My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a type of hand held starter kinda like they use on racecars sometimes but not quite exactly like one of course ( just for a reference ). My drill is not cutting it because the chuck will no longer hold a 3/8 ratchet extension and just rounds off the end of the extension because when its on its "on" and has no type of soft-start like a clutching effect or even a spring of an affair to let it take off a little slower before reaching a decent rotation. And my new $120 1/2 drill has already about had it as far as the chuck goes.
But I looked on the net and couldnt locate one to my surprise but I need one bad and dont mind paying for one so if anyone on here either knows where to find one or sell one or can make one feel free to PM me .
I cant tell what Im getting done unless I can start it like the new kill switch I put on it and other things as well.
A $300 starter and battery isnt the route I wanna go.
Thanks....i hope but I know its a long shot.

·
2,428 Posts
I guess your chucks are slipping on the extension? Why not grind one up into a triangle on the end so the chuck can get a grip?
I think a decent handheld big enough to spin that baby's gonna set you back around $300 anyhow...

Or cobble one up out of an old starter motor and some scrap?

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Plus, even if you find another motor and drive, you still have the problem that you're torquing that nut ever tighter on the end of the crankshaft. It wasn't designed for that, and will eventually fail.

If you want an electric starter, the gravely parts are your best bet.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Plus, even if you find another motor and drive, you still have the problem that you're torquing that nut ever tighter on the end of the crankshaft. It wasn't designed for that, and will eventually fail.

If you want an electric starter, the gravely parts are your best bet.
This.

Rip the threads out, or break it, and you have a real problem. (yes, voice of experience)

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess your chucks are slipping on the extension? Why not grind one up into a triangle on the end so the chuck can get a grip?
I think a decent handheld big enough to spin that baby's gonna set you back around $300 anyhow...

Or cobble one up out of an old starter motor and some scrap?
Thats whats happening Kubota Ronin

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the help thats why I use this forum only. I know some of you are tired of me but I live in a whirl wind and thats just how it is lol.
In a few mins I actually get to see a buddy of mine at his brothers grave that I grew up with that died when we were all about 15 yrs. old and was our first death we experienced. I havent seen the brother Im meeting in 20+ yrs. but prison will do that. ( him not me, I dont even have a record)
Anyhow I'll just have to go with grinding a cpl extensions because the only time or reason I have to start it is for the stuff Im working on like reinstaling the kill switch on H-Bar and see if the mower deck works and that stuff before I give it to him.
The only starter Im giving him is the strap and if he wants to put a starter on it he can obtain one and I'll help him put it on but Im not spending a grip on one of one of the machines.
I dont have any alternative but hope that it holds up the few times I have to start it to see whats working and such. I cant pull it right now and wont be able for some time unfortuneatly.
Thanks for the help, now I know the score

·
15,000 +posts!
19,927 Posts
I assume you want something like this,without spending 250 bucks ?..

I've made a few of those starters to start small engines with..

What I did was visit a local junkyard that's been there "forever"--they have old buses stuffed full of ancient starters,generators,etc,and I got one that was off an old Ford T-bird circa 1960 or so--it has a long shaft and no "nose", and the bendix drive gear & clutch assembly faces the starter rather than away from it..many older Fords used this design..

It was simple to take off the bendix drive,that left me with a long shaft about 6" long that was roughly 9/16" diameter...I was able to put a pulley on it that had a 5/8" bore,I just drilled into the shaft a bit so the set screw would bite in good,and I also filed the end of the shaft square,so a 1/2" drive socket would fit on it..

I rigged up a crude "handle" using a plumbing "riser clamp" and added a Ford starter relay to the handle with a push button,so I could hook the starter to a 12V battery and push the button with both hands firmly gripping the handle and spin over just about every engine I came across,ranging from push mowers to a twin cylinder Wisconsin...if the engine had a pulley,I used a long V-belt ,if it had just a nut on the flywheel,I used a socket.. riser clamp.jpg

This worked OK but one problem was the socket often became stuck to the flywheel nut once the engine started,or it became a missile ,and you had to be careful it didn't get you !..when I used it to start a tractor or horizontal shaft engine I mounted the starter to a hand truck,that way I could pull back on the hand truck to tighten the long V belt ,and most of the time it would just flop off once I released the tension on the belt ..I've seen videos of doing this on Go-Carts on YouTube...

·
Professional Homeowner
7,381 Posts
Instead of grinding your extension, why not just get a socket adapter for the drill? I have one that goes from the standard 1/4 hex pattern on driver bits to 1/4” socket, and another one that goes to 3/8”. I think one is craftsman and the other I bought at menards.
Also I second that the idea of regularly spinning that nut may end in disaster for the flywheel or crank.
Also it’s only going to take one time for that drill not to want to come right off that nut and someone will get hurt bad.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like one of these? I have one that goes from 3/8 to 1/2 and am still looking for it. I was thinking that 1/4 " would be a little weak on there.
I'll find it I hope.
All these adapters and the one I prolly need has went for a jog.

Attachments

·
2,428 Posts
I've got those too... wondered if they'd be up to it. I suppose you could give 'em a try...

·
Registered
642 Posts
I tried those 1/4 drive adapters before. It doesn't take too long before they break. I did it twice to make sure it wasn't something I did. I was using a 1/2" drill and I was using a 1/2 drive adapter with a socket. These old Gravely's are hard to turn over sometimes. I was using it to start it in cold weather (when it was 20 outside).

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
The gravely T-head has a big bucket of a piston. It displaces 29 ci, nearly the same as a 12hp Kohler. The Kohler has a compression release, because that's the only way they could get it to turn over with a reasonable sized electric starter.

·
Daryl G
884 Posts
Mark,
Isn't your son getting this machine? If so, I would not spend any money on a cranking tool. Remember that I frowned when you got rid of the starter on your second machine purchase!!! However, here is something I saw a while back and found to be very interesting - a kick starter mechanism on a Gravely!

\
It came from this thread: Scored a Postal LI though I could not find any other information about this contraption but I really, really like this idea.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mark,
Isn't your son getting this machine? If so, I would not spend any money on a cranking tool. Remember that I frowned when you got rid of the starter on your second machine purchase!!! However, here is something I saw a while back and found to be very interesting - a kick starter mechanism on a Gravely!
Wow fireant that thing is great! I wonder if it isnt homemade? But yes he is getting it and he can pull start it but I would like to have it running or at least "running right somewhat" before I get it to him or all will be a waste ya know?
He isnt real mechanical but in the last however many yrs. he has done everything to his vehicles and mowers as he can but that being said Im not the most mechanical inclined person to come down the pike but like me he is learning because we cant afford to pay anyone to work on our " clunkers" ( I used to love that word but noone uses it anymore lol!) he is learning on a have-to-basis.
Plus because of the Damd pandemic they have a week old baby to care for at his place and I dont wanna go near them and he dont have time to all of a sudden learn to work on Gravelys not to mention he works long hrs. to.
I have to stick to my plan, he has a mower of course but I do want to give this to him running as the plan has been since I laid eyes on it ya know.
I haven't worked on it in a week because I poked a few holes in my leg and its infected, but Im on antibiotics. Have a look.
Oh P.S. I wouldnt put that 1/4 " ftg. in that 1/2" drill but am looking for my 3/8 to 1/2" one I have somewhere. I wanna get all the stuff right on it as possible like seeing if the new kill button on H-Bars works that I removed for fear it was not right before getting 1/2" drill and drill starting it as little as possible like one or two times at best.
Later friend

View attachment 2457875 \
It came from this thread: Scored a Postal LI though I could not find any other information about this contraption but I really, really like this idea.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But I beg ANYONE to try to get some info on that boot starter. There would be a finders fee ( if they didnt buy it for theirself)

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mark,
After looking at it again it prolly isnt homemade because they have that nut beefed-up with what the sprocket rides on, or behind the nut.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mark,
Whats that Bendix looking white thing on the left side of that tractor w/the kick starter?
What would be better is if you had a holding gear like on a trebuchet ( midevil giant rock slinger) where you could crank it and it holds its pressure then snap it and it spins a few rotations. I had an old mower like that, you unfolded the cranking handle from top of the mower cranked it then when you closed it shut it cranked. It worked pretty good for awhile.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts