My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several 3000 Series Rears apart recently and most seemed to have a lot of wear on the 14T Spur Gears (717-1119) and the 10T Miter Gears (717-1120).

I have not seen(or heard of) these gears completely failing so if may be that they will work OK for a long time, even with a lot of wear, but if I could replace them for $100 ish, I probably would have, on one of the ones I worked on.

I am surprised that the CC price is not more than it is for these parts($28.12 & $20.34 each at PartsTree) considering that they want >$5 for some basic O rings, but occasionally someone will discover a source of parts that is considerable cheaper that OEM CC.

Anyone know of a good discount source for these? Links appreciated.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow, I thought I was the only one that noticed that. I had the same issue on my 3205 when I had it apart. I flipped the ones over that could be and hope for the best. Are these gears not made well?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I thought I was the only one that noticed that. I had the same issue on my 3205 when I had it apart. I flipped the ones over that could be and hope for the best. Are these gears not made well?
Todd, I was hoping you would reply, but was hoping it would be something like: you can get new gears for $10 each at ...

My theory is that they make the gears soft so that they are not brittle. I'm no metallurgy expert, but I think using a fairly low cost grade of metal, you can get maleable and soft metal that wears a lot, but is not very brittle, OR you can have hard and brittle that would not wear as fast, but might shatter and break. Race car ring and pinion are usually softer but "stronger" than street car gears that might wear longer, but won't handle as much abuse.

This year, I have seen quite few of these gears:

3165(that I have owned for 10+ years) approx. 400 hrs and a good bit of wear on these gears.

3205, hrs/use unknown. About the same amount of wear.

3200, just under 400 hours, but diff bolts came loose(would increase wear as only tips were touching) heavy wear on the gears.

Unk 3000 series 60T spur gear from Ebay(hours/use unk) that came with 10T Miter gears. Miter gears have significant wear. 60T spur gear farirly minor wear.

3200 axles from Ebay with 14T Spur gears(hrs/use unk) Axles/spines look good, but fairly heavy wear on the Spur gears.

3200 Tractor/Rear that I just bought, Hourmeter at 697. I was concerned about condition of gears, bolt tension so I pulled it apart. ALL of the gears(and other parts) inside it look GREAT and I saw nothing to make me think the rear had ever been apart.

With almost 700 hrs on the 3200, I was surprised(and very happy) to find that the gears look so good. Since the 3200 is probably newer (has newer D/L housing with 8 holes for D/L pins instead of 4) it makes me wonder if they may have made the gears harder on the later ones???

The XT3 GSX is supposed to have the same rear. Has anyone had one of them apart and if so, what did the gears look like.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While doing a little more web surfing for these gears I discovered that they apparently used the same gears in some 21XX Cub Cadets and 2206 Cub Cadets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts