My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like four thin GM five bolt plain jane rims that I can fit baby moon hubcaps on.

I'm sure my salvage yard has hundreds of them but I really don't know what to ask for!
Do they all share the same bolt pattern no matter the year?

Thanks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
No. Most passenger car, s10, and Astro rims are 5x4-3/4. Some are 5x5 though. And the full size trucks and vans are 5x5. This is in most cases...

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. Most passenger car, s10, and Astro rims are 5x4-3/4. Some are 5x5 though. And the full size trucks and vans are 5x5. This is in most cases...
Thanks, so what does the dimension mean? 5 inches wide? by 5 ?

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
It means 5 lugs,4-3/4" bolt circle,or 5 lug 5" bolt circle...not the width of the rims,the number of lugs and the bolt pattern..rims of just about any width and diameter can have these bolt patterns ..

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Most" of the car rims are the same. Big car and trucks use a diferent pattern. What are they going on?
Thanks. They are for a VW beetle. I have GM five lug wheel adapters on it.

The rims on it now are too wide for the front and rub when I turn corners. They are Z28 camaro rims from some year??I don't know the year of these rims. Anybody??

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
Your VW wheel adapters have the 5 lug 4-3/4" bolt pattern ,if Camaro rims fit on them..(I'd guess a 83 Camaro is what yours are from,my friends sister had a Z-28 that year with identical rims she bought new!)..Older Impalas up to 1970 had the same bolt pattern as the Chevelles,Camaro,Malibu,and similar GM clones like Buick Skylarks,Specials,Pontiac Lemans & GTO,Olds Cutlass,and 442,--after 1970 the Impala's went to the 5" bolt circle pattern,,all the "big" GM's like Caddys,Pontiac Bonnevilles,Buick Electra's and 2wd trucks and vans after 1971 were also 5 lug 5" bolt circle..

I remember using "chrome reverse" Chevy rims,15",I found at a junkyard on my '63 Beetle,with L78-15" studded snow tires in the winter--I had to "customize" the fenders a bit ,but I went up hills in sand pits CJ Jeeps couldn't climb,and never got it stuck on unplowed roads!..

If I had used stock Chevy rims, I may not have had to modify the fenders..if you look at rims in junkyards,if they have them already off and stacked on a shelf you can measure the offset--old drum brake rims have less offset than disc brake rims do,the discs need more room to clear the calipers and will stick out more..also you can get 13" Corvair rims that had the bolt pattern like your rims,they worked well in the front on my VW..they were skinny and the offset was correct too..

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your VW wheel adapters have the 5 lug 4-3/4" bolt pattern ,if Camaro rims fit on them..(I'd guess a 83 Camaro is what yours are from,my friends sister had a Z-28 that year with identical rims she bought new!)..Older Impalas up to 1970 had the same bolt pattern as the Chevelles,Camaro,Malibu,and similar GM clones like Buick Skylarks,Specials,Pontiac Lemans & GTO,Olds Cutlass,and 442,--after 1970 the Impala's went to the 5" bolt circle pattern,,all the "big" GM's like Caddys,Pontiac Bonnevilles,Buick Electra's and 2wd trucks and vans after 1971 were also 5 lug 5" bolt circle..

I remember using "chrome reverse" Chevy rims,15",I found at a junkyard on my '63 Beetle,with L78-15" studded snow tires in the winter--I had to "customize" the fenders a bit ,but I went up hills in sand pits CJ Jeeps couldn't climb,and never got it stuck on unplowed roads!..

If I had used stock Chevy rims, I may not have had to modify the fenders..if you look at rims in junkyards,if they have them already off and stacked on a shelf you can measure the offset--old drum brake rims have less offset than disc brake rims do,the discs need more room to clear the calipers and will stick out more..also you can get 13" Corvair rims that had the bolt pattern like your rims,they worked well in the front on my VW..they were skinny and the offset was correct too..

Ohhh sweeet. Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Some of the front wheel drive cars have the correct bolt pattern and they will have more offset to the inside. I repaired a 1988 Buick Century in my body shop once, used 1986 Century parts. Both were 5 lug, but the pattern was different...

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The Buick Century, Olds Cutlass and Chevy Celebrity front wheel drive all have 4 1/2" bolt pattern like the old Fords and Dodges. The '71 to '76 Impala had 5 on 5.

Remember when checking hole spacing, measure from the outside of one hole, skip the next and measure to the center of the next whole. I don't know why they do this. I alway measured center to center of the holes. Found out I was wrong when on a rim manufacturer web site.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry to disagree with you, but the 86 Century wheel pattern was different from the 88. I had to change out the rear hub as the wheel would not bolt up...

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Sorry. You're right. Some of older ones had a 4 1/4" bolt pattern. These were normally on the four cylinder cars. I don't remember seeing the small bolt pattern on any of the V6's. BUT, I have a 1985 Cutlass four cyl. here that has the 4 1/2" bolt pattern.

Some of the stupid things automotive engineers have done I don't understand. I still think if I were to be talking to someone and they said they were an automotive engineer, it would be a reflex action when my fist hit their mouth. I think my blood pressure just went up twenty points thinking about some of the idiotic changes they have made.

·
Registered
173 Posts
1961-1963 pontiac Tempest and Lemans are 5 lug 4-1/2 BC. 65-70 Chevy fullsize are 4-3/4, 71-up are 5"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts