My Tractor Forum banner

Anybody deal with installing handcontrols for travel?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ken erickson 
#1 ·
I wanted to say "hi" and thanks for running a nice forum here!

I just sold my little Case 224 workhorse and I am looking to buy a sub-compact or compact, used , with a budget of $7000, give or take.

Here is the caveat. I have a spinal cord injury that limits me to a tractor with hand controls. The Case 224 had a dash mounted throttle and a forward/reverse lever mounted in a similar location that a turn signal lever would be mounted. In short it was perfect for me, no modifications at all.

I have spent most of my life in metal fab industries, installed hand controls in all my street cars and trucks for decades and feel comfortable handling the mods my self. My questions is, has anyone had experience or first hand knowledge of a CUT with forward/reverse travel controls modified for hand use? I will limit my choice of tractor to hydro drive.

I am looking at the BX Kubota series, but would prefer the B series tractors, 20 to 24 hp range. I will be using the tractor for snow removal in winter, and gravel driveway maintenance in the warm months. Front mounted snowblower, box scraper with 3 pt mounting in rear. Loader optional, no mowing deck required.

Any thoughts or input welcome, legal issues not withstanding.

Thanks in advance ,

Ken

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
tractor with a rocker stile peddle set up where the forward and reverse are on the same peddle that way you only got to wurie about one leaver for forward and reverse

Thanks for the response so far guys!

With my Case, and little White riding mower with hydro lever on fender, I am able to find a travel speed and take my hands off the lever and steer with both, steer with one hand , raise lower the implement with other. With just one lever bolted to the rocker pedal I assume you have to keep your hand on the lever while traveling? In my mind I envision perhaps a single fender mounted lever with a center neutral , push for forward/pull for reverse.

I would love to see a picture of your setup if you ever get the chance:thanku:

Ken

Discussion starter · #7 ·
or you could create a channel for the lever to slide in with notches on the side, and then you could move the lever to the desired position and then slide it sideways into one of the notches to hold the position against the return springs to free up that hand.
I think this may work out very well. I had a friend, comes from a farming family, suggest the same thing.

Thanks for the links and suggestions!

I am headed 125 miles in the morning to look at a used 97 Kubota 7100. I am a bit unsure, as this one does not have power steering assist. I have good upper body strength so hope its a non-issue. If there is an interest, if I purchase it, I would be happy to document with pictures, my modifications.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.