My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer I bought my used x748 from has a X485 I'm interested in 100 miles away at their other dealership. If I buy it they will deliver it here and then to my house for free. It's not perfect, but supposedly needs nothing and runs great according to the salesman.

My weekends are pretty full right now with holiday stuff, Patriots games and everything else so I'd prefer not driving 4 hours to look at it. Has anyone any experience with this? It's a 2003 so it's not the same as buying a late model X7 from Roder.

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
The dealer I bought my used x748 from has a X485 I'm interested in 100 miles away at their other dealership. If I buy it they will deliver it here and then to my house for free. It's not perfect, but supposedly needs nothing and runs great according to the salesman.

My weekends are pretty full right now with holiday stuff, Patriots games and everything else so I'd prefer not driving 4 hours to look at it. Has anyone any experience with this? It's a 2003 so it's not the same as buying a late model X7 from Roder.
Yes My Used X748 Only saw Pictures Bought another tractor that way from the same dealer 2 years later also Bought a 2004 GX335 that way through evil bay But I trusted the reputation of both Dealers:thThumbsU

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would Get the dealer to drop the price a little drive the 100 miles and see it run it around some Then if it is ok haul it home .
Or set on your butt and take a chance It is a four hour drive round trip not a even an overnighter . If you do not have the time how will you fine time to use the Tractor ?

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
I traveled over 2 hours for my X485, I could have still drove home with an empty trailer, I bought it, great deal great condition & low hours. to answer your question sight unseen & not look at it in person, it would have to be from a trusted source.

·
Super Moderator
13,207 Posts
I've bought lots of machines sight unseen.... At auctions no less.... I'd still prefer to see them in person buried have no issues buying them without laying eyes on them. I figure their used machines and you get what you get and but accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
2,239 Posts
I'm thinking an x485 that's 15 years old , even with 1000 to 2000 hours on it, a dealer wants between 4 grand and 6 grand. Buying something for that amount that's 15 years old, you would want to go see it. You may be able get them to lower the price. If he's giving you free delivery, he has plenty of profit he can give up and lower the price. It's funny, any other brand that's 15 years old is worth just about nothing.

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
I bought my X748 sight unseen. I am in Utah, it was in Missouri. I asked every question I could think of, and ran everything by mrbeef then went for it. I also got my 332 sight unseen from Oklahoma, and my Case sight unseen from Washington.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
At a minimum I think I would get the dealer to give some kind of guarantee that you get to inspect and accept or reject the delivery. Or a good sight unseen discount.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
I'd go see it if I were serious about buying it. What's a few hours in the car compared to the time you may own the machine? Could be a "rest of your life" ownership.
And of course we all know what mama said about "fooseball"

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You have a very busy life if you can't find 4-5 hours to go see this machine. That said, if the dealer is serious about selling it he should be willing to bring it to his location for you to see and inspect. Those green machines cost enough so I'm sure there's enough profit in the sale for him to do that. OR, I'd want that "inspect and reject" option that Whirlybird suggested.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Not an x7-series but I did buy my 2520 CUT that way, sort of. I found it online at a dealer in TX. I'm located in MN. I looked over the pictures in detail and asked the dealer a few questions on things I needed more info on. I was fortunate that my parents winter in TX and were within an hour or so of the selling dealer so my dad went over and checked it out. That ensured that the 2520 started up OK, didn't have any obvious issues on a very short test drive, and didn't show any other problems that the pictures didn't show.

So, not 100% what you're asking, but close. However, based on this I'd suggest an alternative for you is to ask the dealer to have someone take a video of the tractor for you. Show a cold start, show it running, moving, operating attachments. That will give you a somewhat close approximation to a real life walk-around. Be sure to ask any questions in advance so they can highlight areas for you in the video.

Rob

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey take some time and miss a Patriots game, they ain't gonna win anyways!!!
You know, it is tough losing all that tractor time when I'm at all those home playoff games! :tango_face_smile_bi

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
So Mr Football did You Buy the X485 or Not?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I bought my X749 from Wisconsin. It was about 5-6 hour drive from Detroit, an overnight trip. It was pretty much commitment to buy when I left, as the dealer was bringing in from another branch a little over hour further north.

Well, I got there and was not overly enamoured by it. Pictures made it look nicer. Loud engine tick, worn out steering bushing, massive faded plastics, etc.. noticed an oil leak on rear axle, but in blurr of looking over, etc. didn’t dig further. Since I was already in deep with the drive, etc. I bought it.

Today, I somewhat wish I would have passed. I put some cash into fixing it up, replacing worn items, polishing plastics, new tires, etc.. Fixed engine tick by flushing out injectors. Rear axle still drips on my garage floor as I have not has time to tear that all apart to replace rift side axle housing seal. I wish I would have just held out for a decent price on a local X748 instead.

Long story short, even when going to see from a long distance, you still may feel compelled to buy even if not perfect / what you thought. Sometimes best just to hold out and find something else local.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought my x748 from a CL ad i saw in TN. The seller sent me pictures and videos. Then we discussed the jd dealer that serviced it annually. I asked him if he thought the jd dealer would help us put the deal together. So he went down there and talked to the manager of the jd store. The manager was super cool and agreed to help us. I called the manager and expained my concerns purchasing the machine sight unseen and sending money to a stranger. I asked him if he’d be ok with me sending the cashiers check to him at the jd store and then handing the check to the seller when the seller brought it to the dealership the day the transport showed up to ship it to me in Utah...after verifying the sn# of the tractor, 45 loader, 62c deck and the hrs and condition were what was advertised of course. The manager of the store was super cool about the whole thing. The seller was comfortable with this arrangement as well. His bank called my bank and verified the check i was sending in the mail was legit.

I got on google maps and looked around the dealership for a steak house of some kind so I could send a little thank you giftcard to the jd manager in the envelope that had the cashiers check in it. I found a texas roadhouse and sent a $100 gift card.

The seller and the manager stayed and made sure the trucker chained it down correctly and it showed up here 3days later.

The manager called me to let me know it shipped out and thanked me for the giftcard. I thought for his help the $100 was the least i could do to thank him.

Anyway That was my experience...i couldnt have asked for a better setup and probably couldnt make it that easy again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts