My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
About every 4 cuttings i clean my deck and i spray it with diesel or WD40 whole lot cheaper. As for the crabgrass i just bought some IMAGE from lowes put it out two days ago for crabgrass and it just starting to yellow. Hope it works:thThumbsU

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well in some places if I kill the crab grass I'll have nothing. :banghead3
Still in the process of taming the place. Was a hay field 3 years ago. Been working a little at a time spread some seed here. A little sod there. If see any Centipede or Zoysia creeping out on a parking lot or side walk I cut out and bring it home. I ask first of coarse. :fing32:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Cut it before it gets seed heads because next year it will be worse

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that does help it is actually better than it was last year. Still got work to do!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I can't wait! That oookie buildup between our blades is a #1 topic around here even in the dead of winter! I haven't read any "Eureka Moment" posts so far for any one product...:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Subscribing...hopefully you can give us some feedback to this stuff...by the way, how much did it cost ya?

Matt

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure why some peeps are having such a time with grass build up.
It has to be the differences of the grass and or soil.
Here is my deck before I cleaned it, and then after a few minutes of scrubbing with a soft brush.
I don't get much buildup on most of mine. But there is a patch crabgrass that holds moisture really well. I can actually hear it building up as I mow. I know the real solution is get rid of the crab grass but that is next years project. I hope this will help a little.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is not the only section of crab grass I have. Like you said something about the soil I guess. Its weird it is the highest part of my property but grass is the juiciest.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yea I get a decent amount of buildup on my deck, but my soil is almost always moist, especially in the back yard... the grass stays nice and green, but hellish on the mower deck. I think it has ALOT to do with how wet your soil is, as the grass is then alot "jucier" when you cut it, causing it to stick..... and all it takes is a couple of wet patches, then everything sticks.... Some days I feel like a man trapped in a land of soup armed with nothing except a fork.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
My yards about the same way, Towards the road there's a low spot that seems to always be moist. I got my Husqvarna stuck twice today by the creek, thankfully it's not that heavy...I just pick it up and lift it outta the rut.

Matt

·
Registered
610 Posts
I sprayed my deck with dry graphite last time I cleaned it as per my dealers suggestion. The next time I cut the grass there was no build up, but barely any dry graphite left to see. The next cut after that I started to get some build up as I figured I would. I think it would work great as long as you sprayed it almost every second cut. The dry graphite spray I use was made by LPS.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
I think the reason your crab grass is sticking is because it sucks up most of the moisture your lawn gets. Your good grass is turning brown, while the crabgrass is green, right. If it wasn't for crabgrass there are some lawns that I mow, that wouldn't have any grass at all. That graphite spray sounds interesting, I have most of my problem with grass sticking during the spring time, due to so much rain. I bought a jet sprayer it`s nothing more then a long spray wand that shoot out a really strong spray from just a garden hose. I wash out my deck when it starts to plug up, beats scraping, and is less time consuming, the stream out of the end will travel at least 40 feet. It`s only $19.95, I got mine in a store that carries as seen on TV items.

Sorry just a little off topic. There`s only one grass that is worse looking and harder to get rid of then crab grass, it`s called quack grass it`s real name. Link with photos http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/agrre.htm. This stuff is very nasty will grow 3 times as fast as your lawn in a week and looks like you got elephant grass growing in your lawn, and spreads with each mowing. It spreads with little runners attached to any new growth as well.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I sprayed my deck with dry graphite last time I cleaned it as per my dealers suggestion. The next time I cut the grass there was no build up, but barely any dry graphite left to see. The next cut after that I started to get some build up as I figured I would. I think it would work great as long as you sprayed it almost every second cut. The dry graphite spray I use was made by LPS.
I hope this performs better. It probably wont. I guess this mower has done pretty well so far. I have 16 hrs on it and this is the first time I have had to clean it out. I filled a 3 gallon bucket 2/3 full earlier today. I like to make things as easy as possible within reason. That's why i bought the x500. Mowing 4 acres with a box store husqvarna was killing me and the husqy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts