My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone using Seafoam AND MMO at the same time in their LawnBoys or Trimmers and 2 cycle leaf blowers. My leaf blower is getting tempermental and was wondering if I should cycle through a few tanks of Seamfoam/MMO mix like I do in the Lawnboy.

I currently run the Lawnboy at 32:1 but then add a 1oz-2oz of Seafoam per gallon was thinking of adding a bit (1oz of MMO per gallon to the mix) as well-or should I just stick to Seafoam OR MMO not both at the same time?

Also since my weedeater and blower use 2.6oz oil per gallon-what should I mix Seafoam and/or MMO at per gallon? Any recomendations.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Uhmmmmm....................?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Marvel recommends to substitute 25% of your 2 cycle oil with MMO. I usually mix my regular 2 stroke oil at 40:1 and then add MMO up to the 32:1 ratio. That's really only a 0.2 ounce difference from the 25% in a gallon of gas but I use a Ratio Rite mixing cup and it's easy for me that way. On the other hand, some guys just add 1 ounce of MMO per gallon. If you just add MMO, I'd watch for unburnt oil in your muffler. As far as your blower/weedwacker. Just add 1 ounce MMO per gallon to your 50:1 mix. I run 50:1 Stihl mix with 1 ounce MMO per gallon in my MS-250 chainsaw and it runs fine. As for Seafoam. 2 ounces per gallon for a serious cleaning. Then run 1 ounce per gallon after that.

·
Lawn-Boys Everywhere
1,291 Posts
I currently run the Lawnboy at 32:1

Thanks
A member of this forum was sending out free samples of Amzoil a while back. Since using the sample and several additional bottles purchased locally, I really like the oil. I noticed less smoke.

bruce....

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have been using Berrymen Carb Cleaner......very similar to SeaFoam......I noticed an immediate cleanout on the TORO and my 10515. They both smoked much less. This can also be attributed to the use of a Ratio Rite cup. I was mixing just a tad rich for the Toro.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Does either Seafoam or MMO contain alcohol that can hurt our two strokes? Just curious - saw something about alcohol not being recommended in the operator's manual the other day.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Does either Seafoam or MMO contain alcohol that can hurt our two strokes? Just curious - saw something about alcohol not being recommended in the operator's manual the other day.
Ethanol fuel is the main reason you should use MMO in all your engines. I don't know about Seafoam because I only use it as a cleaner once or twice a year.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sea Foam's main ingredient is isopropyl alcohol.

I have used it in the past, but never really had much to say about it. To me it just felt like I burned up 9 dollars worth of nothing.

For my small engines, I've never had a need to use any gasoline additives ever. I just try to make a valiant effort to find fuel without ethanol in it (getting quite difficult in WI these days, and in some states, impossible) and that's about it. I've even used last year's fuel with no issues. It smells a little funny and doesn't make as much power, but it still runs just fine.
Sta-Bil is another product that people swear by, but I've never had a need to use. I've never really seen a no-start condition that I could directly blame on stale fuel. My dad has an old Powr-Gard generator with a 7 HP B&S engine built in 1974 that sits for literally years on end with gas in the tank. That machine has never not started on the first or second pull, and it runs perfectly no matter how old the gas happened to be.

For my vehicles, I do like a product called Neutra by Schaeffer Oil Company. It cleans injectors up really nice, and has even shown to de-carbon combustion chambers and piston tops to some degree. Very impressive product, and reasonably priced. www.schaefferoil.com has more info on it. I also use their Supreme 7000 oil, and it too works great. Best "bang for the buck" I've ever had.

·
Registered
594 Posts
In our manuals it states that over time, premix fuel can have a problem called, phase seperation. When we use a fuel that has ethanol in it, the gasoline, the alcohol and the oil seperate into 3 stages. That is why they recommend shaking the fuel , or using fresh fuel mix when possible.

This is what My Comm M service manual says:
Unacceptable Fuel: Do not use any regular unleaded, regular leaded, or premium unleaded gasoline having more than 10% ETHANOL or more than 5 % METHANOL even if it contains cosolvents or corrosion inhibitor and regardless of octane rating.
Alcohol extended fuels may result in engine running quality problems such as vapor lock, fuel
"starvation", or moisture absorption do to phase separation on premix fuel If running quality problems are experienced, switch to a gasoline without alcohol.
Alcohol attracts and holds moisture which may cause corrosion of metallic parts of the fuel
system.

While I agree, it is impossible to fine in major cities non-ethanol fuels because many of the vendors receive state /federal tax credits on fuels......

I have yet to see a huge issue running 90/10 blend no lead w 2 oz of Berryman Carb Clean and a 40:1 oil ratio in my mowers........

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
well then my dad always gets whats cheapest and i think its ethanol. I use a little MMO in everything. I just add what seems right. I do love the stuff. I had a tiller that sat outside for many many years and i added some MMO to the gas (after i emptied out the greenish gas) and it quit smoking as much and had way way more power! I do love the stuff! I added a little into my gas tank on my bonneville and i havent noticed very much change but i have only driven it like 10 miles since i added it.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
Here in Illinois it's impossible to find gas without 10% ethanol in it, and I have never once had a problem with it in all the years I've been running it.

I buy Sea-Foam by the gallon and treat every batch of gas I mix up with it. Keeps the carbs clean and running good. Never had much experience with MMO, but other people on here seem to like it. I don't think using them both at the same time would yield any benefit...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I started dosing my the gas for my mowers and blowers with MMO about 3 yrs ago. I use about a quart a yr all told. Since I started using it, I no longer have to tear down the carbs every spring to clean out the varnish. I add a capful per tank fill up. 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
I store the equipment with a bit of Stabil added to the gas. Then I run the carb dry using the shut off. Occasionally, I will add some Berryman's B 12 to the gas. I dunno if it does anything, but I dont have to mess the carbs and the engines start easily. The LB 7072 trimmer started on the first pull this spring. Yeah, the exhaust smokes a bit, but I love the smell of MMO.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I started dosing my the gas for my mowers and blowers with MMO about 3 yrs ago. I use about a quart a yr all told. Since I started using it, I no longer have to tear down the carbs every spring to clean out the varnish. I add a capful per tank fill up. 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
I store the equipment with a bit of Stabil added to the gas. Then I run the carb dry using the shut off. Occasionally, I will add some Berryman's B 12 to the gas. I dunno if it does anything, but I dont have to mess the carbs and the engines start easily. The LB 7072 trimmer started on the first pull this spring. Yeah, the exhaust smokes a bit, but I love the smell of MMO.
From everything I've read, it sounds like MMO and Sea-Foam are pretty close to the same thing. Sea Foam has a pretty oily texture to it as well.

Although it doesn't sound like MMO can be used as a fuel stabilizer like Sea Foam can.

Either way, you can't go wrong with using them to maintain or clean an engine.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
Someone posted this a few weeks back and I wanted to confirm. Menards sells Seafoam for $6.49 while my local parts stores sell Seafoam for $9. I purchased some last night.
Farm & Fleet sells it for $6.50 which seems to be the average price around here. Never looked at Menards but it wouldn't surprise me if they had it. The auto stores love to jack up the prices on stuff like that.

Last time I bought a gallon at Farm and Fleet, it was around $30 I believe. That was last fall and it takes me quite a while to use up a whole gallon.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Someone posted this a few weeks back and I wanted to confirm. Menards sells Seafoam for $6.49 while my local parts stores sell Seafoam for $9. I purchased some last night.
My local Wa-Mart took Seafoam off the shelf for about a month. When they brought it back it was $2 more per pint. From $6 something to $8 something. My local Menards still has it for $6 and change too. Wally World is still the best place for MMO. Under $13 per gallon.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I noticed my local homedepots are now carrying seafoam, I think it is $7-8....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts