My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Being the Lawnboy freak that I am, I haven't wandered out of the Walk-Behind Mower forum much... but I see some interesting car conversations here.

Anyway, just wanted to share a few pictures of my project 1995 Caprice Wagon. It's a completely rust-free former soccer-mom car that I picked up a few years ago in Raleigh. I converted it to a T56 six-speed transmission, which makes it a real blast to drive! I posted some of these pictures in a conversation on the Walk-Behind forum, but I thought I'd stick some over here as well...

Below is a re-post showing the transformation:

Anyway, this conversion was a challenge. The first problem was getting a clutch pedal mounted. Below is a picture of a special adaptor that mates the Camaro/Firebird pedals to the caprice firewall, along with the installed pedals:

Then I had to select a console. I decided to find a second passenger seat and install it in the driver's position. Had to switch the recline switch over to the left side. Found a console from a 2000 Blazer, and stitched up a "corinthian leather" shift boot by hand. Came out okay:

Then of course there were a million details, like getting the ECM program right, eliminating the factory automatic shift lever (I used a steering column out of a '96 Impala SS, which was a floor-shift car), installing a thumb switch ignition on the column to make turning the key off by accident less likely. A switch from a Corvette worked perfectly. Oh, and then I had to remove the "PRNDL" display on the dash. Yeah, a bunch of details:

Anyway... a bunch of work. But I like the end result: The best car GM never built! :fing32:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,401 Posts
Thasts very cool,and a LOT of work and dedication went into making that 6 speed fit and work,I bet!...I wish they offered manual tranny's in more cars now,but I suppose the cost to do so would be not feasable,seeing few would buy one probably..I bet the wagon scoots a lot better with a 6 speed than it did with an automatic..and you'll never worry about an automatic slipping or not shifting right now..

I spy a 1963 or so Lincoln in the background too!--we had many like hat at the junkyard I worked at,in fact there was a light yellow one just like that there,had a 462 V8 and I was surprised to learn they were unibody construction,I always thought Lincolns had frames!..some of he newer ones with 460's had a weird power steering pump made into the engine,in the tmin cover too,I saw hydraulic hoses coming out of one motor there and said "what the H??"..followed them to the steering box!..there were some models that had hydraulic windsheild wipers too!...another weird thing on those cars was the druveshaft yoke on some C-6 trannys--they had THREE big coarse spiral splines on the tailshaft and yoke,not your usual straight fine splines!..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thasts very cool,and a LOT of work and dedication went into making that 6 speed fit and work,I bet!...I wish they offered manual tranny's in more cars now,but I suppose the cost to do so would be not feasable,seeing few would buy one probably..I bet the wagon scoots a lot better with a 6 speed than it did with an automatic..and you'll never worry about an automatic slipping or not shifting right now..
It is a lot quicker. Part of that is because I needed to install 4.10 gears to make it work well with the 6-speed. :drunkie:

Still, even with 270 horsepower and 330 ft-lbs of torque, the car isn't what I'd call "fast" by any means. With 4,600 lbs to get moving, this car can use all the power it can get!

I spy a 1963 or so Lincoln in the background too!--we had many like hat at the junkyard I worked at,in fact there was a light yellow one just like that there,had a 462 V8 and I was surprised to learn they were unibody construction,I always thought Lincolns had frames!..some of he newer ones with 460's had a weird power steering pump made into the engine,in the tmin cover too,I saw hydraulic hoses coming out of one motor there and said "what the H??"..followed them to the steering box!..there were some models that had hydraulic windsheild wipers too!...another weird thing on those cars was the druveshaft yoke on some C-6 trannys--they had THREE big coarse spiral splines on the tailshaft and yoke,not your usual straight fine splines!..
Yes, I stopped in breifly at a car show and there were some cool old cars there, that one just happened to be cruising in when I snapped the picture of my car. Those old Lincolns really were bizarre. Very cool cars, though.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
So much work! The easy way would have been a manual valve body, 10" converter etc.. Lots of work went into that swap.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So much work! The easy way would have been a manual valve body, 10" converter etc.. Lots of work went into that swap.
Yes, I've driven a well implemented automatic B-body a few times, and they are very nice, especially with a good lock-up converter... but in my opinion you just can't beat the control and fun factor that comes from a clutch pedal.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Looks great man, must be a blast to drive.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a 1981 Bonneville and a 1985 Caprice.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ferrstein-
Looks great! Lots of work, but very original. I bet the "fun factor" is high.

Tractor-Holic-
I agree that there aren't enough manual trannies out there. My 2005 Acura TL has a 6 speed, one of the main reasons I bought it. From what I've read, only 2% of the TL's are manual. Apparently many companies can't justify the R&D and production costs for such a small market share.

2008 Impala:
I had a dark blue 1981 Bonneville Brougham, 2-door. That thing was a tank, and only had a 6 cylinder. I loved that car. Wish I still had it! I wanna see pics of yours!

·
Registered
682 Posts
My Bonneville has the Olds 307. 4-door. The paint isnt perfect but I was told it is good enough that for originality to leave it alone. The 1985 does have near perfect paint.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My first car is an 80 Caprice 2dr couple. In high school my dad and I swapped out the 267/th350 to a 355/th400 and had dual exhaust installed. A set of mags and it was a clean looking car. Then it got parked to get paint, which didn't happen. So it still sits waiting in line for its turn to be brought back. I too would like a 5 or 6 speed in this thing.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I will try to get some pictures as soon as is feasable.

·
dirtgeezer
1,441 Posts
Hello! Being the Lawnboy freak that I am, I haven't wandered out of the Walk-Behind Mower forum much... but I see some interesting car conversations here.

Anyway, just wanted to share a few pictures of my project 1995 Caprice Wagon. It's a completely rust-free former soccer-mom car that I picked up a few years ago in Raleigh. I converted it to a T56 six-speed transmission, which makes it a real blast to drive! I posted some of these pictures in a conversation on the Walk-Behind forum, but I thought I'd stick some over here as well...

Below is a re-post showing the transformation:

Anyway, this conversion was a challenge. The first problem was getting a clutch pedal mounted. Below is a picture of a special adaptor that mates the Camaro/Firebird pedals to the caprice firewall, along with the installed pedals:

Then I had to select a console. I decided to find a second passenger seat and install it in the driver's position. Had to switch the recline switch over to the left side. Found a console from a 2000 Blazer, and stitched up a "corinthian leather" shift boot by hand. Came out okay:

Then of course there were a million details, like getting the ECM program right, eliminating the factory automatic shift lever (I used a steering column out of a '96 Impala SS, which was a floor-shift car), installing a thumb switch ignition on the column to make turning the key off by accident less likely. A switch from a Corvette worked perfectly. Oh, and then I had to remove the "PRNDL" display on the dash. Yeah, a bunch of details:

Anyway... a bunch of work. But I like the end result: The best car GM never built! :fing32:
We had a Buick Roadmaster and the transmission or engine (350)is the last thing that I would have ever wanted to change............. The plastic window rollers were a PINTA

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
sorry; I have a B body AND an F body--- MOPARS!!!!! a 78 Fury 2 door and an 80 Volare. Fury is a 318, 46K act. miles (I am 2nd owner) Volare is my resto mod project; will get a 318 magnum and a 5 speed in place of its orig Slant Six! (which BTW is supposed to be retro fitted into an Oliver tractor)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't checked this section in a while... nice to see some Caprice fans here!

okieduc104, I hear ya on those window rollers. Since I have a fleet of four of these things, I've gotten very good at it... and I usually don't even slice up my hand in the process! :banghead3

KraftMan, check out the forums at http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/ That is THE blace to talk about Impalas. Most folks that have done the LT4 conversions feel that these cars are too heavy for that higher-RPM engine. Most of the low 13 second cars on there are using a nice exhaust and intake, along with some head and cam work. Nothing too radical, but they will run pretty well with some coaxing...

Thanks again for the complements, guys! Here are some pictures of my new shoes... some Impala SS wheels and tires. The tires are a little shorter than I would have originally chosen, but I got a good deal on them so I figure I'll run 'em 'till they wear out. Clearance in the back by the wheel skirts is very tight as you can see in the pics below. No rubbing, though... so that's good!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, but currently own none.
previously owned:
1962 Pontiac Grand Prix black on black(2008)
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 421 black on red (1979-1980)
1965 Pontiac Bonneville (parts car) 1985?
1966 Pontiac Catalina (parts car) 1986?
1966 Chevrolet Caprice 2 door hardtop, Madeira Maroon, black vinyl top, black cloth and vinyl interior, bench and headrests, factory 427 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi F-41 suspension, factory tach (1978-1983 and 1986)

My Dad:
1960 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible, 389 tri-power, 4 speed, posi, 8 lug aluminum wheels, leather interior, manual steering and brakes (about 1962)
1962 Pontiac Grand Prix, 389-4BBL, 4 speed, posi, 8 lug aluminum wheels (about 1963 to 1970)
1969 Impala Custom 307
1962 Pontiac Catalina station wagon
1967 Pontiac Catalina station wagon

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...previously owned:
...1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 421 black on red...
I bet that thing moved. I briefly drove a Catalina, I think it was a 1966, with the 421 engine. That thing was a rocket ship! IIRC, it had a Powerglide transmission in it... unless I was too scared to notice the extra shift! Awesome car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts