1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Name:
TJ

Member number:
Number? We have a number? Can we pick our own? I’ll pick 1. I’ve always heard it’s a good thing to be number 1.

What city, and state, do you live in?
See Username.

Are you married?
Happily married to my best friend for 27 years and counting. I don’t deserve this woman – but don’t tell her I said that.

Do you have any children?
I have 2 amazing daughters that never fail to impress me. I am so proud of the young women they have grown to be.

Do you have any grandchildren?
I have a grandson who is the light of my life. He loves tractors and his favorite song is Seat Time Master by fellow member Roy Rector. It is hilarious to see him react to that song – he really gets into it. I just can’t get enough of that little guy. He’s just turned 3 and now he has a brother on the way so we are really looking forward to that.

What do you do to earn a living?
I’m a retired road worker. I did a little bit of everything from running heavy equipment, road grader, dump trucks, loaders, excavators etc. and also did a few years as a traffic signal tech and ended my career as a supervisor. Loved my job and was Blessed to have had that career. I sure don’t miss the politics that went with it though.

How old are you?
Born in 1964. I’ll let you do the math.

Military service?
No. That is one of the few regrets I have about my life. When I was 19, a friend and I had an appointment with our local recruiter and 2 days before our appointment, I got the call from my employer so I never did meet that recruiter. My friend enlisted and I went on to work my job for 30 years and have always wished I’d served. I have the utmost respect for those who have served and are currently serving our country. We owe them an unpayable debt for every right and privilege that we enjoy – especially the ones we just take for granted.

How did you come to join MTF?
I was looking to buy a garden tractor, did a Google search and almost all of the top ten or so results were from MTF. It didn’t take much reading to figure out that this forum is the place to be. I’ve tried a handful of other tractor forums but this is the one that stood out from the crowd.

What are your favorite MTF forums and why?
If I had to choose, it’d have to be the John Deere Forum since that’s what I have. But I also frequent a few of the others – there is such a diversity of interests here at MTF and I believe that it’s the common interests and “like-mindedness” of the members that is by far MTF’s biggest strength.

What do you like most about MTF?
Without question, it’s the members. This is such a great group of people who, again, have so many common interests. And as a whole, this group’s willingness to help other members and to share information, knowledge and experience, all the while in a friendly and courteous manner, is what drew me to this forum as well as what keeps me coming back. How could you not love this Forum?

Please list your tractors and/or equipment:
Oh geez, here we go. Don’t judge me – lol.

I have both a 420 and a 430, both with 3pt hitches, and 4 variations of 140. It’s like I keep picking up 140s in hopes of either finding the one I want (a 1973 or 1974 140H3) or being able to mix and match parts to “make” the one I want.
I finally found an H3 but it’s older with the older style rear end. I have a couple H1’s with the newer style rear end but one has a blown motor and the other is an H0.5. It has 1 hyd lever but zero ports out front – very frustrating. The goal is to either find the right 140 H3 or combine parts so I end up with a full-on 140 H3 with the newer style rear end and – eventually with power steering .
I plan to eventually whittle the 140s down to a single tractor so my grandson and I can completely redo it so he can have a really nice tractor for himself one day. I’ll also eventually get rid of the 420 once the 430 has been gone through so I can “thin my herd” down to just the 430 for plowing (soil), tilling and snow removal and the 140 H3 will be for mowing and a snow removal backup machine.

TJ 3.jpg TJ 4.jpg

What is your favorite tractor or piece of equipment and why?
Another tough one. I love the 420 because it was my first real tractor (several riding mowers over the years but nothing like this) and because it is such a beast! But the 430 is really something else. I absolutely love the sound and pull of that Yanmar diesel!
The 140, to me, is probably the best “looking” tractor in the John Deere line-up and I can’t explain why. I just REALLY like the looks of it. And with the H3 setup, it is so versatile and useful. I just love it. My only “issue” with it is the lack of power steering. Once that is added, I can’t think of a single complaint I’ll have for the 140.

TJ 1.JPG

Is there a tractor or piece of equipment you'd love to own someday?
My “want” list includes but is not limited to:
A 44 loader
Brantley backhoe for my 430, (maybe I just need to get a 1025r? heh heh)
Haban sickle mower
A front mounted flail mower
51” broom
A hydraulic dump MCS or at the very least a power flow for my 50” or 60” deck.
I could go on but why torture myself?

Tell us some of the tasks you use your tractors and/or equipment for?
I plow and till my garden and anybody else’s garden who needs it and asks ( or lets me). I mow my tiny lawn and the lot behind mine. Since I added the Buford Bucket I use it for countless jobs around the yard and for others. My favorite use for my tractors is snow removal. I do my driveway as well as a few others on my small street and, when the snow is deep enough, I do the whole street.

Could you describe your property for us?
Not much to describe. It’s a pitifully small lot – maybe a third acre. With the lot behind me, it’s one acre total. It’s embarrassing that I have such a small lot and 6 JD tractors. Again, don’t judge me. The addiction is real my friends – lol. But like I said, eventually I plan to thin it down to a single 140H3 and the 430. Honest.

TJ 5.JPG

Is there something you'd love to build or restore someday?
I want to restore both my 140(s) and the 430. As for building, I like to tinker and fabricate. Well, “fabricate” is a relative term. After seeing some of the fab masters here on MTF (Grandpajay for example) I better stick to “tinker” as a description of what I do – lol. But eventually, I’d like to build a cab for the 140. I know I can find one and fix it up, like I’m doing for the 430, but I think I’d enjoy building one, despite the cost and work required.

TJ 2.jpg TJ 7.JPG

Most memorable tractor moment?
Not sure if I’ve actually had any “tractor moments” per se – lol – but if I had to choose, it would be a couple years ago when we had a bad snow and I cleared the road and several of my neighbors driveways. It was the better part of a week before the county plows got to our street and by then there was no need. 4 or 5 neighbors stopped by and brought cards and gifts to show their appreciation. Even my neighbor, who rolls his eyes when he sees me tinkering on 6 tractors in my back yard – haha – even he was impressed when I was doing his driveway. He came out and was asking about the hydraulic lift and chute rotation on the snow thrower, and how powerful the tractor was. He said he never knew it was such a beast. It was like a moment of redemption for my addiction – lol. It was almost as if he was saying “ohhh I get it now”.

Earliest tractor memories?
My only “tractor memory” before buying my 420 is of my best and oldest friend, Shayf, who’s family always bought Deere and my family, because of income, always had cheap generic “riding mowers”. Shayfs family always had multiple tractors- one set up for mowing, one for tilling, one for snow removal, blah blah blah. You know the drill. I always rolled my eyes and said how Deere is overpriced and over-rated and “I’m not into that elitist stuff”. All the while I’m saying these things, I’m fixing, repairing and replacing these cheap generic riders over the years. So after all that, shortly after I retire, I finally do some research, select the tractor I want - a 420 with a 48 tiller - and then drive all the way to just outside of Green Bay Wi to buy it.
My best “tractor memory” would be the first time that my buddy Shayf stopped over and I showed him my new-to-me 420. Since his family had always owned 200 series tractors, he was impressed to say the least! Of course there were some “I told you so”s but it was a good time. Sadly, not long after that, while I was trying out the 48 tiller in my garden, my wife came out to me to tell me my lifelong friend Shayf had passed away. It’s difficult now to run that tiller without thinking of my buddy Shayf. But it’s a good kind of difficult if ya know what I mean.

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with us?
Too much to list!! I tend to have too many irons in the fire and not enough motivation or time to pursue them all – lol. I’m an avid gardener and I really enjoy sharing our harvest with others who don’t or can’t garden. I need to plant more so I can share more. I also enjoying canning and preserving our harvest every year. It’s become a family activity that I cherish. I love the idea of passing such a valuable life skill to my kids.
I love to fish and hunt but don’t do either of them often enough. I like wood working but again, don’t do it often enough. If I had to choose, I’d say my favorite hobby or interest these days is spending time with my grandson.

TJ 6.JPG

What do the other people in your life think of your "tractor" hobby?
They just smile and stare and nod their head, acting like they get it but it’s obvious to me that they don’t.

I just want to say that I’m humbled to even be considered for MOTM. The members of this forum are a great group of people and I’m proud to count myself among them. Without trying to sound too corny, I think this forum really has a sense of community – dang near family. I’ll be away from my office for a while and when I log back on I actually really look forward to checking the forums and my favorite threads to see what’s happened and how other members are doing. It’s unlike anything I’ve experienced in all my years online. For you “kids” in the crowd, I was surfing back when message boards (forums) is ALL the internet was. I still remember seeing my first animated GIF file – and today we can stream full length, HD quality movies. So trust me when I say I’ve been around the web. And this forum, this group, is a rare gem indeed. So thank you all for allowing me to be a part of this.

april_fmom.png

·
Administrator
17,822 Posts
TJ,
Congrats on the selection. :00000033: You have always been helpful to others and the fondness that you show for this affliction (oops, I mean hobby) is apparent.
Once again, congratulations.

·
Super Moderator
16,923 Posts
Thanks for you ernest and frank admiration of our 'hobby/lifestyle'...

I'm impressed by your bio! You deserve your retirement, my friend.
.Again--glad to have you on-board here at MTF!

glenn

·
Super Moderator
22,970 Posts
What a great read!! :fing32:

A well earned award for a deserving member!! Congratulations, TJ! :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,757 Posts
Congratulations!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
CONGRATS!!! :congrats::fing02::fing02::fing02:

·
Super Moderator
12,936 Posts
Congratulations, TJ! I enjoyed getting to know you. It's great that you are practicing what is becoming the lost art of canning, and passing it on. My mother used to tell me of her helping out with canning, churning butter, etc., when she was growing up on the farm. It was all done out of necessity back then. I remember churning butter (I've since inherited the churn), and making root beer with her when I was young.

I also had to laugh when I read your reply to the "What do your family and friends think..." question. I get the same thing.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,740 Posts
Congratulations TJ! We are glad you enjoy the forum. It is members like you that make MTF what it is. :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Congratulations TJ! Revel in your month of fame.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Congrats!!!!!!

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,820 Posts
I echo what MikMan said. Can't add much to it!

Congrats! :tango_face_smile:

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,189 Posts
Congratulations See Username. Well deserved. Always liked what you have to say.

So you think you can quit anytime huh? With no outside intervention?
Let's just see how many you have next year, same bat time, same bat station. :tango_face_devil:

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Congratulations TJ. A very enjoyable read. You expressed many of the same reasons I hang around here. A kindred spirit for sure.

I especially liked your conclusion ". . . . It was almost as if he was saying “ohhh I get it now". I've been there, and I'd bet a significant number of your readers here have been as well.

Also your delight in your time with the grandson. My world is my grandaughters ages 5 and 1 - nothing better to life than time with them.

This is an honor well deserved.

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
TJ, I honestly cant think of a more deserving member! Way to go, and enjoy your time in the spotlight! But remember, there is no thinning of the herd. If it happens, its short lived. Thats why its a chronic condition, it gets worse over time.

·
322 jd. with loader
386 Posts
congrats to you on FMOM, from another flint mi. resident or used to be 1, i went to southwestern now live just outside flint soon to be carmen hills i believe that's what their thinking of calling us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts