My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In talking with a gentleman in a dealership, he informed me that he always kept a trickle charger attached to his tractor's battery when it was not being used. He said it kept the battery better charged and cut down on the "work" the tractor had to do to recharge the battery after starting. This idea is new to me, and I see a bit of possible application from what he said, but that is way out of my knowledge range, so I am wondering if any of you do that...and why? Benefits?

Thanks

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I use one about once per month overnight on each of my batteries. No need to do it all the time on a vehicle with a functional charging system.

As for Brand, I prefer Battery Tender.

4 Boat Batteries, 2 RV batteries, 1 motorcycle battery, and 2 tractor batteries.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I have 3 battery tenders and leave them on all the time. I've had one on my '01 HD Fat Boy from new and got almost 8 years out of the oem battery. Mind you the bike sits more then gets used with only 4K miles. I'd have to say thy're with it. I keep one on my wifes bike, generator and tractor/mower back and forth depending on which one I use last.

MU

·
Registered
641 Posts
Can anybody recommend a current model from Amazon or something that would fit the need of us wanting to keep our tractor batteries in good shape?

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Just take a look at the rest of the thread. Battery Tender seems to be very popular. I use them on all my motorcycles and on the tractor in the winter.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Battery Tender here also. I use the quick connects that are hard wired to the motorcycle batteries, and just use the standard clamps for the tractors.

I try to rotate between machines regularly, but don't keep up on it in the spring/summer like I should.

It's part of any maintenance/tune-ups I do also - will hook the battery up while the machine is in the garage.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Schumacher makes fantastic battery chargers. WalMart carries them. Make sure you get one with an automatic shut off. They make chargers for some of the major tool companies. I have 4 of them. I picked 3 of mine up in thrift shops. I have one with a quick jump start. They are small and easy to store. I even keep one on my sail boat. On my sail boat I have a little solar panel and keep the battery charged that way. It works geat.
My power wheelchair and scooters have automatic chargers built in. I would never take the time to put one on a tractor. That is just me. I take the batteries out for he winter and charge them up befroe I put them back in. Last time I had to buy a battery was 6 years ago and I have no problems at all with my batteries.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never having seen a Battery Tender, do the tractor's cables need to be disconnected from the battery while using this device? Also, who sells these?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I got my battery tender at the local Harley dealership. You may be able to find one at the local lawn equipment shop? Or you could order online.

There are a few versions that offer multiple hookups, but sounds like you'll be fine with a single connection.

It comes with alligator clips, so you can connect directly to the battery while it's still in the tractor.

·
Registered
641 Posts
There are many Battery Tender models on Amazon. Was wondering if one was better then the other.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I use the "Battery Tender Plus" - that's the most common one I've seen for sale and used by people I know.

Looks like the "Jr" is a bit cheaper. Not sure of the differences but it's worth researching if it saves you a few bucks and will suit your needs.

I also see a Schumacher on Amazon that RStocker was talking about. Good reviews, good price, and looks like it does the same thing. And available at Walmart may add to convenience.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm using four battery Tender Jr's. on my three & my wife's motorcycles. I considered getting one of the multiple hook-up Battery Tenders, but the cost was so much more than buying seperate units & if one happens to go bad I can replace just that one at less cost. I plan to get at least two more Battery Tenders. One for my backhoe & at least one for the lawn & garden tractors.

A little warning about using any long term battery charger. Make sure you occasionally check the electrolite level in the battery. It does need to be refilled once in a while if you leave a charger hooked up......unless it's a gell battery like my Harley has.

·
Registered
641 Posts
There are many Battery Tender models on Amazon. Was wondering if one was better then the other.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
Not sure about one being better or not, I have a Battery Tender Plus that is about 15 or so years old and it's never failed me. I think if you stay with the Brand Name you will be ok.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
I picked up a few Battery Tender Jr's off of Ebay. I only use them on my Mustang's. I don't have issues with my tractor battery's, so I never have to charge them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a black&decker battery maintainer that works great is selectable between 2amp and 1amp i bought it at wallyworld for $25 or $30 came with attachments for cig lighter alligater clips or ring terminals that would hook to the cable bolts so you can charge the battery any of three ways . ive had it for about 4 years with no probs

·
Registered
232 Posts
We used Battery Tender at the Hardley Ableson R&D facility. We had several of the Multi's and they kept full all the time.

I bought this one for my motorcycles because it's portable and weatherproof. I hardwired a 12vdc connector to the battery for easy plug in with the benefit that the plug fits my heated riding gear. I use the supplied clamps for tending the mower batteries. I really need to just buy a couple more as they are the absolute best. I can honestly say it was one of the least expensive, most useful and best electronic purchases I have made.
http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=36

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I use a Schumacher Smart Charge - like they have at Wal-Mart - and like it a lot. It handles the charging well and falls over to the trickling after the charge is completed (it actually pops back on whenever the voltage falls below a certain point).

I just use cheap jumper cables to gang two batteries in parallel to keep them maintained over winter.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Got a question about safety with these trickle chargers. I have both my tractors in my shed along with other pieces of OPE and all of them have some levels of gas in them. Have you ever heard of anyone maintaining their tractor battery and the gas fumes catching the shed/garage/etc on fire??

I've put the maintainers on over night, but I just can't make myself trust those things for much longer than that with all the fumes in that shed. And, the shed is connected to the house alarm system so I can't leave the windows open much (a hassle to reroute the alarm).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts