My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a fire-damaged GX345 last summer and a butt-ugly 345 for parts. Very few of the parts that I needed swapped from the 345 to the GX345, so I decided to get the 345 going as well.The GX345 is stupid fast, and Tractor Data says they should both max out at 7mph. I know Tractor Data has some errors, but the 345 is considerably slower than the GX345. I do not believe this is the typical worn hydraulic motor issue, because it will still climb a fairly steep hill and maintain the same slowish speed that it does on flat ground. To be clear, the 345 goes plenty fast for cutting, it is just no where near as fast as the GX345. Both units have fresh fluids and filters. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Check where the forward pedal bolts on to the arm under the foot plan that goes back to the transmission. The hole is slotted so the speed can be adjusted by where the bolt sits in the slotted hole.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't say the hole on the 345 is slotted, but I did lift up on the pedal when I tightened it. I'm honestly not sure if there is actually anything wrong. Can anyone who has both models confirm that they really should go the same top speed? Maybe the GX345 has slotted holes, and I'm going considerably faster than the claimed 7mph. In fact, it feels way faster than that to me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Any chance your 345 has smaller than standard tires?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have both and haven't really noticed any big difference. My GX has larger tires on it but they are the original factory supplied turfs. Same with the 345. Wonder if the larger tires make it go just a little faster as previously mentioned?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have both as well.
Yes, larger dia tires will increase the speed for the same RPM of the axle. It shouldn't be much of a difference going from 23.5" to 24" dia., but will travel faster.

The early gx345's had 23.5" x 10.5 x 12 tires like the 345's.
My 2005 gx345 has 24" x 12 x 12 tires.
My FIL's 2004 gx345 has 23.5 x 10.5 x 12 tires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Both tractors have 23.5x10.5 inch tires. it is pouring today, so I won't be testing today. I may be able to try that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I just used an online calculator to figure out the speed difference between the tire sizes if anyone is interested.

If, 23.5 x 10.5 x 12 tire = 7.0 mph
then, 24 x 12 x 12 tire = 7.1 mph
for the same RPM's. It is very negligible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts