My Tractor Forum banner

Anyone added a 3rd function?

23118 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  dsevern
I may be "underthinking" this again, but after going to both ends of the internet, I've found that adding third function hydraulics to my L2800 so I can add a grapple to the FEL is going to cost between $775 for a kit, to "about $1000" to have a dealer install said 3rd function. That looks like a lot of money for what appears to me to be basically a valve, some fittings and a couple of lengths of hose.
I heard the idea of using the rear connections, but I have a backhoe attached, which is really handy for big stumps, and takes about 30 minutes to remove or reinstall, so that's too big a pain when I'm clearing brush (including trees) from my land.
Has anyone done a "self invented" kit/installation for 3rd function on an FEL that would actually recommend a fairly ignorant wrench turner (me) to try it? Or do the smarter folks here recommend I pay the dealer to install the kit and shut up?
(I feel constrained to add that I'm getting cheap because of how much I'm going to cough up to get the grapple itself, to clear the area to build a fence to enclose the well to serve the barn to...well you get the picture.)
1 - 1 of 7 Posts
Dive in! As long as you can post pictures I'm sure we can help you work through any snags you run into. I'm by no means a metal master, the grapple was one of my first major projects and I leaned alot of thinks that I would do differently if I were to do it again.

However I can tell you the grapple has been one of my most used implements on the tractor, I'd say its been on the loader just as much or more than the materials bucket.

You already have the PB on the tractor for the backhoe so I'd say tying in shouldn't be a problem. That was the hardest part for my 3rd function intall, tying in and finding a place to mount the valve itself lol.

Gezze looks like you used pretty much the same valve I did for my setup on my 2320. I used mine for aux hyd out the back to run a hyd top link and turn the chute on my blower. I used all custom made rubber lines and in the end was out over $800.00. Heck up here I paid almost $300.00 just for the electric diverter valve. I think I will take some of you ideas and redo the lines to hard lines as I want to add another function to the unit for a hyd side link. Gotta say your install looks pretty sweet.

Here is the thread I did on my install, just rear remotes instead of extras on the front.
1 - 1 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.