My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy of mine has an 06 300c that just pooped out the transmission with 52k on the clock. His is the 5.7 with the 5 speed automatic and it had the ever more frequently occuring water filled transmission. Apparently it's a wide spread problem, A/C condenser drain dumps water over the fill tube which is not water proof and over time water seeps in, eventually destroying the transmission. Anyway the recommended fix is to move the drain line but now he needs a tranny. Does anyone know what specific transmission is in this car and where we can find a rebuild/assembly manual for it? It's the stupid one with no dipstick if that helps. The dealer wont warranty the problem and wants $4700 for a replacement. We're hoping there is a how to or at least an assembly guide out there to help rebuild the one that came out of it. I cant seem to find out which tranny it is so finding anything at all has been tough. If anyone has any tips or advice it would be a big help. Thanks yall.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
So a buddy of mine has an 06 300c that just pooped out the transmission with 52k on the clock. His is the 5.7 with the 5 speed automatic and it had the ever more frequently occuring water filled transmission. Apparently it's a wide spread problem, A/C condenser drain dumps water over the fill tube which is not water proof and over time water seeps in, eventually destroying the transmission. Anyway the recommended fix is to move the drain line but now he needs a tranny. Does anyone know what specific transmission is in this car and where we can find a rebuild/assembly manual for it? It's the stupid one with no dipstick if that helps. The dealer wont warranty the problem and wants $4700 for a replacement. We're hoping there is a how to or at least an assembly guide out there to help rebuild the one that came out of it. I cant seem to find out which tranny it is so finding anything at all has been tough. If anyone has any tips or advice it would be a big help. Thanks yall.
It is in fact a Mercedes trans . I am in the Automotive service/repair business , and will check in the morning to see if I can get you a better price for a rebuild . You can call me after 10:30 am if you like . 301.870.9888.

Mike

·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after some digging around it looks like its the W5A580 (NAG1) transmission. He ended up finding a used one for under a grand so it should be here Wednesday. Hopefully it doesnt have the same issues considering its out of the same car but it does come with a 3 year/36k warranty and apparently came out of a very low mileage car so I suppose thats a good thing. Anyway the old one is out so it's just a matter of waiting on the new one to show up.

Mike, he did say he wants to get the old one rebuilt to keep as a spare and it's looking like the rebuild kits arent insanely pricey. Considering its already out of the car do you think it would be worth it to have it gone through?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
As much as anyone being paid to go through it would like to have the money for doing it , if it were me I wouldn't tie up my money for something that will just sit around and do nothing . I would just put it in a corner out of the way and if the need should arise then get it rebuilt if and when needed .

Mike

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Just for the record the NAG1 (New Automatic Gearbox 1) or W5A580, is a bullet proof transmission, it's been used in everything from the Mercedes E Class to the AMG models. There was a recall on the possibility of water leaking into the transmission and there is a fix for it.. If there was a recall, shouldn't that be handled by the manufacturer, warranty or not?

Here is the Technical Service Bulletin.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_300C_Forums/TSB_2100306.pdf

·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just for the record the NAG1 (New Automatic Gearbox 1) or W5A580, is a bullet proof transmission, it's been used in everything from the Mercedes E Class to the AMG models. There was a recall on the possibility of water leaking into the transmission and there is a fix for it.. If there was a recall, shouldn't that be handled by the manufacturer, warranty or not?

Here is the Technical Service Bulletin.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_300C_Forums/TSB_2100306.pdf
You know, I thought the same thing but the dealership gave him a bunch of crap regarding the recall even though its painfully obvious that's what caused the transmission to fail. He got tired of calling around and jumping through hoops just to be told no so he ordered that used one. I thought they were obligated to at least take a peek at recalled things but for some reason they want nothing to do wth it.

Mike,
I was also thinking the same, I'll tell him to hang onto it though and should the need arise (we all know how used parts pan out sometimes) I'll send him your way. What part of MD are you in by the way? It's impossible to find a trustworthy shop around here.

·
6,553 Posts
It's a shame I could have put you in touch with someone at Chrysler who may have been able to get the ball rolling, but unfortunately some forum members on the forum he belonged to kept dogging him and he ultimately left. I was able to get him involved and get four new rims for a guy with a new SRT8 when the dealership screwed them up and wouldn't fix them.

I hope this incident doesn't scar him, because the 300 is a fine car.. Like anything else, early models had some bugs to work out. That's why I typically don't buy a first or second year of any "new" platform.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Just from reading through the tsb it sounds like this car may not have fit in the correct time frame??? The car is an '06 so late '05 build date at the earliest and the trannys affected were pre-early '05 build. A really early '06 car may have one of these trannys but odds aren't good.

·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just from reading through the tsb it sounds like this car may not have fit in the correct time frame??? The car is an '06 so late '05 build date at the earliest and the trannys affected were pre-early '05 build. A really early '06 car may have one of these trannys but odds aren't good.
The trans that came out of it falls under the recall according to the numbers on the case. Our local dealership does suck pretty bad though so I can only imagine that they just wanted him to go elsewhere. To late now I suppose, new tranny is in and works great so it's back on the road. As far as the car goes he hardly paid anything for it so he's not to worried about the transmission failure. We were pretty surprised how easy it was to swap, looking at it all together made me think it was going to be a pain but it slid right out and right back in with no problems.

·
6,553 Posts
These LX and LC platform cars are real easy to work on with a lift. The entire engine,trans can be dropped on the cradle, same for the entire rear suspension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.