My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how close we are to getting vaccinated against COVID.

One of many sisters in law got her first shot this week. She said her arm was sore for a day, then it got better.

I can get a first dose this week but I would have to work at a vaccination center for a day checking people in. My wife wants to go but another SIL, one who is a front line worker, survived COVID but has reduced lung capacity says No-No-No. Not sure it's worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Just wondering how close we are to getting vaccinated against COVID.

One of many sisters in law got her first shot this week. She said her arm was sore for a day, then it got better.

I can get a first dose this week but I would have to work at a vaccination center for a day checking people in. My wife wants to go but another SIL, one who is a front line worker, survived COVID but has reduced lung capacity says No-No-No. Not sure it's worth the risk.
Could you explain why you are being singled out to work in order to get a vaccine dose?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
The county I live in will start giving the vacanations Monday 1-11 to people over 65. We had to call and make an appointment last week and are sceduled for Thursday 1-14. I generally don't trust medicine, I think it usually does what it's supposed to do and other things you don't want it to do. That said I'm going to take it because I hope it will get the Virus under control. Currently I have 2 granddaughters under quarantine because their teacher tested positive and a mother in the nursing home that allows no visiters because of the virus.
Cannon

·
MTF Member
699 Posts
My niece works in a Dentist office had it . Says its like any shot you have over your lifetime..

fear-of-needles-aichmophobia.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Unless the vaccine becomes mandatory, I will not be getting this.
Spoken with friends & neighbors and none of them have expressed any inclination to get it either. Since March of 2020, less than 1% of the people in my county may have died from this virus.

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Could you explain why you are being singled out to work in order to get a vaccine dose?
Sure. It's a program my wife is involved with (retired military medical) and they needed volunteers to do admin stuff like check in, saving those with medical experience to give the shots. I guess they want to protect the volunteers as well as the patients. Of course the rub is you wouldn't be protected until a month after volunteering, so I'm a little worried that they haven't thought this thing through.

Flaken, it is wonderful that you live in a place so unaffected by the virus. Here in the North East the virus is everywhere, and I think most people know someone who has died or been seriously affected by the pandemic. It is still getting worse. This is trivial, but to get a pizza in my town the wait is over two hours because all the pizza places in the next town over are closed due to Covid outbreaks. Going to the grocery store requires a risk/reward assessment.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Super Moderator
7,941 Posts
Woman next door to me is 94...her oldest son was 64...diagnosed right before Christmas...he was buried yesterday..the UK strain has presented itself in the town where I live...this is as real as it gets...and it does not look like the vaccine will be available for quite a while here..I will be getting it right away...the reported results make worrying about ill results seem pretty much a non issue

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since March of 2020, less than 1% of the people in my county may have died from this virus.
Not trying to be snarky, but doesn't one out of one hundred people dying sound like a lot?

Reactions: JZ75 and MARK (LI)

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Thank you ggsteve!
Almost nothing like that here in northern Florida. No mask mandates, stores are open, businesses & factories open. Restaurants open as far as I know, just never go to them.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Not trying to be snarky, but doesn't one out of one hundred people dying sound like a lot?
No, it doesn't. Natural cycle of life: People are born and people die.
Not exactly sure where this idea of living forever came from, but it just doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
What I do know about it as the case numbers have been inflated around here. The hospital gets payed for each case from the government.
They test every death and the test gives false positives. So what is the real number of deaths. Three doctors left the local hospital because
they would not put down covid's when they died from other reasons. A friend of mine had it, and had a rough time with it but is getting better now.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,024 Posts
I don't know anyone who has already had the shot. I will take it, but it won't be available around here for my group for at least a couple months, probably longer. That's OK with me because it will take some time to see what other drawbacks may be involved and whether or not people who have taken the shots will stay protected for a reasonable amount of time. There are still many unknowns, and we will be wearing masks for most of the year anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Unless it is someone close to you, then it was definitely one too many if it was preventable!
Preventable is another of the actuarial science terms that have somehow come into the mainstream language. The question is how far you wish to take it. If someone close to you died from an automobile accident, would you sell your car and never get into another? Highly likely you would assume the risk and drive the car.

I have nothing against vaccines. Offhand I don't know how many diseases I've have had vaccinations for, some from childhood, some from the military and some from other. I don't get a flu shot each year simply because I never get the flu. My immune system is quite robust and I exercise it often.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My delivery route includes two hospitals around 14 medical clinics. When it is offered I will take the shot. Mom is 91 and my wife's health is bad enough already,and I guess I am old enough, it is my mind that thinks it is 21 instead on 65.

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This thread will get locked real soon....
Honest discussion about a sensitive subject with no animus. I think we're doing ok.

Reactions: schreib77 and BOSOX

·
Super Moderator
7,941 Posts
Preventable is another of the actuarial science terms that have somehow come into the mainstream language. The question is how far you wish to take it. If someone close to you died from an automobile accident, would you sell your car and never get into another? Highly likely you would assume the risk and drive the car.

I have nothing against vaccines. Offhand I don't know how many diseases I've have had vaccinations for, some from childhood, some from the military and some from other. I don't get a flu shot each year simply because I never get the flu. My immune system is quite robust and I exercise it often.
Preventable is another of the actuarial science terms that have somehow come into the mainstream language..
You are stating this as though it is fact...have you seen documentation of this?...or is it just your opinion?...Someone getting killed in a car crash is a poor comparison here......a car crash, whether preventable of not is something over which you have no control.....the possibility of contracting a life threatening illness which you can help avoid by getting vaccinated and wearing a mask is not comparable

·
Super Moderator
33,610 Posts
Simple things seem to have always worked, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Wearing a mask and getting vaccinated would fall under the "ounce of prevention" and shouldn't be out of anyone's thought process; we live in a society, not isolated on an island. Is it 100% effective, not likely, but if we can move that number from 1 in 100 to 1 in 1000 maybe worth the little bit of effort it takes!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.