My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a GT235, have a Johnny Bucket Jr and Sleeve Hitch on order from Johnny Products for it.

Pretty new to Garden Tractors, would appreciate any suggestions as to what Tiller(s) I can use with this tractor.

Would like to put in a pumpkin patch for the grandkids next year. Wife thinks she would like to put in a garden, nothing huge since this will be our first go at it. Wondering what Tiller will work well with the GT235.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If you are looking for a JD tiller, only a 30" mechanical tiller will work. The 42" hydraulic tiller only works with the 325, 335, 345 or GX series. Somebody else may come along and be more specific, but that the quick answer.

·
Super Moderator
16,530 Posts
Here is the 30inch tiller that will work on your Tractor BM20030 machine code 3264M
But any 30inch tiller off one of these model will also work with a parts kit as well
GT242
GT262
GT275
GT225
GT245
GX255
GX325
GX335
GX345
GX355
G100
Sabre Garden tractor
Scotts Garden tractor
The price new for the tiller is $1,529.00 at MSRP
If you want after market tiller there is Bercomac tiller which will work on your tractor as well http://www.bercomac.com/accessories-45-tiller-for-tractors-manual-lift.php
Hope this helps :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have a new old stock tiller that should work for you. It has some storage scratches but has never been on a tractor. It is set up to attach to a 285/320 type machine, even has the original new belt on it. I got this from an ex-JD dealer. He sold his stock to another dealer several years ago, but found this on last summer hidden in the back of the warehouse.

It is in Oklahoma, but I will sell it cheap enough to make shipping feasible.
Send me a pm if interested.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the replies.

Would like to find something used since I'm not really sure how much we'll be using it. Hate to put a lot into a tiller just to have it sit.

Saw the Bercomac mentioned in another thread, looked it up but didn't see any pricing on it.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a new old stock tiller that should work for you. It has some storage scratches but has never been on a tractor. It is set up to attach to a 285/320 type machine, even has the original new belt on it. I got this from an ex-JD dealer. He sold his stock to another dealer several years ago, but found this on last summer hidden in the back of the warehouse.

It is in Oklahoma, but I will sell it cheap enough to make shipping feasible.
Send me a pm if interested.
PM sent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On some of the older tillers (SN: up to 110000) the front brackets are fixed.

Where as on the newer versions (SN: 110001 and up ), they are bolted on.
The older version will not line up without modification, but they can be modified.

The lift arm kit for your gt235 id the BM21343. But may not be available any more.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What brackets exactly are you referring to as being 'fixed'?

What kind of modifications would be required to get a tiller with a S/N below 110000 to line up?
I'm assuming you're referring to one of the drive pulleys being out of alignment, that correct?

The lift arm referenced, would that not be part of the tiller?

·
Super Moderator
16,530 Posts
There are parts kits you have to buy from a deere dealer so older(say a 30inch Tiller off a 240) 30inch tiller will work on your GT235 The kits average $40 to About $78.00 depending on which kit you need to make a certain tiller work on you GT235:thThumbsU

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am referring to the front brackets that attach under the tractor.
I circled them in the images below.
I cut off the existing brackets, welded on spacers with holes. Drilled the frame, then bolted them on. Not too hard.

I assume that one could also cut off the fixed brackets, then buy the newer ones. And drill the frame for the new brackets.

The pulley alignment is the same for all.

As Sergeant said, the lift arms are unique to the tractor. I tried to find the kit on http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

but it said it is not available????

Also the mounting points on the tractor (front and rear), can be made out of bolts and sleeve spacers from tractor supply. I looked at the deere specs, then found hardware that was close.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are two diagrams shown, is that for two different tractors?
Only two brackets need to be relocated, is that correct?

If so, the real issue would be the lift kit.
Does the lift kit allow the tiller to be lifted (rotated up) using the deck lift mechanism?
Would a sleeve hitch be able to lift the tiller or would the sleeve hitch be in the way (tiller not able to mount with sleeve hitch mounted).

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first experience with a tiller - it's all new to me.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't have the sleeve hitch yet, it's the Johnny Products electric assist Sleeve Hitch.

I've got a MIG welder, so if it's just cutting off a couple brackets, adding some spacers and welding or bolting them back on, I'm sure I can do that.

A tiller I'm looking at has a manual lift rod welded to the tiller casing, I'm guessing that will work in place of the lift kit.

I was able to locate the BM21343 lift kit, does that kit allow the deck lift mechanism to operate the tiller lift (tilt)?

--> Edited to add several pics of the tiller I'm considering.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,530 Posts
You do not need a sleeve hitch for the deere 30inch tillers it is lifted by the deck lift . The kits for these tillers allows the tilller to attach to the tractor in place of the mowing deck. The tiller in the pictures will work on your tractor There are parts kits from deere so that the 30inch tiller will mount on your GT235. You may not need a KIt at all even and you should not have to weld or Cut anything for the above tiller to fit on your tractor. Deere has Never made a tiller for there tractors that require a sleeve hitch. Basicly the tiller could be called a frame mounted tiller. I think so mis information was put out to you in another post Some manufactures such as Cub Cadet require a sleeve hitch to mount a tiller and in the past Craftsman tractors also required a sleeve hitch to mount the tiller. The sleeve hitch you getting will be good for mounting rear Implements such as rear Blade,Box Scrape,earth Plow,Cutivator,Disks & rake's that are sleeve hitch Drawn implements. Your Deere dealer can tell you which kit if any you need in order for this tiller to work on your GT235. This Deere manual should help with understanding how the tiller connects to the tractor http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMM138587_B4/Output/Index.html?tM=HO
:thThumbsU
30inch tiller Lift Kits

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Sergeant, that helps a lot.

Sounds like the Tiller will work for me, I just need the Lift kit for my tractor, which my dealer says he can get.

I appreciate all the help from everyone, this forum is an unbelievable resource!

:thanku::thanku::thanku:

·
Super Moderator
16,530 Posts
Have fun tilling with it. Just watch out for Buried obstacles:thThumbsU
And Your welcome

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sergeant,

Not sure what mis-information you are referring to....

Looking at the pictures and serial number, I can say 100% that he will have to modify those brackets.

The reason why, is that the when the "special threaded pins" with the original washers are installed per the manual.
The (SN: up to 110000) will not fit over them, it is not wide enough (they are welded in place).
This is why the later models(SN: 110001 and up) are bolted on, one goes on the inside, one on the outside (for the GT225, GT235, GT245)

This is from the installation manual for the (SN: 110001 and up)
• For GT Series tractors – Install the clips to the outside of tiller frame.
• For 325, 335, 345 or 355D tractors – Install right-hand clip to outside of tiller frame. Install left-hand clip to inside of tiller frame. (SAME FOR GT225,GT235,GT245)
• For other tractor models – Install the clips to the inside of tiller frame.

Here is the link
http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMM138587_B4/Output/Index.html?tM=HO

(And on the sleeve hitch, I never suggested using it. I assumed he was trying to save some cash, by not buying the lift rod kit).

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I asked about the sleeve hitch, only because I have one on order, not for the tiller, but for other purposes. Thought if it would connect to the tiller somehow that would be great.

car46999, are you saying I'll need to relocate two mounting brackets, or just one?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am sure the sleeve hitch could be connected, but I am not sure they would both fit on the tractor at the same time.
Or that it would be worth the time required to fabricate the linkage.

I relocated both brackets about 1/4" more to the outside, but I think moving one could work.

I think the cleanest way is to cut off the old ones, and buy the newer bolt ons (they are ~$18 each). Then drill and bolt on.
AM121050 and AM121051 :trink40:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts