My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering my property is so freaking bumpy it is hard to stay on the seat unless I keep my tractor in 1st gear when cutting my lawn. I was thinking of making a roller for next time the soil is saturated I could roll it I remember when I was a kid they use to fill up rollers with water and push them around. Or I could get a 30 gal drum and fill it up with cement I do not know what I would do with it after that though.I think the best idea is a 55 gal drum weld a pipe in it and make a pull behind and fill it with H20. Ant suggestions are appreciated

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts

·
jeep ranger
40 Posts
I made one out of a water heater....I cut a hole on each end and slide a pipe through it and welded it...........took some plate and welded it over the holes were the elements went.....ran a smaller pipe through the larger one and attached that to a rectangle frame around the water heater.....put a tung on it and bought plugs to close off and filled with water ....works great

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I made one for a clay tennis court; it was a peice of cast iron water pipe about 3' long and 2'6' in diameter, 1/2" thick.
made round plates for the ends, drilled and tapped the pipe walls, bolted the plates on.
A through pipe and a pivot rod inside that on bearings, it was made to be used by hand. it worked very well on level ground.
originally designed to be water filled, later users wanted more weight and filled it with sand.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I made mine out of 24" dia drill stem pipe, 48" long, I cut out two end plates from 3/8" flat plate, welded a 1" stub shaft in the center, made a hitch frame useing 2 1/2" angle iron with a bearing block mount for the 1" stub shafts. I got a boat plug, drilled the correct sized hole in one end plate and filled it with water. As I started useing it I found out it needed a scrapper bar, made one out of a piece of 2" angle iron, open v of the angle iron to the roller. Whatever it's scrapeing off doesn't build up as bad as it will on a flat bar across there(my first scraper bar). It's over 10 yrs old now, a shot of grease in the bearings once in a rare while is all I ever done to it as far as maintance.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I should have said that the reason I made the thing in the first place was to smooth out what had been a goat pasture. About two days after a good rain I'd mow and pull the roller, I probably did that 10-12 times and it really made a difference.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,680 Posts
I built mine out of a water heater over 30 years ago.
It's 5 foot long and 2 foot in diameter.
The bushings on the ends are made out of nylon and need no maintenance.
I cut the concave bottom out and turned it around so it sets out instead of in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
nice job, I'll bet that thing holds lots-o-water. we made a couple last week out of 12" sch 80 (1/2" wall) and they seem to work pretty good on flat ground but you really need to pay attention on the hill sides to avoid firey-donut lawnmower crash. haha

·
Senior Junkmonkey
278 Posts
I am in the process of finishing up mine. I got a used 100 lb propane tank, cleaned it and flushed out.

Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got one that's almost identical to jdcrawler's. But, it's got a few small holes so doesn't hold water very well. Looks like yours has a few round patches. Can you tell me what they are and how you did them? Any other suggestions on how to patch holes in this kind of a home-made roller?? Thanks for any help.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,680 Posts
I've got one that's almost identical to jdcrawler's. But, it's got a few small holes so doesn't hold water very well. Looks like yours has a few round patches. Can you tell me what they are and how you did them? Any other suggestions on how to patch holes in this kind of a home-made roller?? Thanks for any help.
It was made out a water tank. The round patch is where the bottom drain hole was.
I cut the fitting out with a torch, then cut a piece of sheet steel to fit and welded it in with the mig welder.

I think it's a 80 gallon tank. Water is about 6 pounds a gallon so it weighs about 480 pounds when full.

My recommendation for tank leaks is to put a piece of flat steel over the area and weld it with a wire, stick or tig welder.
If a spot of weld has a leak, grind it out and re-weld it.
Don't braze it. Most often the braze itself will form cracks and leak.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Actually water weighs in at 8.3 pounds per gallon! :)

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,680 Posts
Actually water weighs in at 8.3 pounds per gallon! :)
Thanks, that's good to know.

The container I used must have been a little undersize or the bathroom scale is off at that low of a weight.

At any rate, this would make the weight of the roller at around 664 pounds instead of the 480 pounds that I had figured at first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was wondering my property is so freaking bumpy it is hard to stay on the seat unless I keep my tractor in 1st gear when cutting my lawn. I was thinking of making a roller for next time the soil is saturated I could roll it I remember when I was a kid they use to fill up rollers with water and push them around. Or I could get a 30 gal drum and fill it up with cement I do not know what I would do with it after that though.I think the best idea is a 55 gal drum weld a pipe in it and make a pull behind and fill it with H20. Ant suggestions are appreciated
I have over 1 acre to cut and it is better to rent a ride on or walk behind roller, I get a 1 ton and it even levels the little darling moles we have in the area.

·
Registered
187 Posts
How about this?

Get one of those cardboard round concrete forms at lowes. Cut it as long as you want. Make a jig for each end to hold your axle (steel pipe?) in the center. Make one end completely sealed. Set it up with the axle already in and pour concrete inside. Tamp the concrete in really good to remove any voids. After it cures remove or burn off the form and viola!

Then all you need is a simple frame to pull it with. Really cool if you could line the inside of the form with something to give it that cultipacker look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts