My Tractor Forum banner

Anybody using Battery push mowers?

5K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  Obscured_by_Clouds 
#1 ·
I'm about fed up with babying gassers to keep them running. Battery pushers aren't exactly cheap, but if they work, you might save a bit on gas over a couple of years.

Concerns are battery life and strength in longer grass.

I'm looking at Ryobi since I know they honor their 3 year battery warranty. One thing I've noticed though is no side discharge unless you buy an extra/optional chute that clips onto the rear chute in place of the bag.

#2 ·
Do not have one, but did research a couple... at the end, decided against it as the battery life and reliability (of the batteries) is still not there. For the cost of replacing them... I just could not do it. So I am going over my old craftsman mower to fix a gas leak (after all these years of just sitting in the garage, sucker started with one pull)... and use that when I need a small mower.

I did get the Kobalt 80-Volt Max trimmer, edger, and 140pmh blower... I only have a couple of months with those. Great to not have to deal with the headaches I had before starting their gas versions... who knows how long the batteries will last...

#4 ·
I recently bought a Toro gas personal pace mower, and I'm not that thrilled with the engine on it. If I decide to replace this mower i will likely do so with an electric one. There are a few out there that have some nice features although I haven't studied battery life on them yet. I've been impressed with my battery powered weed eater and how much it can do on a single battery charge.

#6 ·
I recently bought a Kobalt 20 inch self-propelled walk behind electric mower at Lowes. It was model KMP5040-06. It has side-discharge, mulch, or a bagger.

It has a 40 volt lithium-ion battery. The mower has a 5 year warranty, and the battery is 3 years.

It works well. It's quiet, lightweight, and zips right along. The cut is good. My only disappointment is the battery charge life. The salesman told me the battery would run about 3 hours between charges, and my experience is closer to 1 hour if I push the mower and don't use the self-propelled drive much.

I couldn't do my all trim mowing with the one 5 Ah battery, so I tried to buy a second battery. You can't buy a 5 Ah battery anywhere, at any price. The best I could get was a 4 Ah battery, and it was expensive. But with the two batteries, I can run it self-propelled and finish all my trim mowing.

I mow most of my lawn with my tractor, and just wanted something to get into the tight spots where the tractor doesn't fit, and a steep bank where it wouldn't be safe. So I'm good with this electric. It's nice not to have to deal with gas, stabilizers, oil, filters, sparkplugs, and it's easy to fold up and store. Cal

Reactions: Fediej and PA318Guy
#8 ·
I recently bought a Kobalt 20 ... .

I couldn't do my all trim mowing with the one 5 Ah battery, so I tried to buy a second battery. You can't buy a 5 Ah battery anywhere, at any price. The best I could get was a 4 Ah battery, and it was expensive. But with the two batteries, I can run it self-propelled and finish all my trim mowing.
That's why I'm looking at Ryobi. They've been around long enough now and have enough of an assortment of tools and batteries, i can't see them being a problem.

I've had several 18V One Plus batteries replaced with no question and the 40V have the same 3 year warranty.

#7 ·
I have some Ryobi 18 Volt stuff but no mowers. My neighbor has a tiny Ryobi 13 inch battery mower and has already had one battery fail. There is a guy who comes to mow a hone for sale behind me who is using the larger Ryobi mower that has self propell and takes 2 batteries. He says he likes it and it seems to do a good job. I think battery powered mowers have there place. Smaller property. Someone who is not mechanically inclined. I guess I have used the older Lawnboys for so long and enjoy using them that I would not consider a battery mower as my wife and I are still mowing 6 properties in the neighborhood and I don't think battery mowers would fit the bill. Just my opinion. Bill

Reactions: Lawnboybricktop
#9 ·
Those battery powered mowers have come a long way just in the last 10 years, or so. The lithium Ion batts are a real game changer. My neighbor across the street recently bought one and it does a fantastic job of cutting and is perfect for the majority of lawns in my neighborhood. I suspect the problems that folks are talking about on here will soon be solved within a few years. Having said that, I'll probably stick to my Lawnboys for the duration of my time on earth, I've got too much invested in these old gassers to change over.

#10 ·
I got a Black & Decker battery powered string trimmer and that fills my needs fine. I'm not impressed with the battery powered mowers I have seen. They are expensive, heavy, have longish recharge times, and batteries are expensive to replace. I am also not sure how the batteries will tolerate being stored in freezing temps in a shed or garage. Would I need to build a display case in my living room to keep them warm? I have recently embraced the idea of electric powered equipment, but the kind that plugs into an extension cord. I have 2 corded electric chainsaws, a small corded electric wood chipper, 2 corded hedge trimmers and a corded string trimmer. They are instant on with a press of a button with no rope pulling required, no recharge time no heavy batteries and they were all affordable. So if I was looking for a non-gas mower, it would be a corded one for much less money that the battery ones. I've used a corded electric mower in the past, and once I got used to having to deal with the cord, it wasn't hard to use. AND THIS IS SOME BRAGGING ON MY PART! I have never once cut a cord (yet).

Reactions: wachuko
#17 ·
I recently switched to a corded chain saw and hedge trimmer since I dont have any large trees. Chainsaw works fine and the hedge trimmer as well, but unlike you I got distracted and sliced a cord with the hedge trimmer once :mad:

Reactions: bontai Joe
#14 ·
I'll stick with what I have. It works, and I know when I go to use it it'll start up and do what it's supposed to do.

Let me also add that I enjoy working on what I own and not having to rely on electrical connections failing or batteries failing is a major plus. Not knocking the ones that do use battery operated things, just my take.

#18 ·
I've got 3 battery operated mowers as well as 8 running Lawn-Boys from 1977 to 2003.

All 3 battery mowers I have are 21" Steel Deck (20" cut) and include a 40V Pusher, a 40V Self Propelled, and an 80V Self Propelled. Really enjoy using them especially prefer them on a hot summer day ... or if the grass is long and I have to bag. The modern rear baggers are so much easier to use (putting on, pulling off & dumping) and actually hold MORE grass than a side or rear bagger L-B.

On cooler days when I can mulch or if I'm in a hurry I'll grab a 3-Speed Lawn-Boy as they drive faster and since they are 21" cut they have an extra inch of cutting width.

Here is my detailed thread discussing the two 40V Greenworks ones I bought in 2018:
(19) Greenworks 40V 21" Brushless Lawn Mower ... | My Tractor Forum

Here is my detailed thread on the 80V Kobalt line:
(1) New Kobalt 80V Max Line | Lawn Mower Forum

Doug

Reactions: Lawnboy77
#22 ·
...if maintenance is done regularly and good quality gas they work great
That's true, and I commend you for it.

But that's also the very point of battery/electric mowers. No fuel, fuel storage or fuel filter, no oil or oil filter, no air filters, no recoil starter, no choke or carburetor, and really no maintenance. Just keep the batteries charged.

I can fold it flat and hang it on a wall. I can flip it over to sharpen or change a blade, with no fuel or oil issues. It's quiet, and I can stop/start with the push of a button. I just use it as a trim mower, and do the lawn with my YT. Cal

#21 ·
I have a 60v Greenworks Pro and an 80V Kobalt Self Propelled mower. I am not a fan of the self propel, but the battery life is excellent on both, so is the power. My Greenworks has a 4 Ah battery, and I can mow my yard (1/4 acre) and my neighbor's front yard (1/8th acre) on one charge under normal conditions.

#25 ·
Now that's a battery!! Bill

#26 ·
Back when I was on Church Council, I was the Property guy. We had this stubborn guy who would keep getting new or nearly new mowers, and they kept dying after a year or two. "Oh, I'm gonna get a Sears this time, they're bulletproof!" He would NOT listen to reason, and just went ahead and wasted other people's money AGAIN. His wonderful Sears died after only a year.

Instead of looking at WHY they were quitting, he just kept pouring sand down the rathole. That jerk wasted well over $1200 on stubbornness because he would just go out and buy without consulting Council or anybody else, for that matter. This is also the same guy who got caught helping himself to the use of the church's pressure washer...

We have a full city block to mow, some parts with substantial slopes, and the slopes were enough to make the gas engines lose lubrication. My mobility isn't great, but one afternoon I heard somebody mowing and stopped to watch and listen. I could hear what was going on, it was that plain. So I did the research, and wanted to buy local to support local business, so bought a STIHL pusher from our local OPE store. Everyone loved that it didn't take gas, all you did was pull the battery out of the charger, drop it in, and go mowing. The OPE store also did free blade sharpening for a while as a thanks for buying local. All it took was a one-block-walk with the mower. That mower's been in twice-a-week service for years, now. Long enough that the people who are pushing it are getting to the age where they need a self-propelled. And my replacement on Council is going to trade it in for a STIHL self-propelled.

#27 ·
I've had an EGO 21" push mower for several years. Also have the 16" chainsaw and 15" string trimmer. Love them all. Had 1 battery failure 2 years ago and it was replaced under warranty. Have both the normal and the fast chargers; about 30 minute recharge with the fast. Can use any of the batteries in any of the tools. Got the mower initially for our 400 sf lawn. Couple years ago got a 10 acre piece of land that is totally undeveloped. We've put that equipment thru some rough work; on the tall grass I'll knock it down with the trimmer then go thru with the mower, usually several times at different height settings. We have probably 1.5 acres that we keep mowed so far with the push mower; will take several battery changes to get it all done but the charger will keep up with the mowing. I got an old riding mower a couple months ago that worked great until the engine died; in the process of rebuilding it now but also saving up for an electric ZTR. Deciding between the EGO and Ryobi. Hopefully will have something for next year as it's a real chore keeping it all mowed with the push mower, but hey it's a good workout.😁

#28 ·
I really like the new rechargable pushers. Frankly for much of the homeowners they will work as well, or better then gassers. It wont work for either of my houses, because there is just too much lawn, but if I was in a city lot, with not much lawn, they would be top of my list. Look at it this way.. They have their issues, but we all know most mowers get pitched because they are not used long enough to use up the gas in them, and they clog up.

This post has been deleted
#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was supposed to see an online store with a 19-inch [. I also saw a 21" at a local nursery power shore, and now I'm confused about which one is more good. Both are push mowers. My lawn care guy would be doing the pushing. Does anybody have experience or any recommendations about this? Your suggestions are invited.
I suggest what I described in post #6 (above) of this thread.

"My only disappointment is the battery charge life. The salesman told me the battery would run about 3 hours between charges, and my experience is closer to 1 hour if I push the mower and don't use the self-propelled drive much. I couldn't do my all trim mowing with the one 5 Ah battery, so I tried to buy a second battery. You can't buy a 5 Ah battery anywhere, at any price. The best I could get was a 4 Ah battery, and it was expensive. But with the two batteries, I can run it self-propelled and finish all my trim mowing."

You're shopping for a "push" mower, but it will still be self-propelled. If your lawn care guy uses the self-propelled, your battery will eventually last 30 minutes. If he actually pushes it, the battery will eventually last 45 minutes. My advice is to factor in the cost of a second battery. And actually purchase the second battery with the mower so that you're certain you can get one. It doesn't matter what brand you buy, the battery issue will be the same. Cal

#30 ·
If someone was handy with fabrication it sure wouldn't take much to make a battery mower. The main part to find would be a 12 VDC motor that's heavy duty. It would need to be about 3,000 rpm (whatever rpm a gas mower turns). A $30 Walmart Everstart mower battery, wires and a switch. Mounted on an old mower frame (probably free from a mower shop), a bushing for motor shaft to blade size.
Chargers aren't expensive either.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Just like with cars, I'm not opposed to the idea of going electric when the time is right. When my current mower and 4runner are beyond repair, if we've got the technology down to where it lasts and the batteries are recycled properly, I'm in. But it would defeat the purpose to just throw away my gas stuff and switch to electric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.