My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this dilemma...

My Father and I lived together, and four or so years ago he brought home this Suphur Crested Umbrella Cockatoo. We went back and forth on this as I am not a "bird person" and I have no idea why he wanted a Cockatoo. So fast forward to now... My dad passed away on April 24th and here I am a non bird person, with a Cockatoo that will live, at least 80 years...

I can not care for her like she should be cared for, and she needs a good home.. I just don't know what to do... I can't find anything good on the net about what to do with a 'Too in this type of situation. I am not "donating" the bird to a shelter, that's NOT going to happen. This bird has always been well taken care of, she still is being well fed, well cared for. She has never plucked a feather in her life.

Is anyone here a "Bird Person" who may be able to give Peaches a good home?

I will upload photos and post them here. I beleive she is a she, we never had her DNA sexed, but as I understand, if they have blue around the eyes they are probably a female.

Any info would be appreciated and I hope I am not going against the rules posting this, if so, please delete it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My wife is a bird person and a few year back she lost her beloved African gray that she (or her parents) had since she was a very little girl. She has been wanting a new bird. She is not sure if she wants another gray because she said it will remind her of her old one and It will not be the same.

What are you asking and do you have some pictures?

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arby,

I have pictures on my other PC in the living room, I need to power it up and upload them to my photo bucket, or I could just go snap some with my camera and upload them from this PC, I think I will just do that tomorrow.

You need to do lots of research before you buy a bird. Cockatoo's are not like African Grey's, they are very vocal (not talking wise) they love to scream and are LOUD... They are pigs (all birds are) and they are chewers, they love to chew moldings, doors, electrical wires..... Just making all of this clear because this is a life long thing, and this was my Dad's "Baby" and I need to make sure she gets a very good home.

Peaches was hand reared, certified, has had all her avian shots and has been well cared for. She cost $2000.00 when dad bought her at 1 year of age. I would be asking half that amount $1000.00 and would be including a $350.00 cage and lots of toys, a book on living with 'too's and her paper work.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Years ago, I worked for a friend of the family at his local pet shop for several years. He was a zoologist and his store was more so a local zoo then just a pet shop. We would take some of his animals around to different schools and teach kids about how to care for and treat different animals. Towards the end of high school I decided, and with his encouragement that I was going to study the world of animals. My wife (just a friend at that time) also worked for him for a few years. She was interested in becoming a vet and he help get her in as an assistant in the vet’s office and started her on her way.
In the store, my wife specialized in the bird & reptile section before going to the vets. While I specialized in the small animals (rats, hamsters, garbles, ferrets…), fish & the cats & dogs sections. Cats & dogs were not sold in the shop, so mainly this was answering question, and giving suggestions and training tips to the customers. There was however some exotics that needed training and to be taking care of. Like the bob cats & a servile and there was a wolf that I trained and work with.

Now like I said the wife does know birds, especially hookbills.

I am sorry but the wife informed me that no she wants either another gray or an Amazon. There is still another chance however, a friend of ours is looking for a Cockatoo. She is a Herpetologists, but is also very knowledgeable about all pets.

You said that it is a Sulphur Crested Umbrella Cockatoo. Not to sound rude but what one is it? Sulphur Crested & Umbrella are two different kinds of Cockatoo’s

·
No Longer With Us
126 Posts
WOW, I wish you were closer ... I have 3 Sulphurs, 2 Moluccans and a smaller yellow crested that's just 6 months old that we just got this past weekend ... along with a bonded pair of Military Macaws and a 33 year old yellow/gold Macaw - and my 'baby', a beautiful 2 year old Hyacinth Macaw that I've raised from the bottle when her owners lost their jobs and couldn't afford to care for her

in addition to rabbits, I've taken an interest in fostering these extremely lovable, large birds ... we've adopted every one we have from families in situations similar to yours, and although we haven't paid for any of them, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't ask for, and accept a fair rehoming fee from the new family (I never use 'own' or 'owner' for any companion animals ... it just doesn't seem right ... same with the word 'pet' ... I really dislike that word for the most part)

one thing you're going to need to know though, she's either an Umbrella OR a Sulphur Crested cockatoo ... they are two similar, but definitely different species ... both are fairly common in the pet trade here in the US, and both are excellent companion animals ... you can find out which she is by doing a little googling or just put up a photo and I'll do my best to help out with that part

note that regardless of which she turns out to be, it changes nothing - not the price, not the lifespan and certainly not the suitability of her making someone a wonderful, amazing and life-changing companion ... but one thing's for sure - her new family will want to know what she is from the start

if it helps, the Umbrella's have a yellow/peach color on the inside of their wings and some may have a little under their tail ... they generally have NO coloring in their crest feathers besides white

on the other hand, the Sulphur-Crested cockatoo got their name for a reason, with the cool little yellow 50's greaser looking curl coming out of the back of their crest, or more rarely, hidden inside of the crest feathers - also, the Sulphur Crested's are going to be a little smaller than the Umbrellas

if she's 'flipped you the royal bird' with her crest, maybe you've seen if it's yellow or just pale white already and this should answer any questions about which species she is ... if not, they are usually really nice about letting people mess with their do to check for these things

remember, these birds (either species) can be $2000 if bought from a reputable dealer as a young, healthy bird ... at $1000 you're slightly on the high end given her age and the situation, unless there's something unique about her ($800-$900 would be average from my experience) BUT, throwing in her cage with the deal (which is very important for her well being that she is allowed to keep) definitely makes this a good deal for your asking price in my opinion, borderline VERY good deal even - cages can cost a fortune, and having the one that the bird is already acclimated and used to makes the transition into a new home twice as easy! ... a good friend of mine has $4000 into the cage for his ONE Cockatoo - I'm not even going to try to figure out what we have into the aviary that's inside our house - we built it a little at a time and have added to it since we started building it in February, and lucky I haven't kept track ... I honestly don't ever want to know ... so including the cage with her is a good, good plan on your end and a lucky find for her new family

I'm happy to hear you aren't sending her to a shelter ... not many of them survive the massive stress of being abandoned under those conditions, and believe me, they KNOW the difference between a shelter and someone's actual home

the Cockatoos are by far the sweetest, most gentle and personable of all of the large birds - we have one that has it's own perch in the shower and loves to stand in there whenever we shower and just rocks back and forth singing and getting wet once in a while ... they can be bizarre in some ways, but as a companion bird, you can not do any better than a Cockatoo when it comes to being lovable, loyal, pettable and just downright nice to be around

the Macaws are stunning to look at, and are slightly larger than the Too's, especially the Hyacinth, which is a GIANT ... but they are often arrogant and 'high strung' - and they definitely aren't as personable and cuddly as a cockatoo is

of course it doesn't matter which one can bite harder, because either could 100% sever a finger or thumb without even straining a mouth muscle as easy as you or I could snap a toothpick with a visegrip ... so even though they might nip once in a while, it's still a merciful bite if it doesn't require stitches or a bag of ice containing your severed finger

these birds are highly intelligent - I cannot stress this enough ... to a scary degree sometimes ... they require a great deal of emotional and mental stimulation and interaction, so they are't something that can just be kept in a cage and looked at *if you aren't going to be home for long periods, at least leave a TV on for it where it can see and hear it - you wouldn't believe how much something like that can enrich and improve their lives if they don't have human or other large bird interaction*

I wish you the very best of luck finding a forever home for your friend there ... we'd take her in without even thinking twice about it if we weren't so far away ... we have a huge 2 story aviary with perches and climbing branches that go from the floor all the way up to the 25' ceiling (we keep all of the flight feathers clipped on all of our companion birds) and there's a 6'x8' double-patio-door-sized electrochromic skylight (I made the electrochromic glass myself) in the roof, and windows/vents all around it, so it's like the next best thing to being in a safe, enclosed 25' tall outdoor aviary ... naturally, with a room that size, there's always a comfortable amount of room for one more at this stage, and birds like this almost always get along well with each other if they have enough space - we could easily handle another 5-7 large birds with the accommodations that we have set up now, but we don't add any to our flock unless we find homeless ones or ones in a similar situation to yours

you're right about their lifespan ... I know of one personally that is 72 years old with paperwork to prove it ... it's a Sulphur Crested and came right from Australia in 1940 as a 2.5 year old raised from an egg from an abandoned nest - still a very active, healthy bird without any signs of slowing down ... if anyone here's considering taking him up on this, know that it's a very, very long commitment - but if you're serious about putting in the effort into it, it's SO worth it that it's beyond describing

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Does it look like this?

or is its crest more of an orange?

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys I meant Umbrella not Sulphur Crested :)

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rabbit,

You are spot on about her demeanor. She loves to be held and loved up, my dad would lie on the couch with her and they would watch tv together for hours, snooze together etc.. And she's spent time with more than one person so she never became a one person bird. Most one person birds don't seem to last long with a new owner. Peaches has always been very happy mentally which is important. I pet her and talk to her and whistle with her all the time.

We never encouraged her to talk, instead I whistle to her, and she whistles back, all sorts of crazy made up tunes :)

She needs a home where someone can spend a lot more time with her than I can devote and someone that understands these birds are a way of life and a life long commitment.

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some quick shots I took yesterday, notice she's ready to attack and lop my finger off! (Kidding) :) She's a trained attack bird!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts