My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of my Toro 266-H hoods are cracked. Its very common for them to crack. There is even a guy on ebay who sells replacement hoods for them that he makes out of fiberglass. I also have the hood and rear fender from a Scotts 4ws I took apart. What kind of glue do you use? How well has it worked?

·
Super Moderator
29,552 Posts
i used JB wled on my L130's hood. drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading, then mash it in along the whol length of the crack. i also jbwelded a strip of flat metal along the length of the crack. that was 6 years ago and it is holding up fine, though honestly the machine has not been used in over a year.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the tractor isn't a 100pt show tractor go to the auto parts store and get a
fiberglass repair kit, and some bondo, and follow the instructions on the box.
I've used this on snowmobile hoods that have cracked and it has worked real good. some painting will be needed but it does a beautiful job.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone tried any "Shoe Glue"? I was thinking of using a hardware store glue or even a hobby glue.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Has anyone tried any "Shoe Glue"? I was thinking of using a hardware store glue or even a hobby glue.
Well go for it and let us know how it worked out. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would still drill a hole to stop the crack from spreading.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I still have the hood and rear fenders off of the dismantled Scotts 4 wheel steer. Someone breaking wind could crack one of them, they are so brittle. If that works I'll give the hoods from both Toro 266-H tractors a try.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Silicone glues (Shoe Goo, Shoe Glue, "shoe repair" glues) are designed to be flexible when cured so no matter the application to a plastic hood, etc., it's pretty poor application in flexing situations. Here IS the answer to any difficult to glue materials and dissimilar material gluing...

http://www.tech-bond.net/homepage.html

It ain't cheap so once again if $ is your bottom line... As with all adhesives following the manufacturer's prep instructions is absoutely key. If I were doing my JD magic Zenoy plastic hood, I'd make as big a backing plate as the area would allow out of substantial sheet metal precurved and contoured to the crack area.

Now that I found the Tech Bond website again I'm going back to see if they have anything that will repair a cracked yellow cheap-o always garaged plastic tractor seat.:D

EDIT: If they can handle these problems, most of our's would be child's play for 'em!:D
http://www.tech-bond.net/FuneralHomeSolutions.html

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Silicone glues (Shoe Goo, Shoe Glue, "shoe repair" glues) are designed to be flexible when cured so no matter the application to a plastic hood, etc., it's pretty poor application in flexing situations. Here IS the answer to any difficult to glue materials and dissimilar material gluing...

http://www.tech-bond.net/homepage.html

It ain't cheap so once again if $ is your bottom line... As with all adhesives following the manufacturer's prep instructions is absoutely key. If I were doing my JD magic Zenoy plastic hood, I'd make as big a backing plate as the area would allow out of substantial sheet metal precurved and contoured to the crack area.

Now that I found the Tech Bond website again I'm going back to see if they have anything that will repair a cracked yellow cheap-o always garaged plastic tractor seat.:D

EDIT: If they can handle these problems, most of our's would be child's play for 'em!:D
http://www.tech-bond.net/FuneralHomeSolutions.html
??????????????

"A case came in with a lot of leakage. A plastic suit was not sufficient ... It was like a plastic shield had been placed over the skin. There wasn't any leakage at all." You can use with confidence even when there is a tissue donation.
Joseph Gaines
Simpson Family Funeral Home

:dunno:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
"A case came in with a lot of leakage. A plastic suit was not sufficient ... It was like a plastic shield had been placed over the skin. There wasn't any leakage at all." You can use with confidence even when there is a tissue donation.
Joseph Gaines
Simpson Family Funeral Home
Just when I think I got troubles with a cracked seat... After that revelation, now I'm counting my blessings!:ROF

·
Registered
49 Posts
my JD hood cracked 2 years ago...used a two part epoxy i found at an auto parts store...used a piece of screen along with the epoxy ...did the repair under the hood..can't really tell where the crack is and its been holding up great so far...the epoxy does have some "flex" to it so i think it should be ok for many years

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I say it all the time--I knew we were going downhill when they started putting plastic dashs in trucks instead of metal ones.Now we must all live with their "space age" plastic world.Sorry--got off point didn't I ?:trink40:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts