My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to build plastic model cars,trucks in the winter.I have about 200 + kits now.I had 40+built until I had 3 boys who like to play smash up when daddy was gone.I now have about 10 built with better detail and paint,the boys don't get to go near them.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
i dont mind building the odd model car or truck here or there, i gotta have alot of spare time on my hands. i always seem to try to hard and then they turn out just awful. got any pics of your completed models?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Wish I still had some of mine. All the moving I did, didn't take kind to them. I remember my dad liked doing semi-tractor/trailers.

·
close enuff works for me
3,188 Posts
Built a lot of them when growing up, still will build one every couple of years .Have a hemi cuda on the work bench ,still in the box....:fing32:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I know this is a plastic model thread but I just wanted to say that as I got older I moved from Plastic to Die Cast models.

Some of the original plastics makers like Testor and Revell have some great models done in metal give it a try you might like it.

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
My Grandfather used to build quite a few of them. I painted them for him and he assembled them. I used to build models a lot growing up. Now unfortunately I do not have the time to build them. I have a few that are started but not finished. I'll have to dig them out this winter and show my boys.

·
cletus's tractors
405 Posts
I hav eover 600 model kits of all kinds airplanes ships armor tractors cars trucks some are pretty rare a lot of old MPC and bandai collectibles that are still sealed

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,954 Posts
Used to do a LOT of them as a youngster, mostly 1/60 1/180 planes and ships from WWI or WWII.... I have a friend who STILL does them, 25 years later, both of us middle-aged (he's a HECK of a lot better at it than I am, more patience... My model-building skills tended to deteriorate once I started mixing alcohol with my painting... Nothing like a Brown Cow or a Rum & Coke to spice up your paint job! :) ). LAST one I did was one my friend gave me as a birthday present when I turned 20, it was a model of the Titanic... He and I collaborated on building it, it turned out pretty darn nice!

Then I moved out of town to work in a rural school... The high school History teacher was doing a unit on the Titanic, and I agreed to bring my Titanic in for the kids to see.... So I packed it carefully in an open-topped cardboard box, brought it in, showed it off, then took it back to the staff room and set it up on a high shelf above the coat rack before lunch, thinking it was safe in its box there until it was time to go home...

Except for the English teacher, who always tossed her knitted winter scarf up on that shelf when she came in. Up went her scarf after lunchtime supervision...

Then, after work, I'm stepping back into the staff room JUST as the English teacher goes to pull her scarf off the shelf... But its hooked around the funnels of my Titanic....

Yank! SMASH!!!!!!! :crybaby:

It sat in pieces in various places I lived after I left that job, I never had the heart to try to fix it... Eventually I gave it back to my buddy the "real" model builder... Just found the #3 funnel from it sitting in a plastic bin in my bathroom today... Have to see if he still HAS that model sometime...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I used to love those but nobody around me carrys them anymore.. at least not the big stores like walmart and target and kmart.. sure some of the hobby shops may. I wanted to buy one a few months ago and gave up when none of the big stores had em.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The only way for me to find any is Amazon or Ebay. No stores around here have them any more. I probably have around 50 unbuilt kits for when I get time again.

·
cletus's tractors
405 Posts
wow fireman thats impressive

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Fireman,

Great collection of models.. Since you are in Wisconsin, sometime you should head out to Oshkosh for one of the airshows (if you haven't already). I think over 1/2 of your collection are there as real aircraft..

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Very nice!!! Just an amazing collection of aircraft at Oshkosh. Just wish I had the money to be flying in there instead of driving.

·
Registered
34 Posts
thats something i always wanted to do is fly into the show and see it from the air vs driving

1 - 20 of 43 Posts