My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... I see more front mount sickle bars for 2 wheeled DB's show up than suburban ones... Would be a cool retrofit, and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do!

·
Sears Tractor Fan
1,262 Posts
That would be a cool conversion, if you can find one cheap, give it a try. :)

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been keeping my eyes open- I have seen several recently on Ebay, but none near me

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
I can get one, probably wouldn't be hard...

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Are you thinking of adapting it to the front James?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have one. Never thought about putting it on a suburban.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hugh, yep! It has a bracket similar to a mule drive and already has a passenger side drive pulley. heck, might slip right in! Wouldn't be able to lift it though...

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
If you want to impress! Modify three of the sickle bars to run at the same time. In the front and one on each side of the suburban with the cuts slightly over lapping.

I was looking at the DB sickle mower the other day on Ebay and thinking how can I hook that up to my tractor, but then it isn't long enough???? Then I thought about what I wrote above.

Man I wish I was home so I could play in my shop! Got a "I Want To Build" folder filled with ideas I want to try!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man I wish I was home so I could play in my shop! Got a "I Want To Build" folder filled with ideas I want to try!
We appreciate what your doing for your country! Hope you can come home soon too though!

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I suspect the problem will how do you get the mower to follow the contour of the ground. On a two wheeled tractor the mower tips and follows easily but on a Suburban the height will be permanently set at one height. Roger

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah that is part of the problem not having a lift mechanism on it. I was thinking for flat fields and for the "cool" factor

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
We appreciate what your doing for your country! Hope you can come home soon too though!
Thank you! I'm here helping our troops, they are the ones who need everyone's support! :fing32:

Want to say thanks to MTF for letting me join into the forums, been enjoying it!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
even though it will sit high should still be able to cut the weeds with it

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I hope to find one near me. I just think it would be cool- like flail mower- only seen one of those... not for sale...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
i would have loved to have a sickle mower of some kind this fall. the weeds got away from in the new section of the garden this year

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
The mower being to high wouldn't be my problem. With my yard that has dips in it I suspect from time to time I would be using the mower as a dozer blade. Roger

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Might take some work but maybe mount it to the tabs on the front axle, that way it would swivel with the front axle :dunno: it would tip with the contour of the ground as the front axle does......................

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Why not just take the bar itself and make a mount for it to run on the side of the tractor? Then you could lift it. It shouldn't be hard to convert the drive system to a side mount either. Next time I'm at my grandfather's I'll look at his DB sickle and see, as he also has a suburban.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
why not mount it to a lift from like a dozer blade? or make a lift like that...belt tension can be fixed as u lift it up and down....OR build u a cool pull behind unit and power it with a 5hp briggs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts