My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think in a year I am going to look at picking up a 748 if I don't buy a brand new comparable diesel model. What are your thoughts on this machine? How thick is the frame on it? It looks like a beast and must be if you can get 7 Iron decks on them. What is the turning radius like, is it super easy on fuel, anyone have a Cab on one?

And best of all, post photos if you got em!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I think in a year I am going to look at picking up a 748 ......... It looks like a beast

And best of all, post photos if you got em!
I have one, an '08 SE model bought last October. In less than 10 months, I've put 210 hours on mine. I love it. Most of the use is for mowing; I have 3 acres at my house, another 1-1/2 next door at my rental house, and I help an elderly neighbor mow about two more acres, plus I mow a couple of large (2 acres+) lawns for extra cash. I have the 54C deck, wish I had the 60" 7-iron. Don't get me wrong, the 54c is a very nice deck, I just want one wider. The tractor turns extremely tight for one its size, very maneuverable and agile. The turning radius increases just slightly when in 4WD, and the outside front tire will "scrub" the grass a bit at full lock when in 4WD. The '08 model is part-time 4WD, has a mechanical front axle with an engagement lever on the right fender next to the toolbox. The '09 is full-time 4WD, like the X729/749, with 2 hydraulic motors that turn the front wheels. Personally, I like the part-time fine.

I also have the Power Flow and MC19 cart, mainly for getting up leaves in the fall. I till with a 50" tiller (I added the rear PTO and 3-point lift) and the tractor will also easily pull a 60" box blade.

The diesel sips fuel. I can mow my lawn, the rental lawn, next door neighbor's field on less than 3/4 tank (tank = 6.5 gal). It is smooth running and has been absolutely trouble-free, not a single glitch, since I bought it (tractor).

I did have a bearing go bad on the gearbox for the 54C deck after 170 hours, but the dealer took a new gearbox off one of his inventory decks and traded it out, without a word, when he couldn't get one immediately through JD Parts.

The frame is as solid as you could imagine for a much larger tractor. I get just a tad of twist if I get the front axle past its limit and have only two wheels (opposite corners) on the ground, but my old Yanmar did the same thing. The hood just pops up a tiny bit (maybe 1/2") at the rear when this happens.

I really can't say enough good things about this machine. I realize that it is very close to the 2305 CUT, and the prices can overlap between the two if you get the 3-pt hitch and rear pto on the 748 (both are standard on the 2305) I haven't used a 2305 for comparison, but would like to see what it can do that mine can't. It is about 350 pounds heavier, and has a 2-range tranny where the 748 is a single range.

If I had it to do all over, I might have gone with the 2305, but not really sure, but I would have gone with a larger deck. I think the decision point on these two models really depends on how much mowing you do compared to other stuff. My next big purchase on mine, once its paid for, is a FEL.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,337 Posts
The frame is a heavy duty welded steel C channel frame. Not sure on the thickness to be exact but it thicker than the current X500 series frame which is 3mm. The turning radius on the 2009 models is 25inches because it has full time four wheel drive. It has two wheel motors up front that are Hydraulicly driven from the rear transmission. The 2008 and prior had a selectable 2WD to 4WD 33inch turning radius in 2WD mode and a 48.5 inch in 4WD and it was shaft driven off the Rear transmission. I don't own one But own a older version of the X720 which is a X485 Both are electronic fuel injection and are 2WD. The X720 has a 27hp engine and the X485 has a 25Hp engine and cannot take the 60inch 7iron deck like the X720. I don't have a R.O.P.S. Cab for mine. But have a weather enclosure. Which keeps the wind and snow off me and I take if off every spring and Put it back on in late Fall. If I were to Buy a R.O.P.S. Cab it would have to be the Soft sided R.O.P.S. Cab which is compatiable with the 45 loader. The Hard side R.O.P.S. Cab is not compatiable with the 45loader. On My X485 I have a 48inch deck,45loader,42inch Hydraulic tiller which is driven by the Mid PTO,54inch dozer blade with quick hitch and Hydrualic angle,Limited Cat 1 3point hitch, 540RPM Rear PTO and a click and Go Hitch as well as a Click and go weight bracket and I also have a Cat 1 3point ballest Box. My machine is a Swiss Army knife of the Yard. I have never had to use the Diff/lock with loader work. But have had to use it once when dozing some gravel with the front Blade. I have a few hills on my 5.5 acres and don't even need the diff/lock for them. Here are the specs for the 2009 X748 http://www.deere.com/specsapp/CustomerSpecificationServlet?sbu=CCE&pciModel=X748AM&displayModelName=X748 Ultimate™ Tractor&tM=HO&pNbr=SKU21823 :thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
16,337 Posts
Khodges you sure type faster than me. :thThumbsU

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
....... older version of the X720 which is a X485 Both are electronic fuel injection and are 2WD. The X720 has a 27hp engine and the X485 has a 25Hp engine. My machine is a Swiss Army knife of the Yard.
The diesel is 24hp, but the torque outstrips the gas engines. The F.I. on the diesel is mechanical, with an electric shutoff.

Sergeant, your description (Swiss Army Knife) is perfect.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,337 Posts
So do I. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi, Seargent, don't mean to hijack the thread, but notice that you have both a 54in angling front blade and also a 45 loader. Just wondered which you use mostly for snow removal and why? I just bought a used X585 and have both the 45 loader and the front angling blade, but haven't gone through a winter yet. I'm going to have to lengthen the hydraulic hoses on the blade to be able to use in on the X585.

·
Super Moderator
16,337 Posts
I use the Blade in the winter. I have used a loader in the past for snow removal. But the blade works alot better. since you can angle it Since I have second tractor with a loader when the snow drifts on either side of the drive way get to high in certain spot's I will use the loader on MY White GT2055 to move the pile's futher back. Eventually when I get around to it I will buy a used 46inch single stage snow blower for it. since the 46inch is no longer made. Though I have been telling that to myself for the last 6 years. Since I bought a 1970 Cub Cadet 106 with a 36inch single stage blower in 2003. I just can't justifie a 47inch two stage. Plus the 47inch takes up alot of storage room. Oh BTW wproct I use 6suitcase weight on the back click and go weight bracket and even with my 2wd tractor it dose a great job pushing snow and I have never had to use the Diff/lock on it for pushing snow. :thThumbsU

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Khodges and Sergeant,

Thanks for the very in depth responses. I think I may have to stick with finding a clean one used. I don't like the idea of the "full time" 4WD on the 09 models via hydro wheel motor. I would much rather have a shaft drive into a real iron axle. I assume your front axles are cast iron and similar in design to the bigger SCUT's and CUT's just sized for the frame of the machine?

I assumed the diesel would be easy on fuel. My 3320 could go months on a tank of fuel if I was just using it to mow my 2.75, only if I was out doing backhoe or loader work would I use any fuel. The diesels are so miserly and so unstoppable in the torque department. I also had a Kaw V twin LQ in my 425 and it was a great gas engine, I just think if I am going to buy another tractor next year it's going to be exactly what I want.

I'm not sure if I want the 60" 7-Iron or the 54C. I had the 60" 7 Iron on my 3320 and it was a friggen beast, I had a **** of a time moving it around when it was off the machine, not that the 54c is much lighter :)

I'm thinking whatever I do decide on I will likely put a heated cab on and a snow blower for winter.

I saw a super clean diesel 08 on ebay for $9995.00 it had 230 some odd hours on it.. If only I had the cash right now :) I am saving up so whatever I do next year (even if it's new) I hope to pay it all in cash or close to all.

·
Super Moderator
16,337 Posts

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sergeant,

That link is SO bookmarked! Thanks :)

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I'm not sure if I want the 60" 7-Iron or the 54C. I had the 60" 7 Iron on my 3320 and it was a friggen beast, I had a **** of a time moving it around when it was off the machine, not that the 54c is much lighter :)

The 7-iron is by far the heaviest of all the decks. It weighs over 100 lb more than the 54C deck. It is also deeper than either the 54 or 62C decks, and will handle heavier grass better. You still can't go wrong with either of the "yellow" decks. I'd think you should be able to find an '06-'08 model for $9000-$9500 with a couple hundred hours. I gave about $13 for mine, with the PowerFlow and cart.

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it will be easier to find one with the yellow decks, the surcharge to upgrade to the 7-Iron is too high of a price for a lot of people, MSRP for the 7-Iron on my 3320 was $3200!

$9 to $9500 sounds about right. I would rather have "new" but I don't like what they did with the new awd system. I like the option of when I need 4WD.

I also think 54" is about perfect for me. Still leaves me enough room to get in the tighter spots, my 7-Iron was over kill for the areas I need to get in and around. My ******** with the 54 is perfect width wise, I can mow in between the telephone pole and guide wire on my front yard (slope) 60+ inch decks don't clear.

·
Super Moderator
16,337 Posts
06 model X700 series cannot take the 7iron deck.

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Serg,

That's not a problem. I don't know if I will go as old as 06 anyway. Probably 08, unless at the time I am ready all I can find is a low hour 06.

Do these things have suspended seats like my 3320 had? Can the seat off an SE be added? And were HDAP's optional?

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
Hi, Seargent, don't mean to hijack the thread, but notice that you have both a 54in angling front blade and also a 45 loader. Just wondered which you use mostly for snow removal and why? I just bought a used X585 and have both the 45 loader and the front angling blade, but haven't gone through a winter yet. I'm going to have to lengthen the hydraulic hoses on the blade to be able to use in on the X585.
I was wondering which one to use this winter myself. The blade does fine to remove the snow as long as it does not need to be stacked. We got hit pretty hard last winter and I found myself boxed in. I was plowing new snow against mounds of older frozen and packed down snow. At one point I borrowed a friends F-350 to push the old snow further to make room for new snow.

I am use to plowing snow with a 44 loader. It takes longer with the loader, but it is a lot of fun cleaning up the snow with one. The loader is harder on the driveway too. It will scratch the heck out of driveway sealcoat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was wondering which one to use this winter myself. The blade does fine to remove the snow as long as it does not need to be stacked. We got hit pretty hard last winter and I found myself boxed in. I was plowing new snow against mounds of older frozen and packed down snow. At one point I borrowed a friends F-350 to push the old snow further to make room for new snow.

I am use to plowing snow with a 44 loader. It takes longer with the loader, but it is a lot of fun cleaning up the snow with one. The loader is harder on the driveway too. It will scratch the heck out of driveway sealcoat.
I understand. For 12 years I have been using my 425 with only the angling blade, and it has served me very well. However, snowfall for the last 3 years has been very heavy, and I get alot of drifting right up next to my garage door for 30 feet or more away from it, and it is very difficult to work the snow away from the garage, then repeated snows just get me buried.

I feel that using my loader will be slower, but at least I will be able to hande the drifts. I guess it will just be a learning experience and I will just have to see how it goes. Oh well, it's kind of fun until the wind really kicks up and the wind chill gets unbearable.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
You will be suprised at how capable a loader is for cleaning snow. It just takes longer to clean up the trailers left behind.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
This was taken early on. It was the first really big storm of 2009.

We then had a thaw, followed by more back to back storms. The snow turned to walls of ice. I had to push the remaining snows all the way down the driveway, and across the street.

This resulted in very large snow trailers running across the street. The 54" blade was no match for this.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts