My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posting here because Troy-Bilt section mainly deals with newer big-box store (tin foil) models. Slap me if it's not okay to put this here... :hide:

I recently picked up a very nice Troy-Bilt 13066 (LTX16?) with a mower deck, tiller, and a blade. It only has 168 hours on it, and the impliments were in near-new condition. I know this thing is no Deere 212 (I used to own two of them before I moved) but I can't find ANY decent old lawn tractors out here in Utah, so the Troy will have to do for now. Besides, for $400 I couldn't go wrong with the deal.

I know that Bolens made this unit prior to Troy-Built buying the mower line... so I was wondering if anyone has tried to convert their Bolens (Troy-Bilt equivalent tractor) to the electric lift system. I understand it was an option on the original tractor, but mine doesn't have it. There's even an empty space on the dash for the control switch.

I'm thinking of slipping a 500lb actuator in place of the manual lever linkage... I might need to do some modification under there, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Will 500lbs be enough to lift the tiller (probably the heaviest impliment made for this thing)? It's a bear to do it by hand!!! I'm already fabricating a sleeve hitch which will connect to the same linkage, so it would be very nice to have it all electric powered.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Posting here because Troy-Bilt section mainly deals with newer big-box store (tin foil) models. Slap me if it's not okay to put this here... :hide:

I recently picked up a very nice Troy-Bilt 13066 (LTX16?) with a mower deck, tiller, and a blade. It only has 168 hours on it, and the impliments were in near-new condition. I know this thing is no Deere 212 (I used to own two of them before I moved) but I can't find ANY decent old lawn tractors out here in Utah, so the Troy will have to do for now. Besides, for $400 I couldn't go wrong with the deal.

I know that Bolens made this unit prior to Troy-Built buying the mower line... so I was wondering if anyone has tried to convert their Bolens (Troy-Bilt equivalent tractor) to the electric lift system. I understand it was an option on the original tractor, but mine doesn't have it. There's even an empty space on the dash for the control switch.

I'm thinking of slipping a 500lb actuator in place of the manual lever linkage... I might need to do some modification under there, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Will 500lbs be enough to lift the tiller (probably the heaviest impliment made for this thing)? It's a bear to do it by hand!!! I'm already fabricating a sleeve hitch which will connect to the same linkage, so it would be very nice to have it all electric powered.
Your machine was produced in 1993 and doesn't show the elec. lift as an option according to the Service desk reference. Your lift is part of the Eaton Hydro.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Your machine was produced in 1993 and doesn't show the elec. lift as an option according to the Service desk reference. Your lift is part of the Eaton Hydro.
If that is the case, it should not be too hard to add the factory cylinder, oil filter, splitter, & single spool lift in dash. Is there a slot cut out in the dash covered by the dash sticker? Maybe two studs tacked onto the back of the dash where the spool would mount?

·
Registered
844 Posts
If that is the case, it should not be too hard to add the factory cylinder, oil filter, splitter, & single spool lift in dash. Is there a slot cut out in the dash covered by the dash sticker? Maybe two studs tacked onto the back of the dash where the spool would mount?
He says he has the spot for the switch in the dash. So adding the hydro button should be easy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow - thanks for all the info. Yes, there's a spot for the switch, and it does have the hydrostatic transmission.

What exactly would be needed to add the lift unit? I have an electrical background, and I can weld, but I'm admittedly a total noob when it comes to hydraulics...

I have 2 things going for me here:
1) I'm willing to learn, and
2) At 54 years old, I'm motivated to eliminate the difficulty of schlepping that lift lever!

·
Registered
844 Posts
He says he has the spot for the switch in the dash. So adding the hydro button should be easy.
I am digging for more info and seems there is conflicting info between Service reference manual, parts manual and an actual working tractor I can see on youtube.

Also, my brother has this machine and his is hydro lift from what he tells me. I need to investigate further.

:hide:

:dunno:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am digging for more info and seems there is conflicting info between Service reference manual, parts manual and an actual working tractor I can see on youtube.

Also, my brother has this machine and his is hydro lift from what he tells me. I need to investigate further.

I certainly appreciate it!!! :thanku:

In the spirit of "giving", I'm going to take some pictures of the sleeve hitch assembly I'm building. Some of it is standard stuff, but the attachment system I'm working on is going to be a quick-attach system which uses the same studs as the tiller pulley assembly. When it's done, it will be one bolt (through the hitch ball hole) and it's on/off. Maybe your brother would be interested in making his own. I have a fair amount of time into just getting it fabricated to fit correctly... I'm trying to use standard angle-iron and easy to get materials. Should be awesome when it's done. Then, I get to start working on the landscape rake it will be used for.

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
Is it an Eaton 751 or 851? The 751 has not charge pump, while the 851 does. I think some models also came with a Eaton 750/850, which are now discontinued.

The Eaton numbers are stamped on the side of unit.

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
Wow - thanks for all the info. Yes, there's a spot for the switch, and it does have the hydrostatic transmission.

What exactly would be needed to add the lift unit? I have an electrical background, and I can weld, but I'm admittedly a total noob when it comes to hydraulics...

I have 2 things going for me here:
1) I'm willing to learn, and
2) At 54 years old, I'm motivated to eliminate the difficulty of schlepping that lift lever!

There may also be a spring lift assist kit. This is also adjustable depending on which item the lift is being used for. But this model might not have it. the l

the Ltx16 probably does not apply.

Just so you know............both a parts manual and service manual are free downloads for this as well.

Per the service manual the Suburban tractors were standard lift assemblies with optional electric. However the service manual from bolens stops the year before the 13066 year, I think.

Oh and this is definitely the place to learn. Lots of helpful people.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There may also be a spring lift assist kit. This is also adjustable depending on which item the lift is being used for. But this model might not have it. the l

the Ltx16 probably does not apply.

Just so you know............both a parts manual and service manual are free downloads for this as well.

Per the service manual the Suburban tractors were standard lift assemblies with optional electric. However the service manual from bolens stops the year before the 13066 year, I think.

Oh and this is definitely the place to learn. Lots of helpful people.
Appreciate the help. The problem I am having is that there is precious little info out there once Troy-Bilt took over the machines. There's a LOT more info to be had if I go to Bolens people... :fing32:

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
I have to agree that less information is out there. Not sure who is to blame though. A more intense search sometimes helps. like looking under "legacy" models.

I tend to place more blame on MTD than Bolens or Troy Bilt. I think the drop of information occurred when MTD bought the "rights to the name" from the Garden Way bankruptcy liquidation. MTD did away with a lot of that documentation in the same manner as they did away with Troy-Bilt's lifetime guarantee on some products. I do not mean willfully destroying , when I say "did away". Lots of the information is on their site, but think the information was lost during transfer of assets. And they did the best job they could with what they had.

Again just my thoughts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny, but there are "Garden Way" (label-type) stickers all over my tractor. Looks like the factory put them on.

Even though I'm in Utah, the original receipt shows they were purchased in WI. The total price was just over $5,000 for everything!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Funny, but there are "Garden Way" (label-type) stickers all over my tractor. Looks like the factory put them on.

Even though I'm in Utah, the original receipt shows they were purchased in WI. The total price was just over $5,000 for everything!
Garden Way WAS the parent company for Bolens/Troy Bilt before it went bankrupt and was acquired by MTD.

:kens:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. That's why I came here (Bolens) instead of the Troy-Bilt forum. The Troy-Bilt forum pretty much only deals with the newer tin-foil "tractors" that are sold through the big-box stores... those, and roto-tillers.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yes. That's why I came here (Bolens) instead of the Troy-Bilt forum. The Troy-Bilt forum pretty much only deals with the newer tin-foil "tractors" that are sold through the big-box stores... those, and roto-tillers.
Hey rgoers,

I got word that my brother will be bringing his Troy-Bilt over for me to do some work on it. Not sure when he's bringing it, but, when it gets here I can get dibs and pics to possibly help you out if you still need the help when it gets here.

:fing32:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey rgoers,

I got word that my brother will be bringing his Troy-Bilt over for me to do some work on it. Not sure when he's bringing it, but, when it gets here I can get dibs and pics to possibly help you out if you still need the help when it gets here.

:fing32:

That would be great! Does his have power lift?

I found this yesterday - not sure if it's for my exact model, but it sure looks like it would work.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=...+LIFT+KIT+(S/N+0100101-0599999)&dn=0040400001

Sure wish mine was Bolens-branded... there's so much more info available on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts