My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how to say this without giving the appearance of brand bashing, but I just wasted most of a perfectly good Sunday trying to get the battery replaced in my Ipod Classic.

Closest Apple store is 60 miles in either direction, so last night I called the Apple store and made sure they have their service dept open on Sunday. Sure, come on down I was told.

So I head out and get there 30 minutes after they were open. What? You don't have an appointment? We're booked solid today, maybe we can work you in around 4:30, or you can leave it and come back. No, I just need the battery replaced, can I buy one. Oh, sir, that is an extremely complicated procedure - there is no way a person such as yourself (just a guy with 20 years as an electronics technician in the military) could ever be able to replace an Ipod battery as well as a minimum wage 16 year old.

I did notice the sheeple in the Apple store being so deferential to the teenage staff. Waiting so patiently to be graced by their attention. What did I miss somewhere? An Ipod is ok, nothing fantastic though.

So, I head home, never to give Apple another nickel of my money (Bear in mind I'm a guy who hasn't eaten at Burger King in 27 years because they couldn't seem to make a cheeseburger without ketchup).

I bought a battery change kit from Ifixit.com for $18 with shipping. If it works, great, if not, I yank the hard drive and slap it in a $3.00 case as a backup for my laptop.

I'm not trying to bash anyone who likes Apples, but if your customer service experience is similar to mine, I surely don't understand what could be great enough to make you put up with it.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
I don't think your brand bashing as much as your shooting your own foot....You had a bad localized customer service issue from a incomptent customer service rep combined with a teenager who like we all were at one time, knew more than you possible could ever know being old and all. My experience with Apple is limited to this weeks call in after my daughter bought a mac pro laptop for university two weeks ago...she did not opt to purchase the Ipod touch at the time not knowing that both the mac pro and the ipod touch had to be on the same receipt in order to get the rebate that refunds the purchase price of the Ipod....well I thought she should have been told this at time of purchase so I asked my daughter of of course she had been asked by the rep from the apple store...but she did not think she should put up the extra money for it...anyway we called and spoke to the rep from the apple store and she (the rep) has arranged for the Ipod touch to show as being purchased at the same time and my daughter gets the rebate...so this rep went beyond and yours did not meet the grade...I would report them to management and likely a free gift or a gift card could be your reward for informing them of worker incompetance...:trink40:

I don't know how to say this without giving the appearance of brand bashing, but I just wasted most of a perfectly good Sunday trying to get the battery replaced in my Ipod Classic.

Closest Apple store is 60 miles in either direction, so last night I called the Apple store and made sure they have their service dept open on Sunday. Sure, come on down I was told.

So I head out and get there 30 minutes after they were open. What? You don't have an appointment? We're booked solid today, maybe we can work you in around 4:30, or you can leave it and come back. No, I just need the battery replaced, can I buy one. Oh, sir, that is an extremely complicated procedure - there is no way a person such as yourself (just a guy with 20 years as an electronics technician in the military) could ever be able to replace an Ipod battery as well as a minimum wage 16 year old.

I did notice the sheeple in the Apple store being so deferential to the teenage staff. Waiting so patiently to be graced by their attention. What did I miss somewhere? An Ipod is ok, nothing fantastic though.

So, I head home, never to give Apple another nickel of my money (Bear in mind I'm a guy who hasn't eaten at Burger King in 27 years because they couldn't seem to make a cheeseburger without ketchup).

I bought a battery change kit from Ifixit.com for $18 with shipping. If it works, great, if not, I yank the hard drive and slap it in a $3.00 case as a backup for my laptop.

I'm not trying to bash anyone who likes Apples, but if your customer service experience is similar to mine, I surely don't understand what could be great enough to make you put up with it.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
We bought a new 27" iMac using my sons college ID so we could get the discount and
the free iPod Touch. Amazingly we got the rebate check in 3 weeks, sure beats the
60-90 days like so many other rebates.

My iPod Touch could use a new battery but if and when it gets one I'll be sending it to
one of the service places that replaces batteries, screens and stuff not Apple they
charge way more than they should for battery replacement.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In deciding to buy a battery kit, I found via various forums, that Apple intentionally trys to make their cases difficult to open for the sole purpose of keeping non-authorized Apple repair centers from making repairs. I may well trash the case trying to do my own repair, but at less than $20, what the heck.

I've used a Macbook, and to tell you the truth, didn't see any advantage over my Windows 7 Toshiba laptop. The thing I liked about the Ipod was that I could use it as a good sized USB drive for a backup as well as it being able to hold my whole media collection. I don't really care for iTunes at all.

The environment and apparent culture I saw in the Apple store just turned my stomach. High school and college kids walking around arrogantly as paying customers quietly waited to be noticed by them and have their turn to be treated with disdain.

I do plan to email Apple with my comments and observations, but the only thing they could do to slightly change my opinion would be to pay for my gas and replace the battery for free.

Worst case, I wind up with a 160 GB USB drive, and I'll buy a 32GB SD card for my Droid.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Well, if you do wind up with a 160 GB drive, you won't have to rub elbows with "the sheeple" anymore.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Thanks for pointing the word "sheeple" out of D-Dogg post...I decided to look up the word being the uneducated person that I am. I didn't know their was one word that perfectly discribes how many people get hurt on job sites. D-Dogg "The environment and apparent culture I saw in the Apple store just turned my stomach. High school and college kids walking around arrogantly as paying customers quietly waited to be noticed by them and have their turn to be treated with disdain." D-Dogg your apple store experience seems to be a common one, see link http://open.salon.com/blog/rahul_k_parikh/2010/06/30/bedside_manner_at_the_apple_store_genius_bar

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well give me a blue t-shirt and a 19 year old girlfriend with a nose-ring. I'm a Apple Certified Genious now!

It don't get much easier than this. $20 and the new battery is in. Something about an old ignorant fart you just have to love.

I won't post how I got the case open as I used some very dangerous tools (for some). No bends or scratches, and it all works.

Yeehaw, y'all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts