My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so did it work well? I have found a good deal on a new Precision Products 200 lb spreader. It looks to be heavy duty compared to everything else I have seen, it has steel gears and steel casing with grease fitting. The hopper also seems to be thicker than most. I am just not sure if it would spread manure or compost very well for top dressing the lawn.

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,956 Posts
I think there's a reason why manure spreaders cost many hundreds of dollars. I have considered trying this too but I am sure that a) the slots will clog and/or b) the distribution mechanism will fail.

·
Registered
365 Posts
if you're talking about a broadcast spreader then no. they're designed for powdered or granulated fertiliser, grass seed or salt. compost or manure will clump up and destroy the spreader.

they have manure spreaders that are designed for solids.

if you're not talking about a broadcast spreader then disregard this reply.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
yep compost will not go thru a broadcast speader made for fertilizer and seed. Tryed it and doesn't work. :trink39:

·
L120/G110 Hybridizer
1,174 Posts
Probably not. I tried to spread mushroom soil with my Brinly-Hardy 175# broadcast spreader and it was a failed project from the beginning. Even when the soil dried a bit, it was still too moist to flow through the 1"x6" opening.

Now, manure and compost are similar animals to mushroom soil, maybe even a bit more hard to handle, so I'd say, "No. Won't work."

HTH,
Paul

·
Registered
92 Posts
"Manure spreaders" have drag chains because manure does not flow. It has to be mechanically "moved" and also requires large openings to feed out. In the old days they were called "slingers" and that is what they did.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I have a GT size spreader that will spread compost and manure, pretty simple has a V shaped hopper with a PVC pipe with teeth on it in the bottom to tear up the manure will try to get a name off it tomorrow.Works very well with horse manure and chicken litter BTW

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
The name if the spreader is New Spreader built in Florida very simple design but works well spreading spreading horse and chicken litter

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a millcreek manure spreader for my GT I use it to spread my hog manure on my garden after it is done. It works really good.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just didi this last weekend- with a mixture of torpedo sand. It dries it out and spreads pretty well. I have the Agri-Fab spreader.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts