My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our April Featured Member of the Month article is bittersweet, as we bid farewell to a long-time staff member,

JDFanatic
2210snow_0108.jpg

JDFanatic/Geof has been our resident staff writer and reviewer here at MTF since 2011, and a member since the very beginning... While he's not leaving us, Geof is moving out of his staff position to spend more time traveling with his family... Who knows, maybe we'll get an international article or two from JDFanatic while he's freelancing around the globe! On to more about Geof!

Our tractoring began in 87’ when we purchased a CT property with some land that included a moderate to severe slope. Having come from a condo, first order was to purchase a tractor to take care of the acreage. With little knowledge of what was needed, we ordered a Sears Craftsman II, which turned out—no fault of the manufacturer—to be the absolute wrong machine for the application. Within two weeks the engine had died due to oil starvation (slope). Sears offered to fix the tractor, but the backlog at the time would have meant months of not being able to maintain the lawn. A testament to Sears was that they could pick up the tractor and refund the purchase price within a few days.

We then visited a small John Deere dealership who sold 100 and 200 series machines, and though they recommended the entry level 100 series tractor with pressurized lubrication, we went with a 185 hydro with 46” deck. That tractor turned out to be well matched for our property and saw many years of trouble-free duty.

We share a driveway a little over an 1/8 mile with one neighbor. For the first years, we hired out snow plowing. At that time, we didn’t think a tractor was a viable option over the long drive. When that neighbor relocated and a new one moved in, their first purchase was a John Deere 318 with attachments that included a plow. To our surprise, the combination handled the snow removal quite well. This caused us to rethink the possibilities of maintaining our property and soon the 185 was replaced by a 755.
JD755.jpg

With open eyes around the time of the Internet explosion, we turned to forums for more information about using our new machine and its attachments. Gardenweb and several other forums had sprung up and were good places to start. When one of those sites that a number of us frequented went down with no explanation and we learned of mytractorforum.com that had just gone live, we were early joinees. That was March of 2005 and JDFANATIC became something like member 41. What we learned from each other in those early years was priceless and the friends we made were too many to list. Before we knew it, there were something like 75,000 members and 1MM posts. That success though had a cost. Every other day it seemed, there were server issues, outages, and other site hiccups. Though controversial at the time, the site’s future needed bigger pockets, real IT folks, and fulltime professional management.

Having been a moderator for many years—admittedly less active then some of our mods who invest amazing amounts of time on the forum—an opportunity was presented by the new purchaser Vertical Scope to write reviews for their tractor.com and atv.com sites. I already freelanced from time to time, so agreed to write an article every-so-often. Every-so-often soon turned out to be weekly (chuckle). And so, from 2011 until 2018, 352 articles resulted. Each week a link would be posted here on mytractorforum.com, not to call attention to the writer, but to try to get the latest news to our members. Hopefully those articles helped members make decisions, and/or just get to know what was available. Now in our 60s and wanting to spend more time on family and travel, our time here has slowly dwindled to the point where it was necessary to step down from forum moderation. We do this with mixed emotions but are confident what will come out of it will be a renewed energy and commitment to continue the mission of being the friendliest tractor forum for the people and by the people. We won’t be strangers, just less frequent visitors. And those of you who we got to know personally, feel free to stop by and kick some tractor tires. ?

Geof

Attachments

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,802 Posts

·
21,731 Posts
A well deserved congrats, Geof! :congrats::congrats:

You have been a steady anchor for MTF as long as I've been here, and your efforts have been well appreciated.

You will be missed in the back room. :sad_02:

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
JDF/Geof, congrats on the well-deserved recognition for your many years of contribution to MTF. Over the years I’ve benefitted tremendously from your knowledgeable posts here on MTF as well as your thorough reviews/articles at tractor.com. Thanks very much for all that, and enjoy your well-earned time with the family. :trink39:

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Congrats and thanks for all the years of service and help along the way!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,980 Posts
Congratulations Geoff. May the next step in your journey be fruitful!

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,273 Posts
Thanks for all you've done at MTF, Geof. Lots of fun times, and fond memories, my friend. Don't be a stranger and here's hoping our paths meet in the future.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,719 Posts
Congrats on MoM, career adjustment, life changes, seeing and acting on your vision. Oh, yea and that sweet new JD in your pictures. Always appreciated your comments and participation. Might be the only one who hadn't connected your links to other forums to you being author. I'll probably go back and check more of them out.

Best regards for a rewarding journey!

·
Super Moderator
28,961 Posts
Geof, sad to see you go as a moderator, but for you excited to see you start this chapter in your lives! I have always enjoyed your posts and articles and hope to see you drop a line in the forum every once in a while. Beautiful property and a nice machine and attachments too!

·
9K+ Poster
12,153 Posts
Thanks guys! It has been special being part of this forum: imparting information when I had something to offer but more often learning from others; getting to know and meeting many of you personally; watching this place grow from nothing to where it is today; and spending so many delightful hours here broadening my own horizons. That all is priceless and why MTF is the best forum on the internet! :)

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,719 Posts
If anyone deserved to be Member of the Month for 5 months running - It would be Geof. Congrats, hope all is going well with your writing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts