My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know about you, but I love peppers! :fing02: I love Red, Orange, Yellow and Green Bell peppers, of course, but more than that. I love Jalapeno, Banana, Wax, and well, most any pepper. I'm planting Bells, Sweet Banana, Early Hybrid Jalapeno, Hungarian Not Wax and even Pizza Peppers this year. I'll be looking for others as Spring opens up in order to get more peppers on the table.

I found a site with some fun pepper stuff. It's fairly new, I'm not associated with it, but check it out if you have some time.

http://www.peppercenter.com/

So are there any other "Pepper Heads" out there? Love and plan on growing any peppers this year. let us know what kind, good pepper stories and post any pics you have about growing or preparing peppers. Got any good pepper recipes? Share those with us too.

Greg

·
bitter old man
135 Posts
greg, my wife and I grow peppers for her use every year-- we grow several different bells[ one of which I can't remember the name , but it is purple brown , and heart shaped when ripe]- she also has , yellow bells, yelow hungarians, jalapenos. habaneros, hot bananas, mild bananas, and a small bush pepper , which while the peppers are only about an inch long, they grow several hundred per bush and point up and are very hot. she grows a few chilis too, she dries all of them and grinds them and one teaspoonful of her mixture into a 10 qt. pot of chili makes it soo hot that my lips go numb halfway thru the first bowful,; makes it hard to eat the 2nd and 3rd bowl.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Peppers

We grow peppers every year. Multiple verieties, some for salads, some for canning some are just hot,hot, hot!. A lesson we learned the hard way. One year we had dried a crop of serreno peppers to crush. I had bought the wife a food processor and it was a new toy for her. She placed a container of the dried peppers in the machine and it ground them nicely, except for the dust that escaped and pepper gassed the whole house. We have since learned to place a damp towel over the whole thing before you hit the juice. Even the dogs got gassed.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Oh, Yeah!!!

I grow peppers every year (OK, so I TRY to).

This year I've got;
bell peppers
sweet banana peppers
jalapenos
poblanos

My mother-in-law was born and raised in Mexico, so... we eat a lot of Mexican food....

Steve

·
Once again a Super Member
13,711 Posts
I have my pepper planted this year, Jalapeno, Banana, Serreno, Bell, Habaneros, and Cayenne! Hot peppers for a hot summer doesn't get any better!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Last year, I had jalapeno, cayenne, and hungarian wax peppers. The wax peppers never really took off, but the others were awesome. My in-laws from Cali keep me in good supply of habaneros, although i'd still like to try and grow them.

This year it's just jalapenos and cayenne, but alot of them. If your forehead aint sweatin', your nose is not running, and you don't have the hiccups...it's not hot enough.

Greg

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Pepper recipe did you say? :trink15: Heres one of my favorites...It is a soy sauce base with cayenne or crushed red pepper; excellent on chicken wings, chicken breast, and also would be great on salmon, etc.

I dont measure anything unless im baking, so the ingredients are approximate...

3 TBL crushed red pepper
2 TBL butter
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
corn starch

-saute crushed red pepper over LOW heat for about 5 minutes. Do not burn.
-add soy sauce and water, bring to a boil, and reduce heat.
-add sugar, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
-taste; if soy sauce is too harsh, add a bit of water. Add sugar if not sweet enough.
-mix a little corn starch with water to make a slurry, and whisk in while simmering.
-turn heat off and let thicken.

I now refer to it as my "hey, are you gonna make that sauce, sauce", as I cannot grill chicken or make wings without hearing it. You can also play around with it and add jalapeno slices; like 'em soft- add them with the soy and water...like some texture- add them with the corn starch. You can also add a little garlic or shallots when sauteing the pepper, or add a little orange juice with the soy and water to give it a little twang. If done right, you'll get sweet, then tangy, then a good afterburn.

If you try it, lemme know what ya think of it!

Greg

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, Dang....Greg

You would have to post that recipe just before my bedtime here....Now I'm HUNGRY....ROF

It really looks good and I am going to try it for sure. In fact, if any of you other guys have a pepper/chili/chile recipe, post it here too.

It sounds like there are a bunch of us Pepper Heads here and the gardens are gonna be bursting forth with flavor!

Here's a link I think you'll all want to bookmark:http://www.g6csy.net/chile/index.html Loaded with Chile and peppers info.

Enjoy, and send in pics and more stories as you can...

Greg

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I had some grocery shopping to do and our local Fred Meyer has a garden section...so... that's where I went. I picked up some Serrano, Poblano. Anaheim and Long Red Cayenne pepper seeds. I may be supplying the neighborhood, if they all come in. First year, so anything will be a success.

G

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I gave away alot of peppers and herbs both, and only ran out of peppers. :fing20: Not gonna happen this year!

Speaking of which...heres a question for someone; I have read that different types of peppers should be separated as to not pollinate, so I planted the jalapeno and cayenne peppers at each end of my herb box. On the pack of seeds I just got the other day, itsays to seperate hot peppers from sweet peppers. Now which is it? Can I plant the two side by side, or is it not a good idea?

And Greg- one more thing. Im assuming you are talking about Meijer, right? Kinda like Wallyworld? If so, stay away from their topsoil. I have grown peppers for a couple years and some other herbs for the last 5 or 6 years, and have never had as much trouble getting small plants to grow. All my chives died off slowly, and usually you cant kill them things if ya wanted to. Dunno if it's just coincidence or not, but I'm gonna get my topsoil from someplace else this year just to be safe.

Greg

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greg,

Hmmm will check into the separation thing. My seed packs don't say, so I'll check some other sites.

Fred Meyer is a previously local owned supermarket chain...Freddie's.. Now part of a larger group, I think.

I got my potting soil at Ace Hardware. Here's my thread on it. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=767

G

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Fusion1970 said:
Speaking of which...heres a question for someone; I have read that different types of peppers should be separated as to not pollinate, so I planted the jalapeno and cayenne peppers at each end of my herb box. On the pack of seeds I just got the other day, itsays to seperate hot peppers from sweet peppers. Now which is it? Can I plant the two side by side, or is it not a good idea?
Greg

I've heard that you should seperate your hot peppers from the sweet, or else your sweet peppers will be hot (well, somewhat hot, anyway). I seperated mine with field peas, this year. I've also heard that you should seperate your peppers from your tomatoes, although I don't remember the logic behind that one (other than similar nutritional requirements for both).

HTH
Steve

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it appears that there is no need to separate your hot and sweet pepper plants, unless you want to harvest seeds from them to plant the next year. They will cross pollinate. If you just want to eat the fruit this season, planting together will be fine. The hot won't get sweet and the sweet won't get hot.

Sweeeeet!

Uncle Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts