My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Husqvarna RZ5424 from Sears and while I love the mower Sears can't get the right bagger for me yet, they keep selling me last years bagger. :( I am sure they will resolve it, but I am thinking about returning the mower since I am PO'd.

After reading here a bit, I see that most of these low-end ZTRs use the non user serviceable Hydro-Gear EZT transmission. What is the expected life on this unit? I know my last Hydro, a Sears 19 year old tractor was running strong when I sold it a few weeks ago and that was not user serviceable.

What I have noticed is that Cub Cadet has a $3500 ZTR mower with a filter and John Deere has a $4099 ZTR mower that has a filter and reservoir as well. I am second guessing my $2999 decision and thinking about upgrading to one of these units.

I am wondering if it is worth taking the EZT and drilling it for a drain plug? I have to guess in a non-combustion environment, the oil has to probably last for years.

Chris

·
JD318
990 Posts
No idea on the ZTR's, but I would imagine that they "should" be set up to last for awhile. I don't think your towing things with it, so it should last for mowing.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I do not think drilling would be good. Even if you know you are in the correct spot, you would contaminate the internals with the added metal shavings which is especially bad with no external filter. (and I've heard re-assembling a hydro can be really really difficult)

I know last year there was a relatively no-name ZTR with dual (light commercial, serviceable) ZT2800's for $3K sold at one of the farm stores, I think TSC, around here. I'm not sure if anything less than the Tank CC's would be really worth the upgrade to CC. The Deere may be decent, but you may want to check out some of the more commercial ZTR makes like Skag, Hustler, Dixon that run near that range..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts