My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an X730 tractor which is great, but I want a 4wd version of it. Is this an option that's reasonably doable installation wise, or do I just need to trade it in which would likely be an expensive proposition.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Tractors are not like cars in that there are no junkyards full of wrecked tractors. Buying all of the parts needed and then being stuck with the original parts will make it very costly. Best to sell and buy. There have been many cases of people on this forum doing similar things and it is ok if you love doing it and money is of no meaning to you. It will also be a freak in that it will be a tractor that will not match the vin number description and you will have to sell it as a
"Homebuilt" version. I added power steering to an old Cub Cadet because I wanted to keep it, but after all was said and done, it cost more than $600 to add it and that was with mostly used parts.

·
21,713 Posts
Install 2-link chains on the rear tires and call it done.

I have a 2wd MF1655 GT with chains and a 4wd MF GC2310 SCUT without chains. On snow, the GT is superior by a noticeable margin. Both have turf tires.

Backing up a slope with a sizeable payload in the loader bucket is about the only place that I've found where the 4wd might be worth the extra cost of installing. As seldom as that particular task has come up, the added maintenance costs make it a not worthwhile effort.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't believe it is worthwhile to add 4WD to an X730, but the price difference between a used X730 and an X738 is probably about $1,200 to $2,000 depending on year and condition.

There is no way you could do the conversion for that cost. You might be able to do it for double that.

Why do you want 4WD?
What tasks do you think it will make better/easier/faster?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys folks. My thoughts were that if it was a reasonably easy and cost effective way to do it, I'd tackle the project. I have a very steep driveway and the 4wd would come in handy because I want to add a snow blower to the tractor. If I were to trade it on a new tractor, I'm sure I'd be looking at around 5 grand or more, which is before I buy the snow blower. I think I will look for a used X738 now. Anyone have an idea what a 2014 X730 with 150 hours is worth? It presently has a 60" deck and bagger that I could sell with, or without.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think you could make the switch for less than 5K + blower. I also think that I would try chains first. If you want the blower, get the blower and see how it works with what you have. The blower should need less traction than a blade. So you might be fine with just terragrips.

Converting to 4WD is not easy at all and nowhere near cheap. You would likely need a different transaxle in the rear and definitely a different front axle plus driveshaft or hydraulic hoses depending on year. None of those parts are available inexpensively, even used they are pricey. You might be able to get some back by selling the extra parts once you were done. So, best to buy it the way you want for this feature.

·
Super Moderator
15,670 Posts
I looked at Making My X485 4WD In 2008 at the time it was close to $5,000 to do it and that was Just Parts. Two friends that are JD Mechanics By Day were going to help me By Night. But when all said and Dione It would Have Been cheaper to buy a used X585 at the time. So In 2014 I Bought a Used 2012 JD X748

Here a Place that specializes In Used Late Model Deere's Riding Mowers » Roeder Outdoor Power
Screenshot_2020-03-29 Riding Mowers » Roeder Outdoor Power.png
Screenshot_2020-03-29 Riding Mowers » Roeder Outdoor Power(1).png

I Bought a 2012 X748 from them In 2014 for $10,300 with 130 or 110 Hrs I Bought a 2012 X540 In 2016 from them for $5,000 with 150hrs BTW they ship around the US using Mayflower Movers (y)

·
21,713 Posts
Thanks for the replys folks. My thoughts were that if it was a reasonably easy and cost effective way to do it, I'd tackle the project. I have a very steep driveway and the 4wd would come in handy because I want to add a snow blower to the tractor.
How steep? I have routinely put my 2wd GT/loader on top of a 7' high snow dump with a 20' long ramp of compacted snow/ice while carrying an overfull 9 cu-ft bucket load of compacted snow that avalanched off of my roof. The bucket alone weighs 210 lb. That tractor has a 2-speed final drive set in LO for that task, and it doesn't spin the tires.

For snow duty, my 2wd tractors get loaded tires and chains before they deal with any snow. Then additional ballast is added to ensure that the tires have enough traction to pull cars and trucks out of the snow filled ditches in the neighbourhood.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Tractors are not like cars in that there are no junkyards full of wrecked tractors. Buying all of the parts needed and then being stuck with the original parts will make it very costly. Best to sell and buy. There have been many cases of people on this forum doing similar things and it is ok if you love doing it and money is of no meaning to you. It will also be a freak in that it will be a tractor that will not match the vin number description and you will have to sell it as a
"Homebuilt" version. I added power steering to an old Cub Cadet because I wanted to keep it, but after all was said and done, it cost more than $600 to add it and that was with mostly used parts.
That's not entirely true. There are actually quite a few salvage yards around the country. The one shown below is near me. I still agree though that it would no doubt be cost prohibitive and trading the machine on a 4WD version would be less expensive.

www.haldemansupply.com

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I was referring to the fact that there are no late models in the junkyards like autos that have been wrecked. In your pictures, I don't see any late models. In an auto junkyard, there are 2020 models that have been hit but have parts on them that are new and in good shape. That doesn't happen with tractors. Almost all tractor junkyards have worn or rusted-out tractors.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I was referring to the fact that there are no late models in the junkyards like autos that have been wrecked. In your pictures, I don't see any late models. In an auto junkyard, there are 2020 models that have been hit but have parts on them that are new and in good shape. That doesn't happen with tractors. Almost all tractor junkyards have worn or rusted-out tractors.
The photos I posted were only a fraction of what they have. I agree that the majority of salvaged tractors are older models but they do actually have later models. I've seen 2012 and newer models in some of their Craigslist ads. Most of those have some type of catastrophic damage like an engine fire or something. This place seems to strip down newer tractors and then inventory and file away the parts. It's a good place to find mower decks as they have hundreds of them stacked on pallet racks.

Anyway, just wanted to let folks know that places like this do exist.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I agree with putting chains and weights on the X730. My son has one with a 47 Quick Hitch blower and does the very steep driveway in the attached photo.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you really want or need a 4x4 tractor, I wouldn't modify your current one if you ever plan on selling it. Just post it up for sale the way it sits now (private sale, cash only, as-is) and once it's gone, take the money and put it towards a 4x4 tractor of your choice.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Where are you located? There is a low hour x728 special edition near me. I hesitate to mention it because there is an ever so slightly chance I will buy it. Only $4500--and that's the asking price from a private owner.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
Where are you located? There is a low hour x728 special edition near me. I hesitate to mention it because there is an ever so slightly chance I will buy it. Only $4500--and that's the asking price from a private owner.
That's a hellva price......It would already be in my yard, wouldn't have to mention it on here like you did. Why isn't it? Heck use it for a year or 2 and then resell it, no money lost.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's a 3 hour drive from me, across a State line. And I don't really have a use for it. And it doesn't feel like the time to be making unnecessary purchases. I just WANT it. But if the price drops, I'll see how fast my old truck can run

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
It's a 3 hour drive from me, across a State line. And I don't really have a use for it. And it doesn't feel like the time to be making unnecessary purchases. I just WANT it. But if the price drops, I'll see how fast my old truck can run

How many states from NJ

1 - 20 of 30 Posts