up at times.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
It isnt the one with the sulky. I want a true stander. not a walk behind. I have a walk behind and love it, would nt trade it for anything
Well,you lost me---A walk behind with a standup sulky(just big enough for your feet)NOT a sit on,isn't that what we're talking about???If that's the case just buy the attachment as described.Not a ton of money,then you'll know first hand.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I drove an electric stand up forklift for 3 years. Sometimes for hours at a stretch. There were days that my knees, feet and back would be hurting real bad. Especially the next morning. I know it's not the same as bouncing around on a yard but it still tore me up at times.
They are pretty good IF you have good clean, smooth floors. Otherwise, uyou will take a beating. I had a couple of those when I was running a Metal Service Center.

·
9K+ Poster
12,151 Posts
It seems none of the guys here know what a "stander" is. The fact is that they are somewhat harder on your knees, but tolerable enough. And coupled with the space advantages on a trailer are, might just be something you should look into. :)

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Wright Standers

http://www.wrightmfg.com/

With the Stander®'s Operator Balance Control (OBC), you can mow hills almost as fast as level ground.
To ride hills, you have to feel them - become part of the landscape and react with your whole body. The innovative Stander® puts your center of gravity at your feet, not your seat. You use your weight to keep traction on the higher wheels and cross slopes at speeds no other mower can handle, so you mow faster with greater control and without switching to a walk-behind.

- Rugged and durable with deck sizes of 32", 36", 42", 48", 52", and 61"
- Driven from a standing position so you can shift your weight instantly to handle changing terrain
- Mows faster than a traditional walk-behind mower with less user fatigue
- The smaller sizeᅠallows you toᅠfit more mowers on a trailer
- With no seat, seat belts, or arm rests, you can easily step off for a quick exit or to move debris
- Outstanding control and handling for trim mowing

·
Registered
838 Posts
The best place I see to use them is if you have a lot of steep inclines that you would not want to put a rider on. The first time I seen one was at a Hospital the guy using it was on some pretty steep lanscaping. I thought then if I had to mow an area like that I would defenitely want one. Other than for cases like this I prefer to set. I like my butt cushion.

·
Registered
443 Posts
He's not talking about a walk behind with a sulky, guys. It's a mower you operate by standing on a foot platform insted of sitting on a seat. I think the first one was the "Wright Stander" and Deere had/has one as well. I've never been on one but I tend to think they might be fine on well graded and maintained lawns but rough on the knees otherwise.

·
Administrator
11,733 Posts
Boss mows with a Wright Stander at work. After an hour or two he complains is legs feel like they are vibrating even after he gets off and it does bother his back. This on rough ground not much better then mowing a field.

I know I could not hack it. I cannot stand for more then a few minutes with my feet planted like they require without my lower back starting to lock up. Heck, if I don't keep scooting around on the rider seat I can barely haul myself off of it after an hour. :rolleyes:

·
Plow Day Man!
409 Posts
hey i have a stander, john deere 667.

i have 750 hours on it, plus a mid mount with 650 hours....for shorter in and out jobs stander is great any day of the week. it makes my knees a little sore at first, but that goes away. my back feels great after using it, much better that if i use my sit down. i wouldn't wanna use the stander for a few hours strait.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Of course this is a totally biased reply, but the best Standers on the market are Wright Standers. They are the most sought after mower around in these parts - great handling on hills, take up less space on trailers, and offer a great cut....they are the origianls and have the the best weight distribution (over the wheels) because they have the patent. The units are beasts and make short work in large or small areas. Its comes with a heavy price tag however - $6 to $7k easy depending on model.

There are alternates to this type of mower for about half the price, and it made by the same mfg, in this picture...Better Outdoor Products and its called the dually. Its ZTR functionality (with a sulky) dual hydros, at a walk behind price...good stuff, trust me...

Duc

Attachments

·
Plow Day Man!
409 Posts
i'm hardcore john deere, and i love the wright standers, i really want one, but i have demoed the toro grandstand a couple times, and got to see it at the GIE expo and talk to engineers, and i already know what my next mower is. They set the bar super high with that mower, from the super smooth ride, to the flip up rider platform....

its one to beat, and yes you heard this from a man who bleeds green

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
It nice but the placement of your feet isnt directly over the wheels. makes a huge difference and one of the reasons great danes/Deere werent superior on inclines....It also takes up more room than the Wright Standers on a trailer... Toro makes nice stuff, but I can find less expensive and better with some of the brands I already mentioned. For the price of their top of the line belt drives walk behinds I can get a dual hydro ZTR walk behind and have money left over....its that cut and dry in my opinion....I typically will buy the best out there regardless of color, this is what I do....:fing32:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts