My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have no idea who makes this tractor. Sorry, I can't figure out how to load the picture. It says Bradford and "Transaxle Drive" on the dash tower and "Monte Carlo 8" on the sides of the hood. It seems pretty cool. Looks like a 4 speed, it has an ignition switch on the dash with a pull start handle right below it. Looks like an LT with a 36" two blade deck and a plow. Ok, I think I got it to load a picture:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Looks a little like a Dynamark to me, but could be wrong. It looks solid and well built what ever it is.

·
HAMMAN
1,647 Posts
Looks like an old sears I have sitting out back. Maybe a littel fancier. 8hp vertical briggs. Nice looking LT.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
645 Posts
They were sold at dept. stores around here years ago. Basically your bargain basement LT. They were a dime a dozen around 15-20 yrs. ago. Drive to any trailer park and you would see them all over. Pick up 3 at one place and make one good one out of the pile. Yours looks like it was well preserved.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Bradford was the store brand for the W T Grants department store. Grants went out of business in 76 so your LT is at least that old.

·
Premium Member
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, my mistake. I haven't bought this thing.... yet. I realize from re-reading my OP that you could easily infer that I own it. Sorry for the confusion. Now that I know a little more about it I have to decide if the new-tractor-to-angry-wife ratio is worth it! I think not, still waiting for the right 990 to show up!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have no idea who makes this tractor. Sorry, I can't figure out how to load the picture. It says Bradford and "Transaxle Drive" on the dash tower and "Monte Carlo 8" on the sides of the hood.
Keene, right?

Hey, does the "gg" in "ggsteve" stand for GasGas?

JayC

·
Premium Member
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keene, right?
Yup, I think it is in Keene. My wife has started counting the tarps out next to the shed so I think I have to lay low for a while.:hide:

Hey, does the "gg" in "ggsteve" stand for GasGas?

JayC
Well, it certainly did for a while after I ate that organic raisin bran this weekend!:Stop:

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks suspiciously like my 1973 Craftsman, which was made by Murray. There is a Monte Carlo 8 for sale on Craigslist in northern NJ that looks almost identical to mine, down to the cigarette lighter. 8HP engine, electric start, 3sp manual and big Mr. Magoo headlights that shine down the block. Mine is still running and in use today, although i'm looking for something with a bigger cutting deck and a bagger attachment. It will probably run forever if maintained.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,935 Posts
I had a 8HP Dynamark riding mower that looked the same,so I'd guess thats who made it....as already explained,W.T Grant stores sold many different riding mowers like Rugg's and the ones like this one,and some by Murray and MTD and Huffy too...they probably just bought whatever brands they could get at lowest bid and sold them under the Bradford or Grant's label...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The research I did when one of those was for sale locally indicated they were made by Huffy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My parents had one when I was a kid. I was looking the photo and I decided to google it and found this thread. I thought it was 3 speed with reverse. If I recall it was almost all stamped metal and belts to drive. I don't know if there more than a mower for it. It is no comparison to the Bolens I have now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for bumping an old post, but these tractors are very dear to me so I had to!

The Bradford Monte Carlo was indeed sold at W.T. Grants stores back in the early 70s. My dad remembers going with his father to buy the one we had :)

Interestingly... these tractors were all made by AMF. Yes, that AMF... same one that made golf carts, mopeds and... Harley Davidsons.

I just picked this one up yesterday and it'll get a full restoration.

And here's me driving my dad's way back when :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hah yes I was bit by the bug early on! used to love when he'd "make it go fast" by pulling a bit of twine. now I know he was just yanking on the governor! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts