My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll get some pictures on here later . I,ve just acquired this 417 A its not a cream puff but is complete except for the motor . The sheet metal is all very good the paint is dull but no rust . Deck is a side discharge 42" I think
it has some battle wounds from bumping into stuff nothing a hammer want
put back in shape . The hour meter shows 950 hrs give or take a fue . It
definitely is rebuildable . Any of you guys or gals have any interest in a machine like this i'm located in East Tenn between Knoxville an Bristol .
$ 250.00 an its yours . I.m gonna be out of town for a day or so i.ll check on getting those pictures on here when I get back . I haven't done that before
but i'm wanting to learn I know a picture is worth a thousand words an I enjoy them myself .
See YA GEO

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:wwp: Click on the Pink Panther for great picture help from Ken-N-TX!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
I may be. I'm just alittle north of Ktown but also out of town for a few days.
Pics would be VERY nice :D
Posting pics isn't hard at all. If they're too big it won't download. Theres a free program called pix resizer that'll compress any pic down to a downloadable 600x400.
Thanks
Dave

·
New 2 u
60 Posts
yeah you've got my attention also

·
16,826 Posts
Boy--folks jumped on that one...I do believe the 417-A was only made two years (85-86?)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay guys here it is. I can't take credit for getting this picture on here. My grand-daughter registered me a Photobucket Account, but I'm going to have to practice a few times to be able to duplicate this and possibly down size the picture. @ Volfandt, if you're interested send me a private message and we'll get together.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Travelingman, looks pretty good. Is all the hardware for the pto etc., still with it and just missing the engine? Is the engine laying around also?

Due to some circumstances beyond my control, a lightning hit here at the ponderosa that fried quite a few things, I'll remove myself from the top of the list and let a few of my fellow Tennesseans have at it. If none are interested we'll see how things shape out here in my home repair tasks :D
Dave

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to hear about the storm My Dads place was hit a couple of weeks ago . It laid two large Oak Trees down one across the driveway an one right beside there bed room
window. Then on top of that it ripped the tin roof off half of the barn . So I know where your comeing from . The mower seams to be all there just the motor missing, the story goes the old gentlemen that owned it sent the motor to be overhauled an passed before
he got it back, an knowone knew where he sent it . As you can see its not a cream puff
but its a good platform to build put back together or use for parts . You mentioned the pto it must of went with the motor . So Frank or anyone else interested send me a PM an we,ll try to get together .
George

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glenn 27 what kind of motors did these machines come with , was there a 17 HP ONAN ? It wouldn.t take much for me to get the fever an build it myself . I think I might like that lever for a motion control better than my coulum lever on my 520 H . An another question if it came with a Onan couldn.t a person mount one of the big 16 or 18 Hp single cly Kolers on it ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 417A came with a 17hp kohler on it. The engine number on my 1986 is KT17QS. Spec number is 24363 on mine. The serial number for the tractor itself is 31-17KE02. You can use those numbers when looking up parts etc. Good tractor.
Dayton

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks bmuone for the numbers thats a single cylinder isn't it ? Do you have any pictures of it ? How long have you had it, does that motion lever stay where you put it ?
Wonder how much a guy could pickup one of those motors for and a pto for the shaft ?
I.ll still sale it if someone wants it , but otherwize guess i,ve got a good project for winter once I get a fue things rounded up for it .

·
Registered
26 Posts
No Travelingman this is a four-cycle, twin cylinder, air cooled engine. I have had it about two years. I have never had problems with the motion lever, but I have heard of that happening. Usually that is corrected by the adjustment under the seat. No way of knowing how much a replacement motor or pto would cost. I found my tractor on craigslist and drove about two hours to get it. So look on craigslist and ebay and you might find a motor for less money than a new one. Or maybe a member at this site or RedSquare might have one. One word of caution......you can sink a lot of money into restoring these tractors before you know it. But they are great fun and quite useful if you are careful. Pay close attention to the old pros here. That is how I am learning.
Dayton

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
My plan, had I chose to accept this mission, was to look into a Honda repower kit. I'm not 100 % sure but a Honda 20hp V-Twin kit runs anywhere from $700 to $1500. Most are direct bolt-ons.
There are other options too. You could look into going w/a diesel, about the same $$$'s as the Honda kit or you can keep it in the dry and keep an eye out for a twin cylinder Kohler KT or opposed twin Magnum series (like an M17, M18, M20) , or an Onan or a B&S Vangard. Any of the above would be great repower engines. Course if your looking to stay OEM I do see KT's on ebay every now and then.

re. the lightning hit. Man it did a number on my home electronics. If I don't find anything else the cost will be below my insurance deductable so I'm not turning it in. It didn't hit the house, I believe it either ran in on the underground vehicle alert system or the telephone line as they are the systems that got the worst. And yes, theres more protection getting added to :D
Dave

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had forgotten that Honda made those motors too repower these wheel horeses . But which Diesel are you talking about ? I see your from knox county i,m up here in Hamblen
county . My proublem is getting time to work on my projects but i,ve had Wheel Horeses
for years, i've got a 310-8 an a 520 H . Its not like I need another mower I just love these machines . How do you like that sickle bar that you,ve got on the 876, do they cut good an can you still find normal ware parts for it like knives an guards ?
good

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Theres been afew folks that have repowered w/diesels. I did a quick forum search for diesel and came up w/ over 3 pages of hits. This thread http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=69970&highlight=diesel talks about repowering a Charger 10 w/ a gas engine but they talk about diesels.

I live in northeast Knox county in the Gibbs/Corryton area, just about a mile or so from the county line, as the crow flies :D
I get up to Morristown every now and then. Matter of fact, my SIL bought a 73 8hp "no name" WH from a fellow up in Morristown about a month or so ago. He hasn't done a thing to it besides mow with it. I found it on craigslist.

I don't recall it's name but there's a large hardware store on AJ hwy just before the S turns by Burnett Produce. He used to carry Wheel Horses. My wifes favorite Uncle that lived on the lake in Bean Station bought a new 2XX series from him quite a few yrs ago. He's since passed away but I think her cousin still has it.
My Mrs went to Walters State and stayed w/her Aunt & Uncle on the lake, talk about nice digs :D
For what I use it for, the sicklebar mower does a great job. I don't know If I'd use it for regular flatland mowing but it works great mowing a long bank thats too steep to mow with anything but a weed eater and also around my small pond.
I keep an eye peeled for spare parts all the time for it. I've got pieces of a spare toothbar that I've been robbing the knives off of and I've had to replace a couple belt pullies but other than that it's been pretty stout. I just make sure the gearbox is filled w/80w90 and I keep the rails oiled. Parts come up on ebay and I grab some when they're priced right but as you can imagine, folks are very proud of these parts.

Good luck w/it and let us know how it goes.
Dave

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bradleys Pro Hardware they ended up dropping the WH line when WH was bought an destroyed an the box stores started saleing them . Sounds like you,ve got ties to the area where i,m at . Some banks an ditch lines is exactly what interest me in the sickle
bar . I haven,t seen one but I would think they might have made one that would go on the 520H ?

·
16,826 Posts
Theres been afew folks that have repowered w/diesels. I did a quick forum search for diesel and came up w/ over 3 pages of hits. This thread http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=69970&highlight=diesel talks about repowering a Charger 10 w/ a gas engine but they talk about diesels.

I live in northeast Knox county in the Gibbs/Corryton area, just about a mile or so from the county line, as the crow flies :D
I get up to Morristown every now and then. Matter of fact, my SIL bought a 73 8hp "no name" WH from a fellow up in Morristown about a month or so ago. He hasn't done a thing to it besides mow with it. I found it on craigslist.

I don't recall it's name but there's a large hardware store on AJ hwy just before the S turns by Burnett Produce. He used to carry Wheel Horses. My wifes favorite Uncle that lived on the lake in Bean Station bought a new 2XX series from him quite a few yrs ago. He's since passed away but I think her cousin still has it.
My Mrs went to Walters State and stayed w/her Aunt & Uncle on the lake, talk about nice digs :D
For what I use it for, the sicklebar mower does a great job. I don't know If I'd use it for regular flatland mowing but it works great mowing a long bank thats too steep to mow with anything but a weed eater and also around my small pond.
I keep an eye peeled for spare parts all the time for it. I've got pieces of a spare toothbar that I've been robbing the knives off of and I've had to replace a couple belt pullies but other than that it's been pretty stout. I just make sure the gearbox is filled w/80w90 and I keep the rails oiled. Parts come up on ebay and I grab some when they're priced right but as you can imagine, folks are very proud of these parts.

Good luck w/it and let us know how it goes.
Dave

The bad part about these sickle bars , Dave, is that :

1. Not made anymore, of course--so what's out thre is all there is....

2. Many have been left outside, in the weather--so rust/corrosion is a bad factor...

3. Many have also succumbed to being 'canabalized" for parts for spares and other things....

I've only seen one or two since I got involved in this 'collecting madness'--and neither was worth the time to try to find all the parts--once weeds were waist high, in the dead of summer.....and a storm was coming up...

glenn

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Glenn, you got that right. Knock on wood, mine has been pretty dependable. The fellow I got it from actually pieced it together from several. The gearbox and frame is from the shortframe 42" while the toothbar/knives assembly is from the longframe 50". Kinda a frankensickle-stien, fits right on iin with my herd :D

Travelingman, I'd say a longframe 50" would bolt right up but I'd need to get a good closeup of a 520's frame right where the tranny bolts up to it. Sepcifically, the frame part I'm referring to is the vertical part where the front of the tranny bolts to the frame. If theres mounting holes on either frame side towards the bottom is where the sicklebar mowers rear frame pins. I'll see if I can post a pic of what I'm talking about later.
Bradley's yep thats the ticket. I can remember when he'd have 10 or so brand shiney new WH's lined up outside and more in the showroom. I'd stop in just to peep them out.
I used to have several large customers up there back in the 80's so I got up there 2 to 3 times a week for a couple yrs. I like the area.

re. WH's, A very nice looking low hr (listed @ 660 hrs) 520 hydro has been listed on craigslist up in white Pine TN. Anyone in this thread belong to it :D
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/grd/1872011015.html

Seems like I've gone yrs and yrs without hearing of any WH's in east TN and now they're coming out of the woodwork. Course I ain't complaining at all.
Almost seems like we may have enough to form up some sort of E TN WH get together :D

Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts