My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.princessauto.com/air/sandblasting/sandblasters/6320038-handheld-sandblaster

So, this was in the flyer today, and here's the deal.... I KNOW its teeny tiny, BUT:
0. This is about what I can afford
1. I don't have lots of space in the garage
2. I only have a teeny tiny compressor
3. I'm not PLANNING on doing big jobs.... blasting rust off the deck of my little jd 160 before rattle-canning it would be it...

So, I KNOW a bigger one will do more of a job, but this looks like the one for me... However, are there any hidden gotchas with these?

Thx

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I think you need a fairly hefty compressor to run any sandblaster. It's not really about pressure but more about CFM.

·
Super Moderator
35,729 Posts
Just a couple of gottcha's! If you have high humidity they will condense where the air and material meet and require a lot of cleaning! You will need to replace the ceramic or steel barrel occassionally!

·
13,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you need a fairly hefty compressor to run any sandblaster. It's not really about pressure but more about CFM.
Ratings say

5 CFM @ 90 PSI
Cont. air consumption: 20 CFM @ 90 PSI

So hopefully my little Craftsman can push it....

·
13,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a couple of gottcha's! If you have high humidity they will condense where the air and material meet and require a lot of cleaning! You will need to replace the ceramic or steel barrel occassionally!
It DID come with two extra ceramic barrels, but ya, I'm a bit worried about where I'd get replacements once I've worn the replacements out. OTOH, why worry, what're the chances the plastic the body is made out of will outlast the ceramic... for the price I paid for it... yup, I went out and bought it... Littletractorgal saw it, and said I had to... She has projects SHE wants to sandblast too, and its ALMOST a safe enough power tool for her.... she doesn't like power tools....

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I had one of the cheap cast aluminum ones from J C Whitney years ago. It would work OK for a spot about the size of a quarter, then I would have to stop due to the suction not picking up the sand.

20 CFM is A LOT of air. I would use it on really small spots just until you can see how your compressor is going to do. Be careful and don't overwork your compressor.

·
13,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have used this type and they make a mess and the sand gets a little costly
I thought ALL sand blasters made a mess! :)

Seriously tho, what sand did you use, and where did you get it? As you can probably tell, I haven't used a sand blaster before... ANY kind.... I figure, I gotta work up to using the REAL DANGEROUS tools... First the sand blaster, then the brazing torch, finally.... THE WELDER! :)

·
13,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had one of the cheap cast aluminum ones from J C Whitney years ago. It would work OK for a spot about the size of a quarter, then I would have to stop due to the suction not picking up the sand.

20 CFM is A LOT of air. I would use it on really small spots just until you can see how your compressor is going to do. Be careful and don't overwork your compressor.
Duly noted, DJ, thanks! I'll let the wife start with it then, until we figure out if it works! :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I thought ALL sand blasters made a mess! :)

Seriously tho, what sand did you use, and where did you get it? As you can probably tell, I haven't used a sand blaster before... ANY kind.... I figure, I gotta work up to using the REAL DANGEROUS tools... First the sand blaster, then the brazing torch, finally.... THE WELDER! :)
I get my blast media at a local rental outfit that sells it as a sideline to their blaster rentals. I prefer a blast media called "Black Beauty" (pulverized coal slag) as it cuts better and is less hazardous than sand.

The silica dust from sand will cause serious health problems if inhaled! A really good respirator is required for any blasting process!

Roger
Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

·
Registered
114 Posts
I will tell you that sand will get everywhere, in your ears, into engines, bearings, and other places you don't want. Do your blasting outside and use a face shield. Keep engine and mower parts covered...tight!:Stop:

·
13,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get my blast media at a local rental outfit that sells it as a sideline to their blaster rentals. I prefer a blast media called "Black Beauty" (pulverized coal slag) as it cuts better and is less hazardous than sand.

The silica dust from sand will cause serious health problems if inhaled! A really good respirator is required for any blasting process!

Roger
Old, Tired, and GRUMPY
Hadn't thought of that! Good point... Good thing we've got that respirator LTgal made me get when we were doing insulation!

·
13,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will tell you that sand will get everywhere, in your ears, into engines, bearings, and other places you don't want. Do your blasting outside and use a face shield. Keep engine and mower parts covered...tight!:Stop:
Outside..... Check!

Gonna have to start a list soon! :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Adding to the list of places the sand will end up:

*mouth
*nose
*down your shirt
*into your britches
*shoes
*socks

I'm sure you're beginning to get the picture here... Get some elbow length rubber sandblasting gloves; the ricocheting sand WILL hurt and possibly start bringing blood! A tip I heard was to acquire an old bed sheet; drape it over your head cutting a slit to look thru, the doubled over sections on each side are turned into sleeves with a few clothespins. Use Saran Wrap over the lenses of you faceshield & safety glasses to protect them from instantly fogging up.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hadn't thought of that! Good point... Good thing we've got that respirator LTgal made me get when we were doing insulation!
Recently my job has involved some serious sand blasting, there is about 3/4 of a mile of steel fencing that has to be blasted. We use an industrial blaster unit and a pull behind Ingersoll-Rand diesel compressor.

We don't use respirators (the wind blows away the dust quickly), but hearing protection and a face mask are essential.

The sand hurts pretty bad when it hits you after bouncing off your material, but it hasn't drawn blood yet. Walnut hulls hurt much worse than sand, and blasting in shorts is a terrible idea (don't ask me how I know)! In the summer when you're sweating, sand goes everywhere. Hair, arms, fingers, toes, everywhere.

We did try using walnut shells instead of sand, but they weren't quite as aggressive and weren't much cheaper. A 50lb bag of walnut hulls are about 1/3rd larger than an 80lb bag of sand though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It DID come with two extra ceramic barrels, but ya, I'm a bit worried about where I'd get replacements once I've worn the replacements out. OTOH, why worry, what're the chances the plastic the body is made out of will outlast the ceramic... for the price I paid for it... yup, I went out and bought it... Littletractorgal saw it, and said I had to... She has projects SHE wants to sandblast too, and its ALMOST a safe enough power tool for her.... she doesn't like power tools....
The place you got it from should sell new ceramic nozzles you will use them faster than you think apprx. i think i use to get about 5 to 6 hours out of one i do this on the side as a bussiness but it should work ok for you good luck let me know how it works out i bought one like it a while back just for little touch up jobs but never used it yet.:fing32:

·
13,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doh! Pulled the little Craftsman out of the garage to nail up some trim for our new windows this evening, and thought I'd look to see what it's rated at.. it tops out at 3.7 CFM at 90 PSI.... Haven't even gotten a chance to USE the sandblaster, and already I can't, 'cause its rated for 5 CFM!

Gonna need a bigger compressor, I guess..... HMMmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
This one here is probably a little more but I bought mine for $25 on sale. http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

You should be fine with the air on these small blasters. They don't have a big opening so they don't use a ton of air. It will take a long time if you are going to do large areas though. I got alot of use out of mine and the nozzle is definately worn out but it still blasts but not as good as when the tip was new.

It helps to run a fan over your compressor to keep the tank cool when you are running it hard. It helps keep the moisture down in the air.

The other thing I would say is that for thick metal regular play sand works well enough. You need the stuff that is cleaned and sifted though. Its going to get in your grass so I don't bother with the black beauty because I don't want that stuff laying around my yard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts