My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so....I found out why my hydraulic tiller on my newly purchased 430 wasnt working. The splined shaft that comes out the rear side of the hydro, is supposed to mesh up with a female splined shaft that runs through a clutch to the rear of the tractor. Well, where the two (male and female) shafts overlap, they were only overlapping by about 3/8". It looks like they should have been overlapping by about 1". So the splines were mostly toast on the ends of the shafts but not terrible on the rest of the splined area. So my fix was gonna be to take the rear shaft out of the rear pto clutch (electric), take it to a machine shop, have them lengthen the shaft by about 3/4" put everything back together and hope it worked for another 15 years! BUT, in the process of trying to get the clutch and shaft apart, I broke several spot welds on the clutch housing, and even bent it a little. I dont think it will ever work again. So how was I supposed to take the clutch apart? I had all the bolts/nuts apart, snap rings off, sprayed some deep creep around the shaft, waited several hours. then I took it to the press and tried pressing the shaft out using an impact socket to press on to knock the shaft out of the center of the clutch. Well it came out all right! but tore the heck out of the whole clutch assy. There is even a piece of key stock along the side of the shaft that came out with it. I would assume that piece of key stock would fall right out, but it is still actually stuck to the shaft. What the heck did I do wrong?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts