My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. Got me a new truck next weekend. 1997 f250 HD 4wd. 460 EFI with a 5 speed. Its got a new motor. I am not familiar with this engine. I have owned all carbureted engines. It says it has low hp and high tourque. My question is is is a good truck to pull a heavy trailor and is it quick when its not loaded? Is there any improvements i can do to the engine to gain about 70 hp and 90 ft lb withought blowing my budget? Looking to lift it and some MT's. Anyone have some info on these engines or trucks or had good or bad expieriences with them? Thanks. K-MAN. :thanku:

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
It will pull like nobodys business....and get really really poor fuel economy loaded or unloaded.

As for speed, they really were not known as fast high revving engines, more or less lugging engines. Think of it as a really smooth quiet diesel with spark plugs.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Also, it'll pass anything on the road...but a gas station.

I dont see the quotes online for this exact combo...but as I recall the 460, 4X4, 5 speed...was like 9city 12hwy unloaded.

·
Super Moderator
31,968 Posts
Hmmm.... what can you do to add HP to a 460... well... you can do a LOT!!!! The Fi motor is pretty low RPM, but she is a puller!! Fuel usedge will be pretty high, loaded or unloaded... somettimes eaven better with a load... Mostly they will benafit with a better exoust. And not just slapping a cat back exoust on it... the big cork on the Fords are right out of the heads. The Ypipe is pretty bad for flow, and thats where I would start first. Free up the exoust and you have a platform to build on.. then you slap in a 521 stroker kit..... :D :D :D

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
There is also alot of power held up in the factory conservative tune, a retune would net considerable gains.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a 89 f-250 4x2 460 (the first of the efi 460) a c6 trans and 4.10 gears. It had a ton of power, ould tow anything you hooked to it, and was decently fast. I would get 11 mpg city and hwy (mainly because of no overdrive).

·
Registered
138 Posts
On msn it says 245 hp @ 4000 rpm, and 400 ft lbs of torque at 2200 rpm, my buddy had one and they pull really well, they are pretty reliable too. I have a 97 with a 351 and it only gets 12 to 15 mpg and the 15 is very rare.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
a 460 ..... yea it will scream

I got it in the motorhome with the Gale Banks Power Pack, its good for another 85 HP and 118 FT LB's giving you a total of 330 HP and 518 FT LBS Can climb a good grade at 65MPH towing 4800lbs, thats a grand total of about 25000 LBS, do 75 all day long on the interstate and still have power left

So thats a big YES from me, I think the 460 beats the triton engines all day long. It will pull anything you want it to, and they make a Banks system for the trucks too

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh i see. Vary great comments and ideas. I will look into the exhaust setup and see what i can do. The banks system looks like a must, i see them on ebay but boy you pay for them! 1200 bucks for a gain of 24%!!! I guess the best way to know for sure is just to drive it haha thanks guys. Really helpful!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Im looking at a 96 GMC Sierra K3500 with the 454....same boat, tons of power, no fuel economy. I think it is 230hp and 410ft/lbs...sounds good on paper.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Ahh i see. Vary great comments and ideas. I will look into the exhaust setup and see what i can do. The banks system looks like a must, i see them on ebay but boy you pay for them! 1200 bucks for a gain of 24%!!! I guess the best way to know for sure is just to drive it haha thanks guys. Really helpful!
the banks was like day and night with the motorhome

on hill near me running 70, it would drop to 65-67 and go into 3rd, after the banks it would gain speed in O.D. (4)

If you are going to do alot of towing I would highly recomend it, everthing from the air intake to the exhaust is custom tuned not just a generic bolt on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts