My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey is anyone using biodiesel in their tractors and vehicles? I just ran across a website tonight when I got home and was wondering if anyone was using this stuff. It has me wondering and I might give this stuff a tryout in my old Kubota. I would probably try a mix of about 50% biodiesel and 50% regular #2 diesel. If anyone has a imput I would appreciate it. I did find a website and I have been reading thru it and it is below.

http://www.nbb.org/resources/fuelfactsheets/default.shtm

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Michael... I have been using 10% bio in my Dodge pickup for over a year. I was even paying a 2 cent premium for it at first (same price now) as I have a good friend who grows soybeans! and I work for him from time to time!

The 10% option is all that is available at the truck stop I fuel at. Farmer Glen told me that he can get as much bio blended into his farm fuel as he wants. He is just starting to use it this week, and was not sure how much he was going to blend in. He wanted my advice... I have no idea!

I have not noticed any difference in performance in my Dodge, or any change in fuel economy. I do feel good about keeping a little of my fuel $$ here in good old North Dakota, rather than investing in some Mideast country's, or Mexico's economy!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have not used it yet and until now I didnt think it was available anywhere near me but comes to find out their looks to be a store within 45 miles. May have to try it. :fing02:

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
Here is a company that is making new stationary engines that will run on 100% bio-diesel. I think we will be seeing more of this in the future, as imported energy costs go up and folks realize we can develope this into a renewable resource. Maybe 50-100 years down the road, the world will rely on America's farmers for fuel like they used to rely on them for food.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I think it will be here quicker then 50-100 years. They make quality lubricants without oil, plastic from corn starch, bio diesel, methane from manure pits, solar and wind power are getting bigger and bigger. Humans are a creative bunch and will learn to wean themselves from conspicuous oil consumption out of shear need. The world will be a better place for it also. One hundred years is a long time when one considers where we were one hundred years ago.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
I was thinking more in terms of 50 years would be the end of the transition. Saudi arabia would again just be a really big sandy beach with no other value. :woohoo1: And prosperity would return to those that work the land growing our fuel. :Tractor2: :Orange_tr

·
Registered
658 Posts
would that be great to have complete fuel independance by growing soybeans in your back yard!! Kinda like the corn burning furnaces that are available now for heat. when ever its available I'll go for it!

I am also interested in the ethanol that hopefully will become more easily available and useable in more vehicles so we can tell the rag heads where it stick their oil!

Andy

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have looked at a couple of web sites for bio diesel. They caution to use only a 20% blend with older equipment due to the make up of the rubber orings and gaskets in the fuel system. If I remember right the bio will break down the rubber. You can upgrade and run bio. The newer trucks and tractors are fine to be used with it. Also of interest, the bio diesel actually cleans the insides of the tank and fuel lines so watch your filters! Oh, and the best reason to run BIO....... :smilie_fl !

Do a search with keyword bio diesel, there is a ton of info out there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts