My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is thinking about parting ways with some of his tractors. He has three 656's. One is a High Clear utility, one is a Gold Demonstrator in original paint, and the last might just be the rarest of the 3. It's a Western Special, which is an interesting option package. Probably the very first IH row crop that said International on the white of the hood, while the rest still said Farmall (including a regular 656 row crop).

Does anyone know how many of these models were made? Are they sought after models?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My brother sure got lucky with 2 of the three tractors. He bought the gold one first. All origional except for one destroyed cylinder sleeve. He saw an add for a 656 with low hours on a rebuilt motor and they'd sell the motor separately. He went to look at it. It had been repainted a number of years ago. The motor ran like new, so he knew that was coming home with him. He went back and forth on the rest of the tractor. He ended up buying it and later realized it was the western special. The sticker had been painted over, but in the right light you can still read it. Of corse that explained why it looked so different from the gold one.

Then he went to an auction looking for a flat rack where he found the high clear utility. Origional paint still looks real good. When they started it, it didn't sound so good. The hydraulic filter was plugged. He got it for a good price. The tractor is as close to new as any I've worked with that haven't been repainted.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Yes. He has some very collectible 656's. all three are. The 656 I grew up with is still my favorite tractor. It is still used every day on my brothers farm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts