Premium Member
31,654 Posts
Name:

Lowell

Joined in December of 2006.

Member number:

Member #4515

What city, and state, do you live in?

I live in north central Missouri, about 20 miles from where I grew up.

Are you married?

Married to my wife Connie for 30+ years.

Do you have any children?

Two "kids" that run around on all fours, with spots all over them! Chief is 11, Dottie will be four this spring!

LW1.jpg

What do you do to earn a living?

I spent 29 years as a paid member of the local Fire Department, now retired ten years. Hit SS last fall!

How did you come to join MTF?

I found MTF while searching for lawn & garden tractor information.

What are your favorite forums and why?

I stick mostly to tractor & woodworking & garden forums as that's where my interests lie! My main interest is John Deere as that's what I grew up with in the 1950's & 60's. Though I have reduced my collection over the last couple of years, I take my tractors to area shows & parades though the summer.

What do you like most about MTF?

MTF gives me an outlet to show my projects & see what others are doing along with help with problems both ways!

Please list your tractors and/or equipment:

I currently own a 1970 JD 70 I, a modification I made to an old JD 70 lawn tractor that I use for towing lawn tools & shows, 1980 JD 314 that is my snowblower tractor, belly blade & leaf pick up with the Craftsman leaf vac I found on CL last fall. My lawn mower is a JD F725 I bought used about a year ago. My main worker is a 2004 JD 790 w/300 loader for lifting, dirt work & mowing with a 5' Woods finish mower & old JD brush cutter at the farm. I have a wide variety of attachments for all of them.

LW2.jpg LW5.jpg

LW6.jpg LW7.jpg

What's your favourite tractor?

As for my favorite tractor & the "love to own someday" are one & the same, my 1953 JD 40 Standard. I found it in the fall of 2014 on Kansas City CL, drooled over it for about a month before deciding to buy it. I've since restored it, set up a Ford 5' front blade on it to push snow off the drive. I also have a JD model 20 3-pt dirt scoop that Dad bought slightly used in 1963. An old JD 80 3-pt blade & a Continental brand post hole digger for it. And built a 1-14" 3-pt plow from parts I had on hand.

LW8.jpg LW9.jpg

Could you describe your property for us?

We've owned our current home for 30 years, 1-1/2 acres in the edge of a town of about 6,000. Room for various gardening projects & for the dogs to run, about an hour of mowing with the F725.
We also have a 140 acre brush farm 30 miles from home that my folks bought 50 years ago. Two ponds for fishing, plenty of wildlife, including whitetail deer & turkeys! We host a "garden tractor trail ride" there each September, not a "big" event, but a family friendly gathering for people with small tractor interests! A carry-in meal at noon & about an hour's drive around the farm afterwards. The farm gives me a good place to get away from it all!

LW10.jpg

Is there something you'd love to build or restore someday?

I've done quite a bit of building my own attachments over the years, some by necessity & some just to see if I could, but don't do as much anymore. I've been busy this winter as my woodworking shop burned in January, the replacement was up the first week of March. I'm finishing the inside myself, will take a while, but I'm getting there & insurance was good to me!

LW11.jpg

Most memorable tractor moment?

As stated earlier, I grew up on John Deere equipment during the 1950's & 60's, all JD. Mainly a 1953-60 & a 1958-720D (electric start). When my parents bought the farm we have now, Dad bought a used "MT" to use as a "saddle horse", towed the 10 miles from home to that farm behind the pickup. I hauled a lot of hay home with that old MT & always wanted an "M" or one-row 40 & got it 1-1/2 years ago!

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with us?

I spend my retirement taking care of our home property, "playing" at the farm, gardening & some woodworking. Still do some fishing though only at our farm ponds anymore!

What do the other people in your life think of your "tractor" hobby?

I seem to be fairly well known within a 50 mile or so radius for my tractor collection & the shows & parades I attend. Though I have cut back in recent years.

LW3.jpg LW4.jpg

apr16_fmom.png

·
Super Moderator
13,262 Posts
Congratulations Lowell! I think when I joined MTF you had just finished building your 317 Special and it was one of the machines that got me that much more interested in GT. Honor well deserved!

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,500 Posts
Congratulations Lowell! Always look forward to seeing your posts, you're a true "tractor guy" :thThumbsU

·
16,391 Posts
A big BRAVO for Lowell(grnspot110)...:howdy::howdy:

I think from reading a lo of your posts that you can and will accomplish anything you set your mind to----and some very nice/slick equipment.

Love the old history of your farm and the tractors--
Thank You for being on MTF!

glenn

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the honor!

·
We're all friends here
14,349 Posts
Congratulations Lowell! Nice collection of Deeres. I especially like the carts with the toy tractors. In a small town, with a collection like that you can't help but get noticed. :thThumbsU

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,775 Posts
Congratulations - You embody the little slice of Americana more folks should strive for.
Thanks for sharing with us here on MTF.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Congratulations Lowell and thank you for the bio. The pups are beautiful and your tractors are wonderful.

Thank you for hanging around with us and being a part of all of this. I sure enjoyed the read. :fing32:

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
Congratulations grnspot110:.. an honor u deserve.. I also want to thank u again for letting me buy your JD 100 this past summer.. she joined 4 other 100's that I have..

·
Administrator
17,137 Posts
Congratulations Lowell. Nice read and love the collection.
MikeC

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Congratulations, Lowell! I enjoyed reading your bio, and looking through your pics. You have a very nice tractor collection.

Now if you can convince your wife that you need "something" red for your "kids" to ride on...:fing32:

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
Congratulations Lowell. Always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your collection. Good luck with the wood shop rebuild.

·
9K+ Poster
12,154 Posts
Congrats Lowell! Always enjoy reading your posts and pics of your stable (correct color). :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Congrates!!!

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
962 Posts
Congratulations, Lowell! You are an inspiration to us! Jay

1 - 20 of 37 Posts