My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Actuators do ware Don't know what He using. Some Manufacturers Make Rebuild kits for off the shelf actuators if that's what he is using . Like In Johns(JB) Case they make the actuators to his specs and the don't offer rebuild kits

Hopefully they last awhile. Like I said for me this is perfect solution, I'll just use it for mulch in spring and occasional projects. That's the beauty of this Bucket loader, for homeowner with occasional use needs its perfect. Love the fact I can do some light digging and then load dirt into my 10P cart. I already ordered Bucket loader- about a 6 week lead time, so should have it mid to late march- perfect for my spring use!! I'll be sure to post some videos once I get it

·
1K poster
1,840 Posts
I'm with Tudor here, the geometry has to be terrible on a X300 series and not ideal to say the least on an X500 series. Certainly the X500 is better rated, weight, tranny and front axle than an X300, but there are still many limitations. In all the YouTube videos with the LGM, none looked like they were proficient with loader operation. When I had my 445 with 40, if it wasn't properly ballast, it could upset quickly and even with my 1023E, if I'm not careful or have it properly ballast, it requires 4X4 to back out of areas. Now, to be clear, I lift much heavier items with the 1023, but scaled, it's still the same concept. But I guess, if you do REALLY light work with these units, it's always better than grabbing a shovel for sure?. I'm pretty sure now having had a loader for close to two years, I could never live without one.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think it is interesting, but I agree that it doesn't replace a real loader. Now, what a real loader is, is going to depend on the job. I have a set of three compost bins that are each about 4CY. My CUT can move the contents of one bin to my neighbors properties in about an hour. My old neighbor's Case 580 could probably do it in 5 min. The LGM could probably empty one bin in about a day, but it would not be able to lift high enough to fill one of the bins.

It also wouldn't be able to move 15 tons of 2" rock 600 feet down a trail. It might be able to move 15 CY of chips/mulch that distance, but it would take awhile.

It would be neater filling up my 10P or 15 cart, since it looks like the bucket is small enough to not overflow the cart. But in stead of 2-3 bucket fulls, it looks like would need at least 10. So it would probably take at least 5 to 10 times as long.

Where I believe it would be great is for small jobs where a bigger tractor would be too big or hard to maneuver. A few decades ago, I moved 5CY of mulch with a wheelbarrow. I would not do that again, but the LGM would not have been able to do the job either. Access would not have been possible and it (and the X300 or X500) would have caused too much damage to the landscape if it had been able to get there.

I still want to see the grapple for it. That is something that I think would be useful and would consider buying one. I have even though about adding a grapple to a Johnny Bucket.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Carlos plans on introducing a grapple option for the unit. This unit is in no way shape or form designed to replace a hydraulic FEL off a one series. It's for light duty - think of a more capable Johnny bucket that X300's/X500's have run for years.( without issue) I plan on doing some light digging of mulch beds,( I'll be able to take dirt and put it in my 10p cart without leaving tractor ) spreading top soil, and distributing 10 yards of mulch I put out every year. Doubt I'll use it more than a few times a year. But when I do have a need to use it, its pretty darn handy tool to have for suburban homeowner on typical suburban lot. After initial install unit takes 2 min to put on or take off. Its not super heavy so easy to handle and store. The addition of the electric Bucket loader will make my X590 that much more capable.

·
blinged out
1,235 Posts
I've been in contact with carlos about purchasing one for my x540. them being in florida and me in can. shipping becomes another pretty large cost! I've been contacting him about options to get the parts and raw cnc'd brackets to me for completion and He seems very open to the idea! Hopefully all the ducks align!
I do a lot of flower garden work and shoreline fill in the spring at the resort. the extra reach of his design looks very appealing to me as I don't need high capacity machine in there tearing up the grass and making more work. Everytime I bring in the terex it's a bigger job repairing sod than the original job!

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Does anyone have a price for one of these loaders? I looked up some components to build one and they added up really fast. Three good industrial servos were around $750. The joystick controller and electrics were about $250 and the steel would be around $700. I realize this is the cost of a heavy-duty unit and not servos from eBay but still, that's a lot of money for a very limited loader. That is also not countling the counterweight needed and its associated brackets. This would be my cost and no labor charges.

·
Registered
149 Posts
$ 2195-- if you go for the 2x speed actuators they are 75 bucks a piece upgrade- so 700/800 bucks or so more than Johnny Bucket- but worlds more capable, after uprights are mounted( you can leave them on full time if you want) its a matter of a few min to install or take off the bucket- just disconnect the actuators and pull a few cotter pins
Does anyone have a price for one of these loaders? I looked up some components to build one and they added up really fast.
So your pricing seems in line with the asking price, at least so it appears?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Carlos uses , ( Concentric Glideforce 8 inch 1,000 lbs actuators ) are about $350 bucks a piece retail( have 3 of them on tractor) - so yeah price seems to be right-- I did a little research myself
As for ballast - since I already run a 47 inch snow blower- I'm all set with wheel weights and suitcase weights. But yeah a homeowner that didnt already own them could easily add another 300/400 bucks to cost. Unit is 700/800 bucks more than a Johnny Bucket, but it also much more capable than Johnny Bucket

And BTW that cost includes Complete unit, welded, ready to bolt on, painted, & wired w/ switch harness, includes all bolts & pins. From units I seen he even send tie wraps

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
So $2200 plus rear weights and bracket, $400 and shipping $200 approaching $3000. Man, I think you guys need to look at bigger tractors with hydraulic loaders on them for these kinds of prices. I just sold a low time 445 and a 40 loader for $6400. I figured $2500 for the loader and $3900 for the 445. I personally like the little L130 with the beautiful loader that is a one of a kind. Using the deck drive pulley to operate the hydraulic pump is a great idea. You can buy four hydraulic rams for less than two of the electric rams. The pumps are in the $150 range. Hoses are $500, but if you plan ahead and look at what the Surplus Center has in stock you can cut that cost in half easily and the steel at about $600. Control valve around $150 plus reservoir, $125. I put it at $2000 with you being the labor. All you need is a wire welder and a few workshop tools and you are on your way. BTW, just from watching the video if I bought one I would add two diagonal braces running from the top of the uprights to the frame by the footrests. Those long lever arms pushing back as he rammed a pile puts one heck of a strain on the uprights where they meet the frame. A 300-pound impact with the bucket on three feet of upright equals 900 pounds of rotational force on the uprights. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Neat. But i predict cracked frames on these applications.

·
blinged out
1,235 Posts
I have 2 bigger loaders,but sometimes work area and ground conditions requires light duty!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I really like the idea, but I'm holding off on getting a bucket till maybe his fall or went I get around to project where I need it (got about 3 majors one on hold). I'm also considering that maybe using at 2500 toward to a mini subcompact excavator or tractor (10k) is a better use of funds, especially considering finance deals and resale.

·
Super Moderator
16,284 Posts
Carlos uses , ( Concentric Glideforce 8 inch 1,000 lbs actuators ) are about $350 bucks a piece retail( have 3 of them on tractor) - so yeah price seems to be right-- I did a little research myself
As for ballast - since I already run a 47 inch snow blower- I'm all set with wheel weights and suitcase weights. But yeah a homeowner that didnt already own them could easily add another 300/400 bucks to cost. Unit is 700/800 bucks more than a Johnny Bucket, but it also much more capable than Johnny Bucket

And BTW that cost includes Complete unit, welded, ready to bolt on, painted, & wired w/ switch harness, includes all bolts & pins. From units I seen he even send tie wraps
It's more capable as Far as lift height. But excavation work even On small scale I would Go with the Johnny Bucket. Being a bit more Capable In that department. I am a bit leery of the Loader frame On this front Mounted Loader I can see a Possible issue with the Pivot Point Construction. That is One Place where I think Little Buck does a Better job in there design. But I think Carlos's Loader will be perfect for Moving Lose Material. Though don't think I would try wet concrete That's even fun with a tradition Garden tractor Loader On a fully Ballasted Tractor and Having a full bucket. But for You Needs this electric actuator Loader seems to be perfect (y)

·
Super Moderator
16,284 Posts
I really like the idea, but I'm holding off on getting a bucket till maybe his fall or went I get around to project where I need it (got about 3 majors one on hold). I'm also considering that maybe using at 2500 toward to a mini subcompact excavator or tractor (10k) is a better use of funds, especially considering finance deals and resale.
I take it You Have a X500 series
If You good at any type of fabrication this Full Loader kit would work Just fine On a X500 series P.F. Engineering Do It Yourself Plans - Home or even One of these CadPlans Corporation - Loaders because cad Plans with send You a Kit that all you really have to do is assemble it and either Plan would allow You to have a Local Metal Fabrication shop Build it (y)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My Bucket loader shipping out Monday, should have it by end of the week. Just in time for spring

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Well received the unit Thursday- took me about 3 hours to to unbox and install- from here on out to remove it, as simple as disconnecting quick connect plugs to actuators and pulling a few pins, takes all of 3 min. Over the next few weeks, I'll use it to spread out 20 yards of topsoil, dig up edges on mulch bed and then distribute 10 yards of mulch around my property. Really makes my X590 all that much more capable of a machine. I'll make a few more videos of the FEL in use over the next few weeks'

·
22,023 Posts
First, you never consider the weight of the operator as part of the ballasting program. If you do, and the need arises that you have to step off of the tractor while it is supporting a payload, there is a distinct possibility that the rear of the tractor will rise the moment that your foot starts to carry weight when it is on the ground with the resulting risk of injury.

Second, 268 lb of rear ballast is inadequate to counter a full bucket of dirt. The loader plus 4.5 cu-ft of dirt will weigh about 600 lb. On a full size GT loader, the loader/bucket is balanced on the front axle. A mini loader's weight is ALL ahead of the axle. Add roughly 400 lb of dirt for a 4.5 cu-ft bucket plus the weight of the mini loader, and AT LEAST 360 lb comes off the rear axle to achieve balance. That's a shortfall of 92 lb for a conventional loader with the bucket closer in to the front axle. With the long reach of the mini loader, even more weight will come off the rear axle with the resulting loss of traction over just driving the tractor alone.

Keep in mind that the rear axle is rated for a maximum of 1000 lb static load when applying ballast. That DOES include the weight of the operator, but does not include wheel weights or liquid ballast in the tires.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Bucket weights about 70/80 lbs, Dirt weighs between 70 and 110 lbs per cubic foot depending on moisture in soil - no way I could get 4.5 cu feet in that bucket, its only 42 inches wide and not deep- I'm guessing with dirt I'd be hard pressed to get more than 300 lbs of material into bucket. Looks like bucket will hold maybe slightly more than typical; wheel barrow ( they range in size between 2 and 3 cubic feet) Bucket is similar in size to Johnny bucket which holds 2.5 cu feet of material

Again I'll know more next week when I get 20 yards of soil delivered. All I know is several of these Little green monsters out in field, many on x300 series and they all seem to be operating fine. .

*** Update- measured bucket-- Johnny bucket is 42 inches wide by 10 inches height, by 14 inches deep - holds 2.5 cu feet lifts 4 inches high

Little Green monster is 42 inches wide by 14 inches height by 14 inches deep, lifts 44 inches high - so slightly larger than Johnny Bucket - so I dunno what that equates to 3 cu feet?? I said 500lbs in video- that is probably an exaggeration the bucket would do it- not so sure tractor would handle it -- probably max safe load is around 300 lbs.. 3 cu feet of dirt weighs between 210 lb and 300 lbs depending on moisture in soil that's probably max safe load for 500 series

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I think for a lot of people this little loader will work out just fine. Tudor is giving good advice and safety is number one for all of us. Just keep in mind that uneven ground, especially hills can be very unpredictable when using a loader. Going downhill can change the direction of the center of gravity and create a situation where a rear-wheel braked tractor has no traction on the rear tires and thus no rear brakes. ALWAYS carry your load at the lowest possible height for this reason. I think most owners of this loader will use it more like a whee barrow than a loader with heavy constant loads. For that reason, I believe it will last accordingly. Good luck Tony.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts