My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 31 and I don't have any health problems other than this awful acid reflux. I've been taking Prevacid and as long as I don't miss a dose, I'm good to go. If I forget, on come the burps and the burning and the discomfort. Anyway I'm curious if anyone else deals with this and what methods you use? It sure does suck.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have you tried any lifestyle or diet changes that haven't made any difference ? :tango_face_sad:

Have your mother or her siblings had a history of stomach problems, including ulcers and stomach surgery?

:tango_face_glasses:

·
Administrator
13,455 Posts
My wife has been dealing with it for years. At times it got so bad that she had coughing fits like I've never heard before. She was scoped for ulcers and esophageal cancer with negative results. They told her to double up on Prilosec and watch her diet. Excessive amounts of oily, fried foods can trigger attacks, as well as overeating, which is a major cause.

For me, laying down on a full stomach will give me indigestion, so I don't eat late dinners. Now and then I take an antacid if necessary.

If you get it often, you should talk to your doctor about it and make sure you don't have a more serious condition.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,603 Posts
I've had acid reflux for decades,along with other digestive issues with my intestines..

I have to take at least 2 ozmeperole pills daily,and I get the worst symptoms at night when I go to lay down in bed--I cant sleep on my side any more,I prefer too,but my stomach just seems to inflate like a balloon when I do,now I mostly have to sleep "sitting up"...
I get "airbound" and cant get a full burp out if I lay on one side..as a result I usually get very little "sleep",between my back and stomach bothering me all night...

I have tried taking a spoonful of apple cider vinegar with "mother" (Bragg's brand is what I use) in the morning,with a glass of water..tastes horrible,but it does seem to help stave off an attack of reflux after breakfast,especially if I eat bacon or bran cereal--so far the cereal that agrees best with me is a generic honey nut cheerios clone a local market sells under their label for less than the genuine stuff...

I can eat most anything I want within reason--certain acidic foods like tomatoes and fruits sometimes set me off,as does bacon , spicy foods,saussages,which I love (of course!)..--orange juice has to be diluted and a bit of sugar added,I like mixing it with lime tonic water with quinine ,which helps with muscle cramping,I often have that issue on a daily basis due to spine curvature...

Anything carbonated usually ends up making me miserable,cant drink soda any more--only beer seems to be the exception,but I rarely drink any alcohol now,after it did a number on my stomach lining and esophagus some years ago,and years of taking NSAID pain relievers also did some stomach damage (I'm still on them too).....ended up with stomach ulcers and some damage to my throat from the reflux..

I still have trouble swallowing and am always belching (or passing gas) when my stomach starts acting up..in 2008 I had a 25 day bout of bowel blockage and the cause was never found,it was like my intestines just decided not to function for almost a month,and I was in pretty rough shape after that episode...have never felt "good" in many years even previous to that event..

Antacids do help some,but I try not to take too many of them,as they can constipate you and that is another issue I deal with all too often..

I should get tested for Lyme disease and have a throat scan,but I'm not too fond of having things shoved down my throat (or up the other end either)--my doctor has wanted me to get a colonscopy since I turned 50 almost 9 years ago,but I've chickened out so far...too many times I've gone to a hospital and came out worse off than I entered.

I find my stomach issues increase ten fold if I'm under a lot of stress or emotional issues arise,and this has been a bad year for me regarding both those issues...lack of sleep doesn't help any either..

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,416 Posts
I've had it as long as I can remember...I am 34 and went on Prevacid at age 14. I had no idea I had an issue prior to that...just dealt with it and at handfuls of antacids several times per day. My symptoms sound identical to yours. I'm on 60mg/day, but 30mg timed right (first thing in the morning) carries me through the day and I don't typically have to take one at night. I burn regardless of what I eat or drink, and even get it bad if I eat/drink nothing at all. There are certainly things that worsen the issue...anything citrus is the worst, followed by tomato based acidic foods. I don't drink soda (unless it's blended with whiskey), and gave up on juice since it requires I take my second 30mg pill of the day. I do, however, LOVE spicy food, and I'm fine eating it without a 'boost' at supper time. I'll put jalapenos, onions and salsa on about anything, and they don't seem to have any impact if I have taken my pill already that day. My Dr has me on 2x30mg so that I can go twice as long between paying the copay, but it is nice to have a second one on hand if needed =]

I first discovered I had a 'problem' when I had to have a piece of beef removed from my esophagus at urgent care in some podunk town while at deercamp. They scoped me and had to pull it out, and told my father I had to see a DR because of the excessive scar tissue buildup down there. I was accustomed to food getting stuck at least on a weekly basis, and I could either get it to eventually pass, or my gut would say Uncle and I'd puke. Again, over the course of years, it was just 'normal' for me. I don't think my folks even had a clue. I have since had 3 endoscopies (my mother has had 2 now as well), the first 2 were a few years apart, and required scar tissue removal (you don't want that!!) and dilation of my esophagus. The third was just a dilation and biopsy due to esophageal cancer risk. I'm well overdue for another one of those...

I take my pill every morning at about 5:15am. If I don't, I know it by 6a, which is usually about the time I'm half way to work! I keep spare pills in my car, truck, camper, on the boat, in my desk at work, up a deercamp and in my wife's purse. I remember when Prevacid 15mg went 'over the counter' and it was a life saver, even at $$$ per pill. I'd usually pop 3 or 4 since it seems to be very difficult for the med to 'catch up' once you realize you missed taking it.

Also, I found out this past year of another issue related to this...I had terrible muscle cramps on a daily basis. Lock up my leg at work, and worst of all, lock up my back each night when I went to bed. It was so bad I finally went to the Doc. He looked at my chart and said to order a 3-4 month supply of magnesium supplements. He said that Omeprazole depletes the body of magnesium, which is already naturally difficult for the body to absorb. I had the wife amazon prime me some, and after about 8 weeks, I couldn't ignore the improvement. He was spot on. He said that 'boost' should keep me cramp free for a few years, and then i will likely need to 'boost' again. I have no idea how long I had cramps like that...I know that a decade ago I passed up on learning to water ski because I couldn't get up on plane without crippling charlie horses. Maybe I'll try it now!! =]

·
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys, glad to see I'm not the only one dealing with it. I've taken steps over the years to minimize it but I can't seem to get to a point diet wise where I can avoid taking medication. I haven't had a soda since 2010, I drink mostly water and occasionally tea. Fried foods oddly don't bother me but tomato sauce sets me on fire. My doctor told me to eat small meals throughout the day to keep something in my stomach, that helped a lot. Before, I was eating 3 normal meals and the mornings were awful.

Right now I take a 15mg Prevacid once a day, which I suppose isn't as bad as I thought. My doctor thinks stress might also play a part in it. I don't have high blood presssure or hyper tension or anything like that, but I am helping keep Zoloft in business. Running a business is awesome but it is high demand, I rarely get a day off. I havent figured out how to lower the stress level to see if that helps.

Has you guys progressively gotten worse or has it stayed about the same? Mine was worse in my early 20s because I drank too much booze and ate all kinds of crap. It's more manageable now but it still sucks, one missed dose and I'm breathing fire within a few hours.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,416 Posts
Mine has always been what I would consider severe, and very consistent. I have tried everything… Especially the last 10 years being married. My wife is big on diet and exercise and all of that. The reflux is my only ailment at this point in life and I cannot seem to put a dent in it except for using the pill. Even fasting brings it on if I have no pill, and the heartburn/burbs taste purely of stomach acid which seems worse than when blended with food!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Mine showed up in my 30's as well. There's definitely been a stress component to it, it seemed to flare about the time I got a new job in management. But I also have a family history of reflux - my grandpa had it so bad he needed throat surgery to relieve some of the scarring and widen his esophagus.

My Dr. started me on Omeprazole (Prilosec) but that stuff did not agree with me at all. The side effects were worse than the symptoms of reflux. I've been taking Ranitidine 2x per day for about 3-4 years and it's been working well. I'd like to wean myself off it though.

I'd be willing to bet my heartburn would go away if I could zen out and eliminate stress. But that's probably not going to happen as long as I'm employed/have kids running around the house.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm 31 and I don't have any health problems other than this awful acid reflux. I've been taking Prevacid and as long as I don't miss a dose, I'm good to go. If I forget, on come the burps and the burning and the discomfort. Anyway I'm curious if anyone else deals with this and what methods you use? It sure does suck.
Brother I feel your pain, my wife has suffered w/reflux for years and is on prescription meds one is OMEPRAZOLE Prilosec 20mg 2/DAY that I know of. Good luck, Rudy:fing32:

·
15,000 +posts!
19,603 Posts
I was taking Ranitidine also,before my doctor said Ozmeperole works better--been using these since 2008 when I had that bowel shutdown issue..

I also had two very scary incidents just before that issue when I got food stuck in my throat twice in a 2 week period--first incident was I choked on a large slice of apple when I was alone in my garage,I didn't intend to swallow it but it went down anyway,and firmly lodged in my throat--luckily I was able to make it into the house and had my mother call
9-1-1,and paramedics came...by the time they got there I had managed to choke down the apple,but it felt like I'd swallowed a razor blade for a good week,and like some of it never went down..

Two weeks later I had the same thing happen while eating steak--my teeth aren't in the best shape and I tended to bolt my food rather than chew it up well,and again,the paramedics had to come--they just told me to "drink some water"--I was expecting the heimlick manuver,but they said no,your still breathing ok,not turning blue!--I was scared to death both times,and it was not long after that my bowels shut down...

Neither of the pills Ozmeperole or Ranitidine, seem to make an immediate difference,it has to be taken at certain times of the day or night without fail,or as noted,you'll have a period of a day or more to "catch up" and your stomach will stay sour the whole time...and if you skip meals,your stomach will revolt as badly or worse than it would if you ate something that triggers your reflux often...emotional upset increases this 150% too..in my case my nerves are the worst trigger for the stomach issues,followed closely by certain foods and spices..sometimes the Ozmeprole will upset your stomach too..

I do not take more than 2 pills in 24 hours though...more isn't always better when it comes to pills---I can take up to two Diclonifac NSAID pain relievers in 24 hours,but I find more often than not,two do no better than one,and since all NSAID's eat away at your stomach lining and esophagus,less it better..

I found it ironic my doctor prescribed a pain reliever that actually increases the chance of strokes and stomach ulcers when I have A-fib and had ulcers,but I do need the relief from the back pain the spine curvature causes..and I want no part of addictive opioids..

I did not know Ozmeperole can deplete your magnesium levels,my doctor never said anything about that--he did give me a vitaman D supplement for one month that seemed to help a little,but my levels of that came back as "normal" so I only had that one doseage...I will have to ask him about the magnesium--I have been found to be very low on potassium a few times for some unknown reason...(that was discovered when I was hospitalized in 2008)..

My reflux has been "steady" at times,and has "peaked" at times,usually in relation to how much emotional stress or physical pain is present at the time..

I have several other meds to take daily,and it is tough keeping track of which one you did take and which one you didn't...I have to lay them out a day in advance and hope I remember to take them all--and they cant all be taken at once,which makes it easy to overlook one of them...

I have been on as many as 7 different meds a day,ranging from Loritidine (Claratin genetic) for allergies,Gabapentin for seizures,and I had been put on a few anti-depressants which I had some very disturbing reactions too,and refuse to take any more of...also have to use inhalers for athsma and take a baby asprin for my heart,which often brings on worse reflux..

My diet I admit is not that healthy,I cant eat many fresh fruits and rarely eat vegetables other than some canned ones or what comes in soups,and I tend to live on TV dinners and crackers,and some "junk food",and salt is a main staple in all those foods..

I live alone so any fresh fruits or veggies I buy usually end up being tossed out to the crows after a week,I cant seem to eat them fast enough,so I do not buy them often--I also am not fond of cooking and dirtying up a lot of dishes and washing them--I prefer to eat ready made stuff on paper plates and toss them,not wash dishes,or waste money on electricity using the oven--microwave gets used a lot..

I limit my coffee intake to no more than two cups a day,usually I only drink one upon awakening,none after that...I like Tea better,but do not drink much of that either..both can make your reflux worse,I find coffee from places like Dunkin's tend to irritate my stomach a lot more than what I make at home..I avoid eating out anywhere too,otherwise I'm very liable to have an attack of reflux..

I often "skip" an evening meal,and just eat breakfast and a late lunch,(around 3 pm),usually turkey sandwich meat,that seems to agree with my stomach best...if I skip "supper" I'll end up hungry around midnight and have to take a bottle of milk and some snack food to bed and sip on it if I cant sleep..otherwise I'll have reflux and hunger pains all night...lately I've been stuck in a rut,I'll nod off around 8-9 PM,and wake up after midnight and am wide awake,usually until sunrise..this has not helped any either,lack of good sleep takes a big toll on your overall health...

STRESS and EMOTIONAL trauma will increase your reflux more than anything!

I have had some troubling issues regarding some neighbors firing large caliber guns right next door to my property, for the past 6 months or so,and that nearly ended up getting me arrested for the first time in my life on the 9th of this month,it is a long story I wont repeat here,short story is they would fire any time they felt like it with no warning,they ruined nearly every sunday for everyone here within a mile of their property..the police claim they have inspected their "backyard range" and said it meets all the requirements..
Which ended up not being the truth..they defended the persons shooting and told anyone who complained "we cant do anything about it"...

No one else dared be outside while this was ongoing,and even indoors as a "prisoner in your own home",you cannot listen to music,a TV,read,or do just about anything that requires focus and concentration..my house is about 600 feet from where they were firing,but my back yard abuts their "range" and if I am at the rear of my property,I'm more like 100 feet away...

Twice in a 4 day period the first week of this month,I was scared out of my skin when they opened fire when I was standing no more than 100 feet away,and the first incident was on a wednesday afternoon,a time they had NEVER done any shooting before,it was always on a weekend,usually all day Sunday...then the exact same thing happened at 4 pm on a Sunday that they had not fired one shot all day,so I figured it was "safe" to go in my backyard...WRONG!...it was like they ambushed me both times,waited until I was the closest,though it is unlikely they could see me,and just unlucky coincidence..

When I called the police to make a noise complaint for the 5th time in as many months,I was so terrified from the sudden shock,not knowing if those people would shoot AT me for having called the cops on them before,I freaked out completely...they unloaded a 10 round magazine both times in like 5 seconds...

I got an ocular migraine seizure instantly for the first time in 2+ years,and those can cause me to say or do things I'd never normally do--my vision gets affected and my reaction to a sudden explosion type sound can trigger one instantly..my adrenaline takes over,and I can become unruly or start ranting,and not recall exactly what I said..its pretty terrifying to experience..

I lost control of my emotions while I was on the phone with the police dispatcher,the shooting was still ongoing,and evidently made some statements that the cops said were "domestic terrorism death threats",which is a felony,and they came to my house with guns pointed at me,searched me,put me in cuffs,then said I could face a felony charge up to 20 years,just for uttering something I cant even remember!..----my nerves have never been so "on edge" as they have this past year..

Oh,later on, after the cops left my house,after "detaining" me for nearly 20 minutes,and saying "your lucky we're letting you off this time"--2 homes up the street requested an officer to come check out "reports of projectiles hitting 2 homes"...it was later determined a .22 bullet hit one home,the other they listed as a "possible pellet or projectile"...the police LT.called me later on and said they found "some violations" at the shooters property, and told the owners no more shooting,at least "for now"..

I am not looking forward to living here if they get permission to shoot again...for 39 out of the past 40 years I have lived here,this property was my sanctuary--now I no longer feel safe in my own yard,and hate hearing guns going off for hours on end..there is a public rifle range only 3 miles away too,but these people insist on destroying the quality of life for 200+ others living nearby instead...

There are several other residents very angry this has been allowed,and want to get the town to ban residential "backyard" gun ranges,its insane they even allow this with so many homes all around here now..

My health has degraded a lot since this crap started--its bad enough there are too many illegal guns killing people on the streets around here,now you cant even feel safe in your own home,never mind have any peace of mind.....:mad:..

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
So, I'm reading about all these Prevacid users that suffer consequences quickly if they miss taking it. I wonder if it is severity of their ailment or the medicine. I've been taking Zantac for years. Doc prescribed Zantac 150 twice a day but I only take one in the morning and usually am fine unless I over-eat the wrong food late in the evening but then chewing a couple Tums settles it down.

Maybe I'm just lucky and not as severely afflicted but I often forget to take my Zantac and unless I eat the wrong foods, I can skip the whole day and not suffer. I think however that there is more to it. Prevacid is a PPI whereas Zantac is an H2 blocker.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,603 Posts
My doctor said I'll likely have to be on Ozmeperole (generic Prilosec) "for life",to control the excess acid production...(maybe you get dependent on it ?--I do not seem to have built up a tolerance to it and need to increase the dosage after 8 years unlike many other meds)..sometimes I wonder if they prescribe these pills knowing you'll need them "forever",just to make more profits...

It seems if you miss or skip a dose,your stomach dumps even more acid than it normally would ..our bodies probably revolt against us using meds to "control" certain bodily functions, and try to compensate for that...

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,483 Posts
I had some symptoms of GERD, but not a classic case of Acid Reflux. While the Dr was continuing to evaluate results of various tests he put my on omeprazol 40 mg for a couple months. During that time, I really did not have any of the symptoms, but ultimately I was diagnosed with Eosinophilic esophagitis. Often confused with Acid Reflux, but more likely the result of certain food allergies. It was determined that the Omeprazol was not particularly useful in treatment of my symptoms and that I should just quit. Easier said than done. I learned the hard way that the stomach develops a hyper acid build-up to combat the omeprazol. For about 6 weeks while weaning myself off Omeprazol I had the worst acid indigestion of my entire life. When I mentioned it to the Dr he kind of acknowledged that it is a known problem when quitting, but hadn't mentioned it to me. Thanks Doc.

Anyway, the EE is only a problem when I eat certain bread things, like bagels, soft pretzels, hard rolls, and it seems to be worse if the bread is a day or two old. Anyway, for me, it has been much easier to avoid those type foods than treating with a drug.

Good luck to all of you battling the symptoms. I know they are no fun. Hope you find some kind of comfort.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,603 Posts
My doctor just "assumed" I had acid reflux,the weird thing was I rarely ever had any heartburn or that sour burp experience ,even at night,unless I had eaten something spicy or set off my stomach...he insisted a lot of folks have it,and never realize it due to lack of such symptoms..

My throat has had issues with food "sticking" in my throat for nearly 10 years--I also sometimes get what I describe as a charley-horse or muscle spasm in my throat,sitting in a certain chair or swallowing with my head turned can cause my throat to feel as though a muscle pulled out of position--I can push on the area with my thumb,and get it to "pop" back into place..until I do that,swallowing is difficult and painful...a few minutes later,I'm OK again...sometimes I have to take a pain reliever to get the sore muscle feeling to subside.
I've been told my spinal curvature may have a lot to do with this,it lets the discs in my neck get out of position and pinches a nerve,but there is no way to determine that for sure by x-ray or MRI ,even if one was done while I'm experiencing the spasm..

That was what led me to go have the doctor check me out,but he did not really have me get any tests done,he just prescribed the ozmeperole,which did seem to help after a few weeks..but at times it doesn't seem to do very much good regardless of the doseage..

"Bad" stomachs and intestines run in my family--my dad suffered with ulcers for decades and had 2/3rds of his stomach removed in 1976,always had bouts of severe vomiting if he got emotionally upset (without any warning at other times too--usually at meal time,which of course affected all of us)--he passed in 2000 from a bowel obstruction after having parkinson's disease the last 15 years of his life..
I think we all inherited his stomach issues to some degree...also the issues my mom suffered with often,migraines and anxiety,depression too..

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
My doctor just "assumed" I had acid reflux,the weird thing was I rarely ever had any heartburn or that sour burp experience ,even at night,unless I had eaten something spicy or set off my stomach...he insisted a lot of folks have it,and never realize it due to lack of such symptoms...
OH, I had the symptoms alright... stabbing pain above the solar plexus or the back between the shoulder blades. Also a lasting pain just below the rib cage. I can see why they call it heartburn since the pain is so close to the heart. Had the acid come up into my throat too. Doctor made me drink barium and then something that gave me gas. Spun me around on an X-ray machine to watch the barium come back up. I guess they wanted to see if the acid burned a hole through the esophagus or not. I was lucky to catch it before that happened. A friend of the wife had serious complications from the acid burning a hole.

I've also heard that ignoring the excess acid, that the body will rob the calcium from other places in your body to try to neutralize the acid. When I had a bone scan done, the doctor had to double-check she had the right report. Said mine looked like someone ten years older than me.

Manning up and ignoring the symptoms is the wrong thing to do.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I had some symptoms of GERD, but not a classic case of Acid Reflux. While the Dr was continuing to evaluate results of various tests he put my on omeprazol 40 mg for a couple months. During that time, I really did not have any of the symptoms, but ultimately I was diagnosed with Eosinophilic esophagitis. Often confused with Acid Reflux, but more likely the result of certain food allergies. It was determined that the Omeprazol was not particularly useful in treatment of my symptoms and that I should just quit. Easier said than done. I learned the hard way that the stomach develops a hyper acid build-up to combat the omeprazol. For about 6 weeks while weaning myself off Omeprazol I had the worst acid indigestion of my entire life. When I mentioned it to the Dr he kind of acknowledged that it is a known problem when quitting, but hadn't mentioned it to me. Thanks Doc.

Anyway, the EE is only a problem when I eat certain bread things, like bagels, soft pretzels, hard rolls, and it seems to be worse if the bread is a day or two old. Anyway, for me, it has been much easier to avoid those type foods than treating with a drug.

Good luck to all of you battling the symptoms. I know they are no fun. Hope you find some kind of comfort.
I have the same: Eosinophilic esophagitis. And my words would echo everything Jere says.

It's been a long road to recovery and I've gotten much better since the diagnosis after an endoscopy in my 30's, but it is a lifelong problem I feel.

One of the most-helpful tests was a food allergy test. I get strong reactions from yeasts found in most store breads and beer. (I can eat wraps and hard ciders without issue :tango_face_wink: )

I've been through sessions of drinking the vinegars, taking HCL and licorice pills, along with Prilosec, Prevacid, and Nexium, but they are all meant to be temporary. Currently I am down to generic Prevacid (lansoprazole) and/or Tums as needed (every other day or every couple of days), but most importantly staying away from foods that cause a reaction and exercise to get rid of the spare tire around my waist.

Don't let the doctor tell you those proton pump inhibitors are safe for lifetime use. (mine did) Only recently they've discovered side effects like dimentia from prolonged use. I'm sure more will be found as those drugs are still fairly new to humans. Good luck to everyone posting.

·
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I cut everything but water and tea off the list of things I drink. No more sugary stuff, nothing alcoholic, not even juice that might be acidic. I was drinking mostly water anyway but I'd have a beer or a mixed drink pretty often. Stopped fried foods with the occasional exception and I've been avoiding tomato sauce like the plague. Fried foods didn't seem to flare up the symptoms but I'm sure they contribute to my inability to lose weight, haha. Symptoms seem to be subsiding a bit, I've been able to take 1 Prevacid every other day with no ill effects so far. I also bought a bicycle and have been riding often to try and get back down below 200lbs. I'm 6"1' and I've boxed most of my life so 195 is about as light as I want to be, anything less and I'll be looking like that thing from the Blair Witch. Doctor says I'd be fine right around 200, right now I'm at 220. The goal is to cut some fat without losing muscle mass. Anyway I'm still trying to weed some other crap out of my diet, figured slowly transitioning would be less painful than going full health nut overnight.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,603 Posts
My stomach has improved a lot since the stressful situation regarding a neighbor has died down--I am certain your state of mind affects digestion and overall health a lot more than doctors and patients think it does..

I'm sure if something else stresses me out again,the symptoms will worsen instantly with a vengence..and every day,there is always something unpleasant to deal with,lately for the past month things have not been that stressful,that can change any minute however..

·
Registered
972 Posts
I believe any drug legal,illegal,natural whatever could potentally confuse or make lazy, your bodys natural god given ability to correct problems and kill bad stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts