My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 10515 with some idle issues. I cleaned the carb and noticed on disassembly that the governor spring was pulled out of shape. Thought I'd try reshaping, but it's like trying to put a slinky back in original shape after it's been sprung. Needless to say, the mower doesn't idle properly - revs really fast on start up - has little responsiveness to throttle cable position - idles erratically over rough ground. First thing I want to do is change that spring.

I have several governor/throttle springs from various mowers - have some from a DuraForce, from the plastic carbs off of V-series engines, plastic carbs from F-series, and ones from the metal Walbro carbs. I checked online and they all have different part numbers. Checked a couple of parts supply websites and they have different prices too. BUT, they look the same.

Anyone know whether these springs are interchangeable? Or will they cause other issues if put on the wrong carb. (Thought I'd check with the experts before beginning experimentation.)

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I honestly am having very similar probs. As for my problem....I have no low/high speeds. Only one.......at times it's difficult to restart after running for an hour.
I wonder if have a gasket that's leaking just enough.

I just put my spring back on.......I had a kink in it. So....we could be having disimilar issues, but caused from the same part, lol.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Some are made a little different, probably enough to make a difference. If I were you, they are cheap, go buy the one you need so you dont spend the time trying to figure it out. Its just not worth the hassle sometimes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too discovered a severely stretched/distorted spring that had the engine racing thru the roof! I had to order it, and it took 3 days, but it was worth the wait....and cost 94 cents. my problem is, installing it. I seee no hole for the hockey stick arm of the spring....I know the short inner arm goes in the square hole in the govenor thumb wheel...where does the other end attach/hook? Model #8431 Silver Wheeled Commercial

·
Registered
22 Posts
I solved my govenor spring issue. There is a sliding plastic bracket on the top of the air filter box....Part #612502, that the spring hooks to.....That bracket was broken, but not noticeable until I found an exploded view of the carb. I'm mowing again with my 1988 8431 Commercial!

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Nope. There are different springs/#'s. Some hooks are 180 degrees out from each other. You need to use the right spring for the application.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts