My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a Lawn General... MTD model number is 13A6695H147. On flat land, it goes forward and reverse fine, although it does whine a little. The problem is when going up almost any type of slope it does not want to go... almost like the tranny is slipping.

I saw blackwolf's post about the brake link being stuck and have looked at mine but don't have that problem. I've also tried to look at the drive belt when having the no-go problem but can't see that it's slipping. Could it be slipping slightly that I wouldn't notice... and enough to not go uphill?

Otherwise - anyway to drain/fill these? I don't see a plug or filter for service anywhere.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I had a MTD Yardman lawn tractor that had the same symptoms as yours. It was one of those non-serviceable hydros. On the bottom of the tranny was a spot that looked like a drain plug should be. I drill out that hole and drained the fluid. Then I tapped the hole for a plug. I replaced the fluid with 20w-50 synthetic engine oil, through the vent hose. The tractor pulled as good as new.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Glenn... that's exactly what I need to do. Do you remember more exactly where the spot was... like center, left right, etc.? I took a look but didn't see a spot like you described... And do you remember how much oil you put back in?

J

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
JW

Your trans might be different than the one I did, but mine had a circular boss cast in the bottom middle. I just drilled out the center and tapped the boss. I'd take a picture and show you, but I don't have the tractor anymore.
I don't remember how much oil, I think I just measured how much came out and add a touch more when I filled it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Awesome finally someone having the same problem as me. Yes the brake was stuck that last time when I thought I blew the tranny but it was acting up before that and still is. Going down hill and on the flat it goes fine but once I get to a grade in either forward or reverseit acts like it is slipping. Glenn, I almost thought about doing that but didn't know if it was going to work. I'm going to try that this weekend and see what happens. Thanks Glenn. jwcva I believe the manual says 2.5 quarts of 20w50. I guess I just asked the wrong question in my post. jwcva if you look under the tractor on the flat part at the bottom part of the trans there is a small dimple, probably 3/8-1/2" diameter. It looks like there should be a plug there. I'll see what I can do about a picture for you because mine is a 1996 as well

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had a similar problem with a mid to late 90's craftsman I got for a $100, this hydro had a breather on top so I gently forced it off and added fluid. It's now starting its 4th year of service for me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ok great. Saturday is already gone, funeral and sunday I have some other projects that need tending to plus it's mother's day. I may get a chance to atleast start on it. What did you use to plug the hole a pipe plug or a bolt with a rubber washer?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I had an old drain plug out of a ?, that I had in my whatever nut, bolt and washer drawer. Auto parts stores have a self tapping drain plug bolts. All you would have to do is drill out the inside the proper size. A pipe plug would work also.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Drilled out that spot today and drained the oil. Boy was it black. Gave it a quick flush and blew some air through it from the vent. Dumped some fresh oil in. Went with what the manual said and it over flowed at 2.5 qts. Instead of taping the hole and using a plug I found a universal one at Autozone. It's an expansion type plug. Seems to work pretty good. Didn't get a chance to take it for a test spin. That will happen tomorrow after I get a new battery. If you haven't done this yet JWVCA I will let you know if it worked and the motormite part number for the plug. The plug instructions say it's not to be reused and it was only $3.49.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It might take more oil, after you purge the trans. To purge the air out of trans.. Set it in freewheel and move your travel lever back and forth between forward and reverse 3-5 times or so. It might make a few noises while getting the air out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope it "drives like new" blackwolf! Will watch for your follow-up as I haven't tackled this yet... other projects have kept me busy so far... you know how it is - lol

J

·
Registered
380 Posts
I put in the new battery and took the carb off and gave it a good cleaning. Fired right up. I did as Glenn said and purged the system. It made a couple slight grumbling noises but that's about it. Took it for a spin and I would say it is 90% better. I will never gain that extra 10% it is after all 13 years old. The part number for the plug I used is Dorman 65200. I found it at autozone in the oil filter section. Thanks for the help Glenn and hope this works for you too jwcva.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Blackwolf; Did you use Dino or Synthetic oil?

·
Registered
380 Posts
nope straight up 20w50 like the manual says. I used cheap stuff just to see if it was going to work. I didn't want to put a lot of money into something that was a lost cause. Should I switch it out and throw in synthetic?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You might just get that other 10% with synthetic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts