My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
new to the site and have a 82 seca 650 turbo..man what fun on the boost im only 58 yrs old and never had kids so i never grew up..found it up in deroit im in kenton ohio..had 5k mi on it and cost me a grand..needed carb work and man does she fly glad its only got a 85mph speedo on it cause really dont wanna know how fast im going ..its usually past that mark..parst are all over ebay so im good for a few more years..hope to hear from ay turbo owners..gregg in nw ohio

Attachments

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Those are really cool bikes. I've never owned one but have worked on a few. You can make a ton of power out of those engines with a little fab work and a few parts. There is a larger turbo that is pretty much an exact bolt on but I cant for the life of me remember who makes it. The biggest issue you'll have modding, if you do, is getting the carbs to behave under more boost. It's been a while since I've wrenched on one, is it a blow through turbo or a suction system like buick used on the GN.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool that u know about them

i havent installed the power up boost kit to take it to 12 psi of boost yet,im still at 7psi i have the parts..dont need to be doing wheelies or spinning a tire at 85 mph .or i can just block off the vacume line and get 14 psi and let the waste gate take care of excess boost..,i ant going there,,guys have successfully got 20 lbs of boost out of them..after 22 the top end blows....pistons wer forged and thicker and the crank was made special for the power..its a breed of its own and full of little problems being 26 yrs old relays and electrical goodies..and then the fuel pump system pehaps the most nagging complaint about the bike ..thanks for the replay ..nice to know someone remembers the beast.aint many left on the road nowdays.but not a collector money maker either..gregg

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
If you up the boost at all your best bet is a boost controller instead of just capping off the line. I've seen some motors experience "boost creep" under full throttle due to capped off lines which can take an engine apart if you're not careful. The last one I messed with had an upgraded turbo and fuel delivery system but the bottom end was bone stock. If I remember correctly the owner ran around 18psi and it made tons of power and was super reliable. Other than the typical electrical gremlins you'll have a blast with yours. It's nice to see them still on the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i used to own one about 15 yrs ago

and sold it and always had sellers remorse for doing it..doesnt sound like any other bike makes that whine turbo noise..well im at 7 psi boost now and with the power up restrictor i can go yo 12 psi but i removed it from the bike cause it was uncontrollable..wanted to wheelie at turbo boost..first time it did that i was caught way off guard..gets about 55 mpg driving it in a sane manner ..yep they dont make them like that anymore ,,only bad thing is its very top heavy..very easy to drop it ..and the brakes suck...might as well do a fred flinstone and drag ur feet..lol..fun to ride ..later gregg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts