My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Not being stupid here, but just uneducated on paint. I used to mix the automotive stuff in a parts store, but never got to learn how to spray different materials, hardeners, thinners etc... I only made the custom mixes.

I did a little cosmetic rattle can touch up on my Wheelhorse's this past summer. I followed the standard protocol (at least I THINK I did) by cleaning, sanding and priming and ran into a problem about a month ago.

Since this is my snow plowing machine this year, I didnt run it much until recently to tune it up and keep the battery charged. After running it for a while, I noticed the paint started to peel up and curl in the area by the muffler. Its a rather large area also. I know it was running a little lean recently, but I have rebult and retuned the carb and I didnt think that would create enough heat to blister and peel that large of an area of the paint especially with an intact OEM muffler.

My other C-101 doesnt have that problem and I did the same to it this past summer. I plan on doing a complete strip, sand and paint in the near future but cant help but wonder if it was because of excess heat or another possible problem. I dont wat to do a total redo and have the paint feel off after firing it up and running it for the first time.

I know there are lots of variables, but any common ones besides "not being clean enough" would be appreciated because I know for a fact the area was not contaminated. Or did I just answer my own question, lol!!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The excessive heat will DEFINITELY do it..........I have a JD 400 that was running lean when I got it and the muffler got hot enough to bubble up the stripes on the side one afternoon when i had the side panels off (the side panels partially shield that area)

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
An easy fix would be to add a heat shield in the area where your having the issue. Properly applied or not, no paint likes excess heat. When they run a little lean the exhaust gets super hot so you may want to richen it up a bit as well to help with the exhaust temp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts