My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.... I was wondering about building my own Lawn tractor cart.... I'm curious what to use for the axle and tires.... where could you find a cheap axle settup ... My plan at the moment is to build this out of Uni Strut and Wood.... If anyone has any pointers on their own designs and what they used to make a cart ... I would appreciate some ideas..... I am on a tight budget these days and wouldn't mind a project to keep me busy besides.... thanks for your insight..:thanku:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I used the rear tires from a old rider mower and fabricated axles from bolts.

I built an angle iron frame and then have a steel bed.

Here is how I built the hitch. It allows for better articulation than a typical hitch.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I used hubs off the rear of a front wheel drive car from the junk yard. ($10) Piece of pipe for the axle. Wheels ($5 each) Kindorf and some angle for the frame, pipe in tung also. (already had). Pallet hard wood for the body. (free)
I made this about 15 years ago and its still going strong.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,952 Posts
I have made a few,one using the FWD car hubs and space saver spare tires with pipe for the axles like Small Fry did..one I used a rear axle & wheels off a Dodge Caravan my friend was going to scrap..kind of wide,but you'll never hurt it!..

Another heavy duty one I made by cutting a 275 gallon oil tank in half and used the rear half of a rear engine riding mower for the base and wheels,made that one a dump style..pretty heavy though even empty,its not good for a light lawn tractor,it'll lift the rear end off the ground when heavily loaded if you use it on a small tractor with no wheel weights ..

The handiest one I made isn't a cart at all,but is instead an old MTD lawn tractor I cut in two at the tunnel just before the seat and added frame rails made of street sign square tube with the holes in it,and I made a pickup bed style dump body that can slide into those rails ,it can be dumped while sitting on it simply by lifting it up,and the bed can be removed when not needed when you need to tow or manuver in tight spots..was a bit "butt heavy" till I added weight up front,steering was a challenge without it,it tended to do nice wheelies!..

I've seen a few regular wheelbarrows coverted to a one wheel trailer too,or you can add another wheel to one to make a wider axle..one guy down the street has a large gray warehouse plastic bin thing that used to have casters he put wheelbarrow wheels on using water pipe and 5/8" bolts for an axle,just u-bolted it right to the bin..he says it sucks to unload though,its pretty deep and has no "tailgate"...carries a lot though!..

·
Citizen of Earth
15,661 Posts
I made one out of a 6 foot steel mortar mixing tub, 2 wheelbarrow wheels, a 4 foot piece of 3/4" dia. steel rod, 2 3/4" i.d. steel collars, and some scrap wood and metal. No welding was done. I bolted a couple of treated wood 4x4 lengthwise to the tub for height and one across not quite in the middle with a 3/4" dado for the steel rod. Laid the rod in the groove and then captured it in place by screwing a wood cover over it. The motar tub is sloped at each end, so even with no dump feature, it unloads fairly easy. Sorry I have no pictures. I got the mortar tub at a scratch & dent auction at a lumber yard for $25 about 30 years ago.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sorry to get off the subject, but, Small Fry- what in God's name is that behind the tractor/trailer in your second picture? Looks interesting...

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,440 Posts
Sorry to get off the subject, but, Small Fry- what in God's name is that behind the tractor/trailer in your second picture? Looks interesting...
His "MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME" Sunday go to church car!!!!!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
968 Posts
my guess is a log splitter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the idea's that you have given me..... I'm half thinking about borrowing a few of them to make something.... my first line of business is to get my wheels for the task....

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
my guess is a log splitter.
Yea it's a log splitter a old buddy made from a bunch of junk he got at the dump. It's beast, but it's not really mine. Has a 3 point hitch powered by a fork lift motor, old kohler 24 hp, ford rear, some old car front axle, old trany out of a school bus. You can pop the splitter off and use the hitch for what ever. He had a set of gang mowers at one time.

I bet my log splitter goes down the road fast then yours, mine has a 4 speed..:biglaugh:

Three guys can split a bunch of wood in no time with this con-trap-tion.:drunkie:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts