My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead3 :crybaby: Ok iI guess I'm not the machanic I thought I was.(but I'm really a machinist so that's ok)I had it in my head that the K-series fired on every other rev.sence it runs the points off the cam.
So I bought a ENM Tach/Hr meter # LCD8010 for $25.But it doesn't read right.It is for everother rev firing.I'm guessing that the K-series fires different to that?
I know Tiny Tach has one just for K-series (I guess that should have been a hint:banghead3 )but they are a few more $'s Has anyone been down this road?
I think this one might work on some of the antique tractors we pull and if that is the case it wasn't waisted money.:thanku:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Terry,

I believe you are correct but I'm not very familiar with the Kohlers. You should go to the "sharing small engine secrets" yahoo site or the Kohler site where there are a lot of engine experts who can answer this definitively.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:thanku: Thanks Bart,
This is one of those deals I was trying to save 10 bucks by going with the ENM when I know that TIny/Tach hadone for the K-Series Kohler.But I would like to know why lust because.:thanku:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Well, the Ks are four cycle, so they to 'fire' every other revolution. But, if it is a two cylinder K, like a K532, KT17 etc, the term 'fire' is very misleading. While the cylinder only makes power when the spark comes on the compression stroke, there is a 'wasted spark' on the exhaust stroke (true for Onans also) that screws up a normal 4 cycle spark sensing tach.

Is your question about a K single, or a K two cyl?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a single cyl. K301 12 HP
Tiny Tach said that the one for the K-series would work on other 4 stroke ,but for the K they have one just for them.
I thought it might have had to do with static or something.
I ask on the Kohler group and didn't get a answer as to why.I like to know how things work.
Thanks,

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did that and he said it must be the a tach for one firing ever time (mag)but wouldn't that make it read 1/2 not double?

I haven't had time to try it on anything else yet.I'll try it on my Dixon with a 14 HPcommand pro series.Or sence it works off of a plug wire if it is really for a true 4 stroke it shouldn't matter on cylinders so I'll try it on my DC Case.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did that and he said it must be the a tach for one firing ever time (mag)but wouldn't that make it read 1/2 not double?

I haven't had time to try it on anything else yet.I'll try it on my Dixon with a 14 HPcommand pro series.Or sence it works off of a plug wire if it is really for a true 4 stroke it shouldn't matter on cylinders so I'll try it on my DC Case.:thThumbsU
Interesting...????
If the K301 is a 1 cylinder and it takes 2 revolutions 720 deg. of the crank to make 1 cycle and the spark comes one every TDC.
Lowering the engine to an IDLE and reading the guage should tell you what you want to know.
A normal engine idles at about 6-700rpm if the guage reads 300rpm then it is 1/2 and if it reads 1200rpm then it is double.
Remember that the RPM is just that revolutions per. minuet.
the RPM is double the firing cycle.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up getting one from Tiny tach and it seems to work ok.However when you idle it back down the tach seems to say that it is running faster than it sounds.But at wide open it sound right.So I wonder if there is a static issue that after it has been running wide open it creates a static field.I was mainly after nit over winding it and the hr meter.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
The thing that ****** me off about Tiny Tach is the non-replaceable battery with a max life expectancy of a mere 5 years. If an hourmeter can be powered by the vehicle it's mounted in and a Sun or Stewart-Warner tach can be powered by the vehiclt it's mounted in, then I see no reason why a Tiny Tach cannot. Of course.......they get to sell more Tiny Tachs this way, I guess. I hate being bent over the chair and forced to drop my pants to my ankles and this is the very feeling that Tiny Tach gives me when I read their website.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I hear this alot.
I don't get it.
A four cycle engine fires the same, and has the same tach readings, whether it's a single cyl...or a 12 cylinder (well ok, that's not true....12 cyl Ferrari use two distributers), but 1 cyl, 4 cyl, 6 cyl....all use the #1 cylinder to measure revolutions.
So, it doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I hear this alot.
I don't get it.
A four cycle engine fires the same, and has the same tach readings, whether it's a single cyl...or a 12 cylinder (well ok, that's not true....12 cyl Ferrari use two distributers), but 1 cyl, 4 cyl, 6 cyl....all use the #1 cylinder to measure revolutions.
Actually no. Onan twins are just one example of a four stroke engine that fires both plugs simultaneously on every full revolution of the crank. That's because the 2 cylinders are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. The cylinders don't care if they see a spark at the end of the exhaust stroke.

I think that the Briggs opposed twins and Kohler's KT opposed twins were the same way. A distributor for a 2 cylinder engine would be a waste of money to put on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I hear this alot.
I don't get it.
Actually the tach measures the input from the coil. The tach has no idea where the #1 cylinder is...
If the coil fires each time a 1 cylinder engine reaches TDC then the Tach will read double.
Have you ever bought an aftermarket tach for an auto?
It has a knob or button to set it to 4-6-8 cylinder ..
I'm sure all of those have a #1 cylinder

·
Registered
195 Posts
:ditto:
Actually no. Onan twins are just one example of a four stroke engine that fires both plugs simultaneously on every full revolution of the crank. That's because the 2 cylinders are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. The cylinders don't care if they see a spark at the end of the exhaust stroke.

I think that the Briggs opposed twins and Kohler's KT opposed twins were the same way. A distributor for a 2 cylinder engine would be a waste of money to put on.
:ditto:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just did a quich look thru the Kohler service manual for the K Series engines and depending on the type of ignition system installed, there may be one spark for every two revolutions or one spark for every revolution. Tiny-Tach and ENM both make tachs for each type of ignition.:bananapow

1 - 20 of 23 Posts