My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1952 8N and want to use it to plow snow this winter. My driveway is gravel, goes down, makes a turn and then goes up. Total is about 250ft. With the big lugs on the rear do you still need chains?

Harris

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i have seen guys with lugs slip in winter.. lugs will grip snow, chains grip ice. i would definitely invest in chains

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chains will help a lot so will ballast in the tires or wheel weights. Without weight or chains you won't get very far.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Chains help in ice,not really much in snow,that is with a 4wd tractor with loaded rears,yours is not 4wd,right?,so I would get rears loaded and buy chains.,also figure out how your rear brakes/left/right,,can help get traction and steer.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Wheel weights, Which I just put an ad in the want ad section, even though too far for you, will help in the snow. Before adding the weight I would just sit there and spin the tires. The weight of the front blade will make the back on the tractor a little lighter. Fluid in the tires is another option. Chains will also help on a gravel driveway but will leave marks or possibly tear up a paved drive. You could also add a heavy implement or concrete block off the 3pt will help.
Basiclly is you don't have added weight on an incline you ain't going anywhere. If you get chains I would suggest the big ring chain. The small link chains tender to fall inbetween the lugs making them unless.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
The guys have covered it, weight for snow chains for ice. Of course chains on snow ain't gonna hurt one bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts