My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
I saw one on craigslist a while back. They look fairly well built. It seems the transmissions can give a little trouble for some people. They don't have reverse, which doesn't work for me. They seem well priced and better built than the 33" craftsman or troybuilt walk behinds.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I had one. Built like a TANK. Big steel gears for the tranny. Its a belt drive and now I believe they are 13 Hp as opposed to mine (10.5). Cuts very nice, handles very well. Its not the best for hills, but as long as its been maintained and even if it hasn't been all that well...they are pretty hard to kill. Just make sure the tranny has oil (see through sight in the back of the tranny should be half full) and make sure that your main drive belt is from Sutech not an OTS brand. It'll soon slip and you'll wish you'd replaced it with the Manf. Brand.

Other than that they are light from a commercial (285lbs or so) but no reverse but you can pull them back fairly easy by releasing one drive lever. 3 speed forward, 1-2 cut great-be prepared to sprint in 3...use this to get it to where you start cutting.

I had mine rigged with 3 gator mulching blades and it did an awesome job. Never clogged, bogged or stalled.

That's my report.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Troy Bilt he's got now has to be a total worse POS* than a Sutech!!:D He's not looking for "commercial" use, just doing less than 1/4 acre but wanting to "get done quick".:) He looked at JD L's and figured this would fit in his shed where the rider won't. (He reallyreallyreally wants a rider but can't seem to justify it for "this little amount of lawn".... I told him to check out my GX maintained lawn's square footage and think again!:ROF:D:D:D

*I've never seen a flimser drive belt on a mower in my life... but I ain't seen 'em all yet.:) What were they thinking with that little rubber band running around down there in the dirt... At least Snapper uses a regular profile V-belt and it stands up. AND, according to Lowe's, it has a "special order" air filter for the Briggs which they don't keep in stock.(I didn't really buy that but the "Sales Assistant Representative" assured us it's true.:D)

THANX ALL! And as of this report to my Bud, the jury's still out.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The Troy Bilt he's got now has to be a total worse POS* than a Sutech!!:D He's not looking for "commercial" use, just doing less than 1/4 acre but wanting to "get done quick".:) He looked at JD L's and figured this would fit in his shed where the rider won't. (He reallyreallyreally wants a rider but can't seem to justify it for "this little amount of lawn".... I told him to check out my GX maintained lawn's square footage and think again!:ROF:D:D:D

*I've never seen a flimser drive belt on a mower in my life... but I ain't seen 'em all yet.:) What were they thinking with that little rubber band running around down there in the dirt... At least Snapper uses a regular profile V-belt and it stands up. AND, according to Lowe's, it has a "special order" air filter for the Briggs which they don't keep in stock.(I didn't really buy that but the "Sales Assistant Representative" assured us it's true.:D)

THANX ALL! And as of this report to my Bud, the jury's still out.
I didn't think he was using it for commercial use-private use correct. I used mine for that and maintained it. NO PROBLEMS at all except the previous owner cheaped on the drive belt. Other than that-there really was nothing to break. BIG pulley spindles, that have zerk fittings and its fairly easily adjusted. Is he buying a new or used?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I don't think they would be very goob for 2 reasons
1 Handle bars
2 no seat.
:sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think they would be very goob for 2 reasons
1 Handle bars
2 no seat.
:sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh
EXACTLY my criteria for anthing in the "mowing" catagory!:sidelaugh

Is he buying a new or used?
It would be a brand new shiny one right out of the JD dealer where I get all my stuff. I didn't hear back today yet I guess he's still ruminatin' on it...:)

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SAD UPDATE (with another SEARS SUCKS ending)!:ROF:sidelaugh

When "stuff" happens, my buddy and I are pretty much interchangeable... we always get the busted, bent one, one with parts missing, wrong packaging... So both of us together went to Sears to look at a rear drive Craftsman walker that he had seen on Sears' website. (Shed door is too small for the wide cut mower.) He even had the number memorized (something I would NEVER attempt!:ROF)!

So there in "Toyland" at 8PM he hails a salesmanperson and asks if he's got this number mower. "Ohhhh, I do I do, yessss yes I have one and I'll be with you in just a minute when I finish with that other customer!" and he saunters off to complete a "sale"... Hydro, filled with dread, heads to the power tool department to kill time while Buddy shuffles his impatient feet while feeling up some garden tractors.

After about ½ an hour the salesmanperson comes back as I am returning empty handed from power tool department and Buddy asks about this mower that he wants to see and gives him the number again. "Ohhhh... uhhhh... I don't have one assembled here on the floor Sir, but I can give you one right in the box!" Things are looking up! "BUT, it's in the 'warehouse' and they closed at 7.... But they open bright and early at 11 AM tomorrow and you can pick it right up..."

Yes ladies and gentlemen, SEARS strikes a new low once again with their new "You Can Buy It But You Can't Have It" policy! I'm glad my Bud's B/P pills are working right 'cause he reeeaaally needed 'em tonight! I told the salesmanperson calmly and politely that he just ended MY long appliance buying relationship with SEARS right then and there and, "It's a good thing I ain't here at this hour to buy a dishwasher... etc."

To sum up rant: Over at the Sears in the Po'town Galleria, there's a "Twilight Zone" time warp of 2½ hours in the evening and 2 hours in the morning where all warehouse products hover in limbo... GREAT IDEA SEARS! Management should be right proud of yet another money saving idea for the company AND I congratulate them on the collosal gall they expect their "customers" to endure.

I can't wait to see what happens next, 'cause the grass is growing real fast around here and the sun is due out tomorrow....:D

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
I'm tellin ya Hydro, just pick a lawnboy off outta the side of the street and fix it up, at the very least it'll save you a trip to Snears, err I mean Sears:ROF

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm tellin ya Hydro, just pick a lawnboy off outta the side of the street and fix it up...
I don't get get near enough seat time in them "automobiles" to do any useful "treasure hunting"... but if'n I sees one it's going home with me... UNLESS of course I'm riding in my buddy's Chrysler NY'er or one of his Vettes (silly cars!)... For some dang reason, he's not interested in roadside investigations while driving anymore since he gave up that wacky 5 cylinder gas guzzling pickup.:ROF

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
Harold, Sears purposely gives you those 2.5 hrs so you have time to re-consider buying the total JUNK that Sears sells.....

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
go look at the exmark metro 26 mower. its way better quality and 26 wide and would fit his shed and its true comm quality and you get exmark dealer support. the sutecth stealth is a total joke in the comm lawn biz -as is the troybuilt. you get what you pay for . no matter if using comm or not-a lousey desighned mower isnt worth the savings you get up front and when it breaks down -where to get parts/service

1 - 16 of 16 Posts