My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mows Too Much Gr***
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone gave me an OLD Grass King reel mower a few years ago and it is sitting in my garage, I don't know if I should try to restore it or what? I have cut grass with it. It is very old with cast iron wheels and wooden handle. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Are people into these? Is it worth anything? Should I try to restore it, leave it as is? what? It's taking up space.

·
Registered
593 Posts
There are a few MTF posters who comment on reel mowers, so post away. Also, let me know if you come across a picture/site/ID of a green reel mower with a 1.75 HP Briggs and Stratton on it; I'm trying to figure out what we had when I was a kid.

·
Mows Too Much Gr***
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the Grass King fresh from cutting a little grass, still works but needs oil, adjustment and sharpening. Neat old mower. Is it worth something to a collector? Not necessarily trying to sell it, just wondering. I thought about restoring it as it wouldn't take much, but I don't know if I should or where to begin. I know I don't plan on pushing it around for too long LOL! It's *slightly* heavier than your modern reels.
How old do you guys think it is? I can't find any info on it.

Attachments

·
dirtgeezer
1,441 Posts
They are just the thing to build a riding mower for your wife, get an old 26" one speed American bike and use the mower in place of the front fork and front tire.
There is a picture of one running around on the internet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Sanjo, that is a nice old mower. Reel mowers are thought to cut better than the rotary mowers most of us use now. They cut more like a scissor.

I wouldn't want to use it for more than to try it out. It could be used for punishment though. If you have a son or grandson that is pushing your patience a little too much, and doen't believe your life was tougher back then stories. You could threaten to have him push the old "Grass King" around to cut the lawn. He migh like it, but that wouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Sanjo, I just read your intro. Well maybe you don't have kids to threaten then. Do you have a crew working for you? Maybe you could keep it on the truck.

I used to use one like that for when I was young, probaly like LilysDad about 7 or so. I remember sometimes the wheel that drives the blades would be hard to push but I'd be going along and it would the wheel would skid. It left marks in the lawn. After a few episodes of that my dad bought a gasoline powered rotary mower. I am sure with proper lube it would work fine.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,645 Posts
let me know if you come across a picture/site/ID of a green reel mower with a 1.75 HP Briggs and Stratton on it; I'm trying to figure out what we had when I was a kid.

TQ, I have an old reel mower that belonged to my grandfather..about a '52. Its an excello mower green & orange I think.

Briggs 5S with self propelled wheels.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a couple of power reel mowers. A California trimmer and a Mclane. Both are briggs and stratton 2 or 3 hp, 20" cut, front throw with grass catchers. I like each of them and currently am deciding which one I would part with, I cannot decide. The both have there plusses and minus.

·
Retired Mod
3,734 Posts
I have a couple of power reel mowers. A California trimmer and a Mclane. Both are briggs and stratton 2 or 3 hp, 20" cut, front throw with grass catchers. I like each of them and currently am deciding which one I would part with, I cannot decide. The both have there plusses and minus.

just keep them both & if you dont have the room build another shed! :ROF :trink39:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.